Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Didn't get much response on this in the fuels forum...thought I'd try here...

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Didn't get much response on this in the fuels forum...thought I'd try here...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 06:41 PM
IFlySlowPlanes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Didn't get much response on this in the fuels forum...thought I'd try here...

The question was, how do you choose a glow fuel?

What I mean is, there are several brands available out there, some with castor, some synthetic, 5%, 10%, 20%, etc. Assuming all things are equal (let's say we're talking 15% with a nominal amount of castor/synthetic oil content (say 18% since that seems to be a common number for factory recommendations)). So all else being equal, is price alone your only remaining consideration or do you take other things into account (brand reputation for example)?

I ask because up til now I've always bought my glow fuel from the LHS at what I consider to be extortionate pricing ($20-30/gal). Since joining a local r/c club, I've discovered that everyone there uses what amounts to a local brew (S&W is the brand I think) which is available at $10/gal or less in quantity. I just ordered a case, mainly because of the price, but also because I'm influenced by the success our many club members have had with the product.

Not trying to open a can of worms, and not recommending any product (I haven't even gotten my case yet, so how would I know?). Just interested in your experiences with regards to buying glow fuel.

Thanks!
Old 10-14-2004, 06:44 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Didn't get much response on this in the fuels forum...thought I'd try here...

Be careful, your thread may disappear back to the fuels and you'll never get an answer. Besides, sometimes it takes a couple days for a thread to get going. Be patient
Old 10-14-2004, 08:19 PM
IFlySlowPlanes

Default RE: Didn't get much response on this in the fuels forum...thought I'd try here...

Just looking at the fuels forum, it's apparent there's next to no activity there, so I'm guessing not many people have it in their "My Forums" list to be checked. But you're right...patience is a virtue!
Old 10-14-2004, 08:20 PM
Nogyro
My Feedback: (10)

I'm flying mostly gas now, but when running glow, I always ran WildCat fuels. I would order for everyone in the club, and get 20-25 cases shipped to my door for $70 freight. There is no reason to pay $20 or $30 a gallon for fuel. http://www.wildcatfuel.com/
Old 10-14-2004, 08:26 PM
jettstarblue

I use "Wildcat" or Sig, both avaiulable at the LHS for about 13 bucks a gallon. I ad some extra castor to bring up the oil to 20-22%. 20-30 bucks is an "extortionate" price!
Old 10-14-2004, 09:31 PM
mpalermo

You could always mix your own... I can mix up a gallon of 15% for 11 bucks....

Mike
Old 10-14-2004, 10:38 PM
Cyclic Hardover

Default .

Old 10-14-2004, 10:41 PM
Cyclic Hardover

Try out a gallon. I have found that the larger glows tend to run better on the low nitro. I also found that most other glows run well on low nitro. If you have a specific plane you fly regularly, try out the "moonshine" on that. See how it acts. I doubt you see a change. I also found that my engines are more tempermental with glow plugs than fuel.

There was a guy here a couple years ago from Saudi Arabis who was a chemical engineer and gave me a recipe once and it was fine. I lost it but I remember it being okay. Can't remember his name though.
Old 10-15-2004, 06:44 AM
IFlySlowPlanes

I have zero interest in becoming a fuel refinery on any scale. Something tells me the homeowners association where I live would have some problems with me mixing volatile chemicals in my bathtub! Thanks, but I'll stick with the local brew @ $10/gal unless I notice a drastic change in performance with my engines that will use it.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:19 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Power Master 10%. I've used other fuels, but found this to perform better.

I shop price to some degree, but if the "local" brand and PowerMaster are essentially the same price, I'll always go with the "Brand".

By the way, the going rate around here is $15.50 to $20 per gallon. Had a shop that was selling Power Master for $11.00, in case quantities, but he stopped.
Dennis-
Old 10-16-2004, 08:07 AM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

I have mixed my own fuel for years so I know what is in it and to suit the many different engines I have. As far as volatile chemicals are concerned, gasoline is more volatile than methanol.
Old 10-16-2004, 12:24 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've always been amazed by the bias some have for different fuels. As long as the ratio of methanol, nitro, and oil is the same, there is technically no reason for one to perform better than any other. This has been born out with my experience. I've tried many brands and, as long as the mix was the same, could detect no difference in the performance in any one engine. It is surprising how effective advertising can be in swaying ones judgement.
Old 10-16-2004, 01:33 PM
mvigod
Banned

Go to the WRAM show in New York or at Toledo. The fuel co's usually sell there out of the back of their trucks very cheap compared to LHS prices. Reason is they don't have the huge shipping charges which the LHS must build into their cost. At these shows you can get 15% around 10 bux give or take sometimes.
Old 10-16-2004, 05:30 PM
DaveB

Our club uses the S&W fuel. We're happy with the performance, price, and availability. IMO you won't find anything better, after all, nitro methane is nitro methane.

DaveB
Old 10-16-2004, 09:30 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have run Sig Champion 10% nitro, 20% oil 50/50 castor/synthetic for some years in a variety of mostly older engines, but also some modern engines. That is less oil than most run in iron piston engines but I have not noticed any problems. I have once each tried a couple of other brands said to have the same composition. I had to make major needle changes, which I do not like to do, and did not get performance to suit me. My friends run these same brands of fuel and are satisfied. So I am sticking with what works for me.

Jim