Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Cost of flt packs vs. complete radio: Which is cheaper?!

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Cost of flt packs vs. complete radio: Which is cheaper?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 02:43 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cost of flt packs vs. complete radio: Which is cheaper?!

I think It's been mentioned before, but I can't remember the responces..

I still don’t get it..

I ordered a radio years ago when I started to fly. The Futaba 6XA
I have since bought another radio, a 4 channel, for use as a ‘flight pack’ in my second plane. At the time, ordering a new radio made sense: an extra Tx battery, and extra charger, and a spare Tx to be used as either a buddy box, or as a ‘flight box’ for one of the many sims out there.

And recently I have bought yet another kit, and decided to buy a fight pack as well.

Having three planes at the field is better than two right?! (All agree with a collective ‘Yes’!! )

And I can save an additional $10 off the flight pack (or radio) if bought with a kit or ARF. So I did..

Now, here’s what gets me..
The cost of a Skysport 4 channel : $189.99 (Canadian dollars..)
The cost of a Fut flight pack : $169.99 (no crystal)
And the crystal : $18.99

How can a flight pack and crystal cost the same as a full ‘4 channel radio package’. Yet you get more with a complete radio.. Like the whole Tx, with electronics, sticks & gimbals, FCC regulated radio transmition parts, etc....

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I hear you all; ‘Spare parts always cost more than the whole thing, it’s how companies make money’ schpeal. But I don’t buy it..
Old 10-18-2004, 04:10 PM
BillyGoat

Default RE: Cost of flt packs vs. complete radio: Which is cheaper?!

I’ve never understood that either. I checked the Tower catalog just to see USD prices and make sure servos, battery mAh compared… and they do.

Price difference between skysport and flight pack with crystal $7.01

[sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 10-18-2004, 04:55 PM
Joe Ortiz
My Feedback: (75)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it depend on the TX, the one with computer memory will hoild 6 to 10 aircraft with all the trim setup in memory, just remember to change model numbers and your ready to fly, I don't like standard radios anymore, you have to constantly adjust the trim if you bump it. Why take 3 radios to the field when you can have only one. Flight pack prices will depend on the servos and RX selected, digitals will cost more than standard servos.
Joe
Old 10-18-2004, 06:35 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

His point was, if you buy a standard flight pack, say a Futaba 127 Rx and 4 3003 servos, and Rx battery pack, the cost will be about the same as buying a Futaba 4 channel radio set, which includes the same Rx, same 4 servos, plus the Tx, two battery packs, charger, aileron extension, switch harness and other assorted misc bits.
Dennis-
Old 10-18-2004, 06:57 PM
Joe Ortiz

I guess DR Wogz has a valid point, never really sat down an though about it, price wise, I guess you'll come out ahead for sure, but for convienience, a good computer radio will reduce the hassle of multiple TX's.
Joe[8D]
Old 10-18-2004, 06:58 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Depends on if you need another Tx. If you get a good computer radio, with multiple memory, why get another Tx? Unless you just want something on a different freq, in case you get to the field and somebody is hogging your preferred channel. Also, if I'm getting a flight pack and still need a 5th servo (for dual ailerons,etc) I always get the helicopter pack. Comes with 5 servos and higher capacity battery. (I use Futaba stuff; the airplane pack has 4 3004 BB servos, the copter pack has 5 3001 precision BB servos, and I'm talking about the 147DF Rx)
Old 10-18-2004, 07:19 PM
Joe Ortiz

I always get the helicopter pack.
I wish I would thought of that[:@].
Joe
Old 10-18-2004, 07:24 PM
Nuker

I ended up getting Hitec flight packs. In Cdn $$ it is $104.99 + $11.45 for the crystal (w/flight pack), + GST (7%) and shipping is free. Delivered to my door is $125 Cdn. Has 4 x 425 BB servos, battery, 7 channel receiver, switch and battery. Though my equip is Futaba, I've had great service from Hitec and no equip problems. Looks to be a major price difference as well.

These prices are Cdn and are at HobbyWholesale in Alberta. (that's why no pst (yet another Cdn tax) ) Anyway, it's an alternative

Bob
Old 10-18-2004, 09:37 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Just ran some numbers and you actually come out a good bit ahead if you buy the entire setup with the Futaba. Between the entire radio setup and just the flight pack and cristal it only adds up to 7 dollars difference. But if you factor in an extra charger, rx and tx battery its a lot better of a deal. Not to mention you now have a buddy box.

If you buy on the same frequency you just use the same as your computer radio.

They must be making a killing on flight packs.
Old 10-18-2004, 09:58 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You get a free replacement battery for your tx. That alone is worth it.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:08 AM
SDR-Hammer

It's all marketing... Futaba is attempting to start as many people on Futaba equipment as possible by selling entry-level systems, such as the Skysport, on a very narrow margin. Knowing that a modeler (if he/she sticks with the sport) WILL upgrade and very likely will stay with the brand they already own due to compatibility.

By making nothing from a modeler in the beginning profits come later from not only the 7C or the 9C systems but servos, switches, extensions, etc. Brand loyalty! Or brand handcuffing, because the other major brand compatible with Futaba is Hitec and that’s not 100% because slight nuances of the connectors.

In this case the cost of a complete Skysport system vs. the flight pack. The flight pack has the standard Futaba markup where the Skysport has Zero.

That's my theroy and I'm sticking to it.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:30 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That's why I never have, and never will buy a flight pack
Old 10-19-2004, 08:35 AM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

As mentioned, I already have my 6 ch computer radio. I'm just tring to get a third plane in the air (without gutting one plane for another..)

But exactly the point.. You can buy a flight pack + crystal for your third (fourth, second, etc..) plane

or

You can buy a complete 4 channel radio, which includes teh parts in teh flight pack, and includes teh crystal. (and as mentioned) you also get a spare Tx, and a few other goodies: some hardware, an extra Tx battery, the parts in the Tx, neck strap & channel marker (Ohh, that's worth it alone!! ), etc..

The Skysport is a better deal, so why not make the flight pack a resonable price. And some pilot I know, do what I'm doing. They jsut toss the Tx. (They have a few 'in stock'..) of give it into the club as the 'club buddy box'

It's like computer printers now. A bubble jet colour printer up here can retail for as little as $75. The replacement ink is about $50 (brand name). It's getting to the point, where printers can be 'disposeable'!!
Old 10-19-2004, 08:56 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I thought the flight packs were a better deal until they started selling the crystals and batteries seperate, better to buy the entire radio set for $15 more.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:32 AM
Deadeye

ORIGINAL: dr_wogz

As mentioned, I already have my 6 ch computer radio. I'm just tring to get a third plane in the air (without gutting one plane for another..)

But exactly the point.. You can buy a flight pack + crystal for your third (fourth, second, etc..) plane

or

You can buy a complete 4 channel radio, which includes teh parts in teh flight pack, and includes teh crystal. (and as mentioned) you also get a spare Tx, and a few other goodies: some hardware, an extra Tx battery, the parts in the Tx, neck strap & channel marker (Ohh, that's worth it alone!! ), etc..

The Skysport is a better deal, so why not make the flight pack a resonable price. And some pilot I know, do what I'm doing. They jsut toss the Tx. (They have a few 'in stock'..) of give it into the club as the 'club buddy box'

It's like computer printers now. A bubble jet colour printer up here can retail for as little as $75. The replacement ink is about $50 (brand name). It's getting to the point, where printers can be 'disposeable'!!
True, but the cartridges that come with new printers are only 1/3 - 1/2 full of ink. They make their moey on cartridges, not printers. That's why I refill my own. I only wish that I could buy 'servo' refill kits that cheap. []
Old 10-19-2004, 04:45 PM
Cactus.

umm we don't have flight packs but i might have to tot it up...

servos, rx, crystals, switch...
and you get to sell the tranny and batt.... it should work out much better....
Old 10-19-2004, 07:06 PM
jstrawn

Like PhillyBaby says, by the whole radio setup and sell the parts you don't want on eBay. Or buy the flight pack on eBay. Watching carefully you can get brand new receivers for pretty reasonable prices. Just watch you don't nickle and dime yourself on the shipping charges.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:02 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

I order the Hitec custom flight packs from Servo City. I have no use for another 4 channel transmitter and I want better servos than the standards that are found with the stock 4 channel radios. With the custom packs I can also order a larger battery and still save some money over buying individual components. Just my 2 cents.

http://www.servocity.com/html/flight_packs.html

John
Old 10-21-2004, 12:19 PM
Flyfalcons

Even if you don't need another standard radio there are always new guys at the field who need a buddy box, or maybe the club buddy boxes need to be replaced occasionally.
Old 10-21-2004, 02:44 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Case in point. Tower has the basic Futaba 4YF for $129. Right now they offer it with a $20 tower gift certificate and anotehr $20 manufacturer gift certificate. You also get another $10 discount for it being over $100. $129-$20-$20-$10=$89. If you buy $20 more of merchandise (easy to do) you then qualify for the $15 tower discount and free shipping.

For that price I am thinking of ordering a couple just for the flight pack.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:34 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Flyfalcons,
Even if you don't need another standard radio there are always new guys at the field who need a buddy box, or maybe the club buddy boxes need to be replaced occasionally.
My point is that I don't want the standard servos so buying a complete radio make absolutely no sense to me. I also cannot see why anyone is happy with a straight four channel radio with no mixing capabilities or ATV throws. Maybe I'm spoiled but just setting up the servos are so much easier on a computer radio that I have absolutely no desire to have a straight 4 channel box!

John
Old 10-22-2004, 10:01 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm with John on this one. The flight pack is OK for a .40 size sport plane. Anything else and you should be getting better servos and a bigger RX battery anyway.

David
Old 10-22-2004, 01:46 PM
Cactus.

whats the problem???

if the standard flight pack isn't a better deal than a whole new standard system and all you want is standard gear then get the system. sell on the unwanted bits, whatever you wanna do...

if you want better flight packs and don't want a standard system then get those...

i don't see why you guys are moaning on this one?
better flight packs are cheaper than separate better items.. ok.. thats not what been discussed.