Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

OK - Here's a good one!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 12:20 PM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OK - Here's a good one!!!

Anyone ever seen anything like this? Yesterday, one of our club members brought out his Kaos with a new engine. It is an ASP 40 size, not sure exactly, but boy did he have problems. He spent over an hour trying to get it to run and could never get it to run without the electric starter turning it over. This was a brand new engine and when turning it over you could see fuel spitting out of the venturi. He adjusted both the low end idle and the high end over and over and it would just not run. He finally got it running, but every time we would give it throttle it would die. Now this guy is not a beginner and he had even the senior members scratching their heads.

Well he decided to take it back to where he bought it and get a refund or another engine. He took the plane to the assembly benches that we have at the field and began to disassemble the engine to clean off the parts. He took off the muffler and took it apart and low and behold, the muffler casting was still in place where the exhaust exited the engine. No wonder it would not run! Luckily someone had a sharp screw driver and a file. Once he removed the aluminum and opened it up, the engine ran lik a top. Of course he spent another 20 minutes getting the idle and the top end re-tuned. Guess someone put the muffler together after a break and forgot to drill out the hole. He was really starting to question if he new what he was doing. We all got a pretty good laugh out of it and agreed that we would check our mufflers on new engines from now on...lol.
Old 10-25-2004, 01:37 PM
aaron2874

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OK - Here's a good one!!!

Yeah, that Murphy is a real son-of-a-!!!!!
Old 10-25-2004, 03:51 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Man, that sux. What are the odds of not seeing that when you are playing with the new engine. Must be pretty good. Not the norm to look for.
Old 10-25-2004, 06:20 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now that's one for the books. I think I'd still be trying to start it! It never would have occcured to me to see if the muffer was open!

John
Old 10-25-2004, 06:45 PM
Joe Ortiz
My Feedback: (75)

Good story, but I always take my baffles out of the muffler, it's a high altitude thing[>:]
Joe[8D]
Old 10-25-2004, 06:55 PM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

[:@] that has to be frustrating
Old 10-25-2004, 08:24 PM
BasinBum

Of course you check that, how else do you make sure the muffler bearing is working?
Old 10-25-2004, 09:02 PM
CaptainGlo

Here's a funny one from Malaysia.

This flyer comes back to the field after a month's vacation and starts his engine with an electric starter.
It started all right, but every time he increased throttle the engine died.
Spent 2 hours in the hot morning sun fiddling....tuning low & high end needle....changing glo plug, etc
He did everything any of us would have done.

A fellow flyer who went over to help him later noticed that he could feel the wash from the prop from the
FRONT of the prop, not behind!

The starter was plugged to the battery in reverse (+ve to -ve)

In 2 hours, many of us would have flown our share for the morning and gone home!
Old 10-26-2004, 08:56 AM
hookedonrc

....and I suppose you use a little bit of prop wash to clean any dirty bearings you find
Old 10-26-2004, 12:55 PM
NitroWoman

If you use "Chrome Muffler Bearings" you won't have that problem.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:50 PM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

muffler?? what's that?...oh, you mean that lump of metal you toss into the trash when you buy a new engine.

dave
Old 10-26-2004, 06:54 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

We had a senior pilot who uses foam earplugs in the muffler to prevent leakage while being stored. I guess one of got a bit to far up and he forgot it was their. We spent a half hour trying to start this thing. Eventually the hydraulic lock showed up and when the fuel didn't run out the muffler, thatst when it clicked that the plug was up in their.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:00 PM
ZAGNUT

ORIGINAL: Iroquois Boy

the plug was up in their.
please don't post stuff like that on this family-friendly site

dave
Old 10-26-2004, 08:34 PM
SteveW
My Feedback: (36)

I've got a Craftsman 9/16" x 1/2" drive socket that has a round hole where the square drive should be. I guess that one slipped through QC.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:11 PM
rcjetflyer0718

Back in 1990 my local club (RC Country) put on pylon races with everyone flying a Bridi Aircruiser and a KB20 sportster. I finished the plane on Thursday and went to test fly it on Friday, the day before the race. I tried for 2 hours to get the engine to run; the only way it would run was with the pressure line disconnected. Finally I decided to take the engine apart, I found the piston and cylinder scored and the biggie....... The end of the muffler was completely sealed with flashing. The following week I took the engine down to K&B (it was about 5 miles from where I worked.) and the guy there took 45 minutes to replace the piston, muffler, and case. Considering I only spent $30 buying the engine they really lost on this one. Never won any of the races with the engine, best were a couple of 3rds and 4ths. I still have the engine in a 15 size ME109 and it runs better than when it was new.
Old 10-27-2004, 01:51 AM
BasinBum

rcjetflyer0718,
We still run those races at Whittier and the Basin. Bridi Aircruiser and a K&B 20 along with a few other classes about five times a year.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:54 PM
rcjetflyer0718

Yea, but both of my Aircruisers are long gone; 1 a victim of a mid air and the other I gave to a friend because he didn't have a plane to fly. Where can I pick up an Aircruiser kit?
Old 10-27-2004, 11:16 PM
BasinBum

The Aircruiser is out of production and the class will eventually be phased out. There are a few kits floating around or you could get ahold of the plans. We also race .40 sized trainers, House of Balsa T-6 and Quickie 500 with a .25 engine on a short course. Check the http://www.sgvrcl.org/ club website for rules and schedual.
Old 10-28-2004, 07:48 AM
Low Wing

Something like that happened to me with a new Irvine 53...couldn't get it to start all that crap 2 hours later I take the head off and low and behold I had put the sleeve in the block wrong (can't remember why I removed it) so anyway' the motor wasn't getting enough air...after that it ran like the freaking wind until one day I pealed the dago red it was on like a banana through a tree on the east side of our field after looking down for just a sec to trim (find the trim) throttle I looked back up and my baby was gone...I saw it for a flash just before it came through the tree...my only crash in four years of flying...and yes I fly more than just circle's...I guess I'm just better than most of you guys...just kidding