Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

RCers who are ham (Amateur) radio operators?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

RCers who are ham (Amateur) radio operators?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 02:32 PM
djstar39
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RCers who are ham (Amateur) radio operators?

Have a General as well and also don't have a picture. Running a Yaesu FT-857 and OCD antenna. Also got involved as a teenager in Civil Air Patrol but it was the mid-70's.

Dave
KC9RAK
Old 04-14-2011, 04:44 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update!

After getting back into ham radio with the "modern" SSB rig, I became more interested in vintage amateur radio equipment, starting with a 1962 model Heathkit Apache transmitter, a 1963 Heathkit Mohawk Receiver and a Hallicrafters SX-111 receiver.

Then I added a Heath HX-10 Marauder SSB transmitter and recently became the owner of a 1961 Collins KWM2-A SSB transceiver.

Add to that a Lafayette KT-390 AM-CW transmitter and you can catch me on 3705 or 3885 AM, 7160 SSB, 7290 AM or 20 meters just about every evening.

And "Yes", I still have time to flt my models!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72680.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	1593778  
Old 04-15-2011, 08:30 AM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been an electronics technician all my life; made a good living out of it too but never was interested in being a ham. Sort of felt like, "Leave the job at the job." I got my Tech license last February in order to be legal for FPV. Well, studying for the test got me interested in being a ham; sort of a new challenge at the age of 73. So I joined the local ham club and have been studying for the General exam in order to upgrade. I'm passing all the practice tests handily. I'll be taking the General exam on May 8th and am confident that I'll be upgrading then. Never thought I'd find a new hobby just through an interest in FPV! Not on the air yet. Figured I'd wait until I got my general license, then see what bands I wanted to operate on.

Several of my fellow RC club members got their Tech licenses years ago so as to fly on 6 meters. Trouble was that they were getting hit on Sundays while I wasn't on my 72-band rigs; so I figured "Why bother?" Everybody is flying on 2.4 now so it's kind of moot.

Charley
KF5JTH