Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Young RC Pilot's role call!

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Young RC Pilot's role call!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 06:31 PM
Mudsurfer1234

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Young RC Pilot's role call!

i flew at my school for a speech for english class, we had to demonstrate how to do something, so i took in my foamy and flew it for about 15 minutes. was funny seeing the girls get scared when i was torque rolling over their heads, lol. Got a perfect on the speech, one of 2 people in our class.

and i made a new video from realfight, http://www.scott.rchomepage.com/Extra2.wmv

PLEASE RIGHT CLICK AND SAVE

enjoy!

and my Katana Profile from OMP came today, will update with build and post pics

Let's keep the thread going!
Scott
Old 11-03-2004, 06:47 PM
Live Wire

It is great to see the future leaders of our country! If some of the so called "mannuer "adaults could solve there problems like this groupe has done we will have a bright future.
We need more young people like this in the HOBBY
Old 11-03-2004, 07:44 PM
powerlines

You guys go. That is all I can say. I started when I was 17 and all I was willing to fly was a DURABRICK!! I had a SuperChipmunk with a OS 56 4 stroke I think. I would taxi it around thats it. I did not have anyone to show me the way and now we have the internet and guys like ya'll that will figure out how to do these moves and then show us older guys. Just remember to give out your secrets....... I am now 31 and just getting back in. I have a foamy and a 4*60, Decathlon, and my trainer waiting for my 5 year old son to get ready. He will show ya'll the new tricks!! LOL.. I did have my fav!! Pacific aero edge 540 with a ys.63 I lost my lift on a dumb banking landing thing and had to put it in the pasture. I will get lots better before I get another aerobat.. nice one anyway!

Good luck and GOD bless all of you!!!
Old 11-03-2004, 08:59 PM
jvanoy3
My Feedback: (4)

Alsome, keep them coming!
Old 11-03-2004, 09:55 PM
Mudsurfer1234

here are some pics of my new katana, didn't do much work, just epoxy wing into fuse big enough rudder?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36935.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	189669   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66458.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	189670   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62029.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	189671   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl25515.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	189672  
Old 11-04-2004, 01:15 PM
Shahid

Call that a rudder? Pah I got a bigger one
Old 11-04-2004, 07:13 PM
jvanoy3

That is a really good size rudder for a 46 size plane!
Old 11-07-2004, 12:40 PM
freddubois80
My Feedback: (1)

Im 24 and I started flying when I was 11. Since 1991 i never stop this great hobby!
Why??? Because my plane look sound since this last 11 years, just 4 real crash and one midair.......[>:]

Have a good time.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:49 PM
jvanoy3

Hey everyone keep them coming! I am getting ready to buy a wild hare any body no anything about these planes?
Old 11-08-2004, 12:55 AM
Ptarmigan

I am 23 and started RC flying when I was 21, the legal age for alcohol in the States. I work for AFLAC, you know the duck. AFLAC! AFLAC! AFLAC!
Old 11-08-2004, 11:02 AM
TheParrot

Hey I'm Kevin and I'm 17. I've been flying since I was 12 and learned on a Kadet Senior. I currently have a Somethin Extra with an OS 46 FX, a .40 size Great Planes Cub with an OS 91 Four stroke (used to tow my dad's gliders ) both from kits. Currently repairing a profile designed by a guy in the club. Was trying to hover too low and snapped the fuse! Used to have a .15 sized scratch built Fokker D7 with a OS 26 Four stroke (down is up when flying inverted!)
Old 11-08-2004, 11:41 AM
jvanoy3

I love those somthin extra's. My team partner had to try one out for an older guy at the club yesterday and it was a ball he said. He was hanging it and knife edging and doing four points!
Old 11-08-2004, 12:28 PM
TheParrot

Yah I think I'm going to build a bigger rudder for mine. She won't knife edge [] but other than that shes perfect
Old 11-09-2004, 09:30 PM
Julien Hp

HI guys !

My name is Julien Hardy Pare I'm 14 years old and i've been flying for 2 years now. I'm from Canada.. I fly a somethin extra and a carl goldberg ultimate ( hangar 9 sheme ). For next year i'm planning to buy this beauty edge 540t from Wild Hare. I have a paper route so i buy my stuff myself"

ps i agree whit you when you say the somethin extras are very nice plane but not enought rudder.. This winter i'll try to "upgrade" the rudder to have more fun
Old 11-10-2004, 04:26 PM
jvanoy3

Wild Hare is the only way to go!
Old 11-10-2004, 09:08 PM
Julien Hp

Yeap !

I love the Edge....at this time it'sm y favortit aiplanes.. I just had my CG ultimate too 3 month ago and i love the plane too... I'm so anxious of having the edge in my hand :P..I'll put a DA 50r for the power and 5645 hitec servos i think...and a giant scale servo for the rudder...
Hope it's gonna be a good combo

julien
Old 11-10-2004, 10:31 PM
Mopzilla

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys, I'm 18 years old and I've been flying r/c aircraft on and off for about 5 years. On and off because my first love is playing drums, which I've been doing for about 7 years, but I like to build stuff and engineer stuff so that's why I'm in this technical world of r/c. First aircraft was a chopper.. But you know, when I realized how much crashes really cost... and how much my work produced.. I sold it all. Now I'm into tiny nitro planes, using a Norvel .074 on my next project. My first plane was a Stealth Sport that I overpowered with an .074 and it crashed maybe 3-4 times, breaking small stuff like a leading edge or vertical fin, including full throttle into a tree, before it was totalled going full thottle into the ground. I have to pay for everything so I do care a lot about crash protection and the sort, which is why I'm into 1/2A. Kits cost less than $50, engines cost less than $50, radios cost the same, and fuel use is a minimum (a 2 oz tank lasts about 15-20 minutes for a normal flight with my .074). I don't buy performance parts, servos, computer radio. I have a simple 4-channel for this stuff. Since 1/2A is so cheap, my expenses aren't too much so I'm saving for a car and driving insurance. If the airplane crashes and is never found, well so what, buy another $50 arf, another flight pack and engine off of ebay, spend less than $200 overall and you're up and flying a top notch machine again!
Old 11-11-2004, 08:43 PM
jvanoy3

sound all good to me every one! lets keep them coming
Old 12-15-2004, 06:34 PM
love those warbirds
My Feedback: (39)

14 1/2 for me I've been flying for two years now and I'm going to be trying glow in the spring. Good luck in your flying career
Old 12-16-2004, 04:52 PM
bgruenba

ORIGINAL: cougar347
David, I'm 58, and both my wife and I worked very hard all our lives. All that they're building around us right now are $400,000 homes, and for the life of me, I can't figure out how these 35 year old "kids" can afford them. My wife and I keep wondering what did we do wrong? I don't know. All I know is that every time I turn on the TV, I'm hearing about kids shooting other kids, kids stealing cars and attacking people, kids on drugs, and just generally kids that I want no parts of. If these young men in this thread have this kind of R/C equipment, more power to them. If they're out there tearing up the sky every day, God bless 'em. Maybe they saved up their recess and Christmas money, maybe they work odd jobs in their spare time, maybe they have parents that live in those $400K homes and give them everything, maybe they have parents and grandparents that have given up many things so that their kids could have some very expensive R/C equipment. It doesn't matter to me, I'm embracing them. They're the ones who are going to perpetuate our hobby for us. I want them out there flying, not figuring out how to break into my house and steal things that I worked my entire life for so that they can support a drug habit. You didn't do anything wrong and neither did I. I raised two sons and put both of them through college. I'm still paying off college loans that we had to take out. I could have bought a lot of planes for what those educations cost, but I wouldn't trade my boys' educations for anything. After all, they've got to keep working and paying their social security taxes so that my wife and I can live a happy retirement life.
Vince,

I'm one of those 35 year olds (okay, I lie... a year or two older than that) and was fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time in the software industry. I don't have any talents that are any better than yours, and I probably don't have the same level of education that you do, but give me a computer and I can make it do anything. At the time that I was looking for a career, my hobby became my career and I was lucky enough to make very good money doing it. That doesn't mean you went wrong. Society just places value on all the wrong things! Why do nurses and teachers earn less than professional sportsmen?

I have a 13 year old son and daughter and my biggest fear in life is that I will lose the two of them to alcohol, drugs, or some other vice that society makes all to easy for them to be involved in. As a result, I will do anything I can to do things that mean spending time with them.

As a result, my son has 3 planes (Avistar, Ultra Stick and oops... can't talk about that... it's his xmas present) and a JR 8103 radio. A lot of that has been paid for directly by me. A lot of it has been stuff he has earned his own money for. Some of that earning has come from incentives that have made him an honor roll student. He and I fly together every opportunity we get. We're excellent friends and he'd rather spend time with me flying RC than hanging out with his school friends. Now that does not mean that he is wildly antisocial, but he and I have a great relationship.

I know that as he goes through his teens we are likely to clash and grow apart, but I'm hoping that the time that we spend doing stuff like flying planes is going to have the long-term effect of keeping him grounded. So, to me, investing the kind of money that he and I have into this hobby is money well spent if it makes him a successful human being.

Our club has a whole lot of really great kids. One of the kids in our club is 8 years old solo'd this past summer. He's a terrific kid with a great attitude, an excellent young pilot and he and his dad are an example to the rest of the community. I think a lot of the kids that are in this hobby are in it because of their fathers and I take my hat off to every father that has done this with his son! It's probably one of the best ways of keeping the lines of communication open with them and that is what you need more than anything else as they get older.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:55 PM
red91sit
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: bgruenba
Vince,

I'm one of those 35 year olds (okay, I lie... a year or two older than that) and was fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time in the software industry. I don't have any talents that are any better than yours, and I probably don't have the same level of education that you do, but give me a computer and I can make it do anything. At the time that I was looking for a career, my hobby became my career and I was lucky enough to make very good money doing it. That doesn't mean you went wrong. Society just places value on all the wrong things! Why do nurses and teachers earn less than professional sportsmen?

I have a 13 year old son and daughter and my biggest fear in life is that I will lose the two of them to alcohol, drugs, or some other vice that society makes all to easy for them to be involved in. As a result, I will do anything I can to do things that mean spending time with them.

As a result, my son has 3 planes (Avistar, Ultra Stick and oops... can't talk about that... it's his xmas present) and a JR 8103 radio. A lot of that has been paid for directly by me. A lot of it has been stuff he has earned his own money for. Some of that earning has come from incentives that have made him an honor roll student. He and I fly together every opportunity we get. We're excellent friends and he'd rather spend time with me flying RC than hanging out with his school friends. Now that does not mean that he is wildly antisocial, but he and I have a great relationship.

I know that as he goes through his teens we are likely to clash and grow apart, but I'm hoping that the time that we spend doing stuff like flying planes is going to have the long-term effect of keeping him grounded. So, to me, investing the kind of money that he and I have into this hobby is money well spent if it makes him a successful human being.

Our club has a whole lot of really great kids. One of the kids in our club is 8 years old solo'd this past summer. He's a terrific kid with a great attitude, an excellent young pilot and he and his dad are an example to the rest of the community. I think a lot of the kids that are in this hobby are in it because of their fathers and I take my hat off to every father that has done this with his son! It's probably one of the best ways of keeping the lines of communication open with them and that is what you need more than anything else as they get older.
You sound a lot like my father, we also fly together a lot, however, in our case i started my father into flying, he's gone through a few airplanes, but with a little helpful tips from me he's becoming a very good pilot. bTW I woudlnt' worry about the teenage years, me and my father still get along and i'm almost 17.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:15 PM
aerobatixkid

Hi my name is Shane, I am 15 and I've been flying for around 6 months.

My hanger includes;

Great Planes extra 300 .40 I built from a kit.. lots of mods to make it more 3d capable.
Avistar with an .40LA... Winter flying plane.. It's got skis.
Falcon 56 thats stripped..
DC Ultimate Kaos with rossi .60 tune pipe
Sig Skybolt .91 Surpass
scratch built 1/3 Citabria and Quadro 35CC gas

I have 3 radio systems, airtronics 4ch, Futaba 6EXA, Futaba 7CAP.

On the building board is an Somthing Extra thats ready to be covered and have an .50 SX mounted in it with an Futaba 9C
Old 12-21-2004, 02:29 PM
Ryan Nau
My Feedback: (54)

Hey, Im 19, Been flying since I was 5 yo. I fly at 3 different flying clubs, one is an all control line club. My main interests right now are control line aerobatic competition, giant scale airplanes, and 3d flying. I actually like flying control line more then RC. I fly in the advanced skill level right now. I used to fly NCFFA funfly competition, but don't anymore. In the summer I usually fly just about everyday. I find time. I like building too. Building a 35% Giles now, and 2 Brodak Cl Planes. And after the Giles is done I'm hoping to start a 1/3scale Balsa USA Cub around May.
Here are a some pictures of some of the airplanes.
pic 1: part of the CL fleet
pic 2: Dave Patrick Extra 330L with DA 50, and DP Ultimate with YS 140DZ
pic 3: Menace 3D with Webra 35 with pipe (NCFFA type plane, except made it into a 3D plane)
Pic 4: Aeroworks 40% Edge 540 with DA 150

Ryan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62784.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	205332   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83812.jpg
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	205333   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17376.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	205334   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au56446.jpg
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	205335  
Old 12-21-2004, 09:00 PM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

Hi! My name is Jim Messer, and I have a message to all the kids taking part in this thread.

I started building rubber band models in 1937 at age seven. I am still extremely active, designing, building, and flying R/C planes of all descriptions after 63 consecutive years, and enjoying every minute of it. I thoroughly enjoyed reading all of the threads written by you younger pilots, and I hope each one of you reap as much from this hobby as I have. Back in 1939, my teacher, in a one room grade school, let me build ten cent stick models while she taught the other two classes. Beginning in 1941, as a teen-ager, I competed in many gas powered free-flight meets, and modeling became part of me. After high school, I attended college and obtained an engineering degree, then got married. My wife knows a good thing when she sees it, and building and flying model airplanes is a good thing. We raised nine children, and saw eight of them through four years of college. Two of the three boys became modelers, and are now full scale pilots. My oldest son won first place at the NATS in 1/2 A free-flight at age ten. He won first place the following year at the Canadian NATS, and he is now in the process of finishing up a full scale VANS RV-6A.

I am proud of my kids. We have never had a problem with any of them - no drugs, no smoking, no drinking, and the list goes on. A lot of that had to do with them being exposed to building and flying model planes when they were growing up, just as I was when I was growing up Even the girls grew up at the flying field with their Dad and their brothers, where good habits were always practiced. In 1941 I was the youngest member of the STARS, and in 2004 I am the oldest member of the STARS. Think about that; being a member of the same model club for 63 consecutive years. I have been retired from my job now for almost 19 years, which means that I retired before some of you were even born.

So to every one of you "kids" that make up this thread - I wish you all the good fortune that has been bestowed upon me and my family as a result of being involved in the model airplane hobby. Let my experiences be a lesson to all of you. Just hang in there and enjoy.
Then, sixty years from now you can repeat this message to the new kids on the block.

Cheers, and Merry Christmas to each of you. (If it isn't apparent, I love kids!)
Old 12-21-2004, 09:51 PM
Mhale71

im 14 and i fly helis... yer...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.