Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Smoking In RC Fields

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2002, 03:41 PM
Ptarmigan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoking In RC Fields

Sometimes when I am at a RC field, I see people there smoking, even when working with a RC airplane or helicopter, with fuel nearby. Have you ever seen RC'ers smoke?
Old 08-14-2002, 03:48 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Saturday mornings I do 2 things, fly RC and smoke cigars. Of course there are no gas planes allowed at our field, only glow.
Old 08-14-2002, 03:49 PM
RSands

Yep, all the time. As long as they don't throw their butts on the ground, it's not an issue with me. Glow Fuel is relatively hard to ignite compaired to gas, and it's also typically pretty well contained.
Old 08-14-2002, 05:07 PM
Robby
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ut ohh.. I am one of those ill forsaken types who DO smoke both while in the pits and while having a plane in the air..
There are people smokeing who do glow, and there are people smoking who do gas... I have never seem a problem arise from smoking at airfield..
The thing that gets me the most is seeing people drinking, and yes some to excess and a lot of the flying areas are forest preserves where ANY alcohol is not allowed to begin with...

rc_sport -- Where in the heck are you in the Chicago area that gas is not allowed, and why not..

Robby
Old 08-14-2002, 05:15 PM
rusgmil
My Feedback: (1)

RC-sport
Just out out curiosity, why aren't gas planes allowed at your field? Never heard of that rule before.
Old 08-14-2002, 05:33 PM
cwat212

No smoking at our field - not because of the plane fuels but because of the methane from the landfill........
Old 08-14-2002, 05:46 PM
sdt22

cwat, you must fly out at the trac field. I'm not sure why your club has a no smoking policy. The srcc club in Tallahassee was a landfill and I could smoke all over it. I have heard that they changed the smoking rule to allow smoking at the fence behind the flight line.
Old 08-14-2002, 06:07 PM
cwat212

Trac field it is. I am not sure if they changed the rules or not. I believe this was a county rule. I always thought is was a little overill anyhow.
Old 08-14-2002, 07:25 PM
rc-sport

We don't allow gas engines at our field because of noise restrictions. We were almost closed down because of some jerk attorney who lives near by because he didn't like all the noise. We had to make some compromises to stay open and no gas engines were one of many. We are located in west Lake Forest.
Old 08-14-2002, 09:18 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

At our field you can only smoke on the road and not in the pits, field or spectator area. We are on a land fill and it is part of our by-laws.
Old 08-14-2002, 09:49 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Originally posted by rc_sport
Saturday mornings I do 2 things, fly RC and smoke cigars.
Heh. I smoke cigars when I go slope flying.

They do burn faster in a Strong Breeze, tho.
Old 08-14-2002, 10:33 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not a smoker but my best flying buddy is and a lot of guys at our club smoke. I fly a lot of bigger gas planes, and I dont mind them smoking anywhere else, as long as they stay away from me when I am refueling! Sometimes the fellows start talking to me as I am working on my plane, then get closer and closer and before you know it they are 3 or 4 feet away - I have to remind them a lot to keep their distance!!

AJC
Old 08-14-2002, 10:54 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Well....hmmm... I'm a smoker, and yes I smoke in the pitts, NEVER when fueling though, and never within 25 feet of anyone who is fueling. I don't ever smoke on the flight-line though, I don't want to offend anyone that it might bother, at that too, I generally stay in my own area when lighting up. Now...if someone comes over to my table, and I've got a stogie goin...it's thier prob.

As for drinking....never, never, never while flying, or even while there are kids around. We sometimes stay out til dark, and break out a few brewskies after flying on a Sunday night, but AFTER flying only, and when only the adults are present. If we want to continue the party from there, we go to the pub. hehe.
Old 08-15-2002, 04:21 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I smoked at our field and even though there were only a couple of us, no one ever objected. Not while flying but anywhere else.

My heart attack and four days in intensive care cured me of smoking. You guys might want to try it, but it's tough!
Old 08-15-2002, 10:52 AM
TerrellFlyer

Our field is no smoking ,except in smoking area,most of us feel that second hand smoke is harmfull to one's health,also no alcohol.
Have a goodun,John
Old 08-15-2002, 11:19 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I visited a field where a few beers was considered OK for the pilots. I packed my stuff up, (I had put in two flights before I noticed it) and became a spectator. No accidents happened but I think it is a bad practice.
Old 08-15-2002, 11:26 AM
rc-sport

Smoking is OK at our field as long as you don't burn a whole in someones plane as you carry it to the flight line for them. Duhooo
Old 08-15-2002, 01:52 PM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Smoking at the field??? Hell, I smoke in the SHOWER!

We have no rules about smoking, but I try to use a little common sense, I wouldn't smoke while fueling my gasser, but that's about the only time. And as far as you "Second-hand-smoke" nazis go, I only hope that I can take a few of you with me!
Old 08-15-2002, 02:12 PM
lnorris

hehe, Minnflyer... I always figured that was what most smokers felt about it. That's exactly what us non-smokers fear though.. :devious: Of course, when I die, I want it to be right after I say, "Hey guys, watch this!" but...

BTW, AMA rules state;

10) I will not consume alcoholic beverages prior to, nor during, participation in any model operations.
Old 08-15-2002, 02:17 PM
ChuckAuger

Default Drinking makes you smoke?

Originally posted by lnorris
hehe, Minnflyer... I always figured that was what most smokers felt about it. That's exactly what us non-smokers fear though.. :devious: Of course, when I die, I want it to be right after I say, "Hey guys, watch this!" but...

BTW, AMA rules state;

10) I will not consume alcoholic beverages prior to, nor during, participation in any model operations.
Does consuming alcohol make you smoke??

Reminds me of an old Kiss song.."First I drink, then I smoke"....
Old 08-15-2002, 02:23 PM
lnorris

Um, no. I was referring to previous statements regarding drinking at the field also.

Actually it reminds me of an Adam Ant song...

"Don't drink, don't smoke, what do you do?"..

Old 08-15-2002, 04:03 PM
Robby
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi, my name is Robby... I am a smoker.. HOWEVER.. I do NOT
drink alky.. I do not allow for alky.. But when at the field it is not my place so I haven't anything to say about it..
As for rule #10.. How is one to tell the 'offended' it is against AMA
rules.. Tell him,, yeah right.. As he says to F**k off... Already been done.. And yes, the more he drinks the more agressive he becomes and even in flying.. Doesn't help that the officers of the major ruling club at the field are also drinking beers..
I am rather tolerant about this stuff.. But there has been a couple times I have packed it in for the day because of people drinking...
Smoking, I can fix a burn hole,, heck, I can even run from a burning plane<which I have never seen>.. BUT I sure as hell can not out run a plane flying close to 100 mph as it crashes into the pits from someone who is,,hhm, under the weather... Knew I shoulda paid attention in Superman class..

Robby
Old 08-15-2002, 04:26 PM
gshepherd83
My Feedback: (2)

Default kaaaaBOOOOOM!!

Our field is on a LARGE landfill and we have several smokers, they dont bother me, i've never seen anyone running around on fire or anything. However.... we do have all these huge vents sticking out of the ground......hmmm... I wonder what those could be for..?
if you ever hear about a trash filled mushroom cloud in SC you'll know what happened.

PS,

If an aluminum spinnner lands in your yard, its mine I've been looking for it.
Old 08-16-2002, 04:09 PM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: kaaaaBOOOOOM!!

Originally posted by gshepherd83
However.... we do have all these huge vents sticking out of the ground......hmmm... I wonder what those could be for..?
Exactly my point. I will not smoke anywhere that I consider dangerous. And if someone near me asks me not to smoke because they are allergic or something, I will respect their wishes... within reason.

For example, I would never light up in someone else's house, unless they were a smoker and lit up first, even then, I would ask.

If I went to a restaurant with someone, I would ask them if they mind sitting in the Leprosy... I mean, the smoking section. If they don't want to, I will sit in the non smoking section.

Where I really get riled up, is when people unfairly accuse me of infringing on THEIR rights. IE. I'm sitting there at the bar having a smoke, when one of these anti-smoking nazis sits down and starts waving their hand across their nose and looking at me like I had racoon entrails hanging out of my mouth. Hey, if you feel that way about it, GET THE HELL OUT OF THE SMOKING SECTION!!!!

I actually had some idiot tell me once that my smoking was more dangerous for her than it was for me! I said "WHAT??!!!"

She proceeded to tell me that I was getting the "first hand smoke" where she was getting the more dangerous "second hand smoke".

I said, "What the hell do you think I'm breathing when I'm not smoking? Do you think I can breath through my ***** and filter out the second hand smoke with my BVD's?"

Needless to say, it was our first and LAST date! LOL

I just wish that stupidity was painful.
Old 08-16-2002, 04:46 PM
gshepherd83
My Feedback: (2)

I said, "What the hell do you think I'm breathing when I'm not smoking? Do you think I can breath through my ***** and filter out the second hand smoke with my BVD's?"
THATS HILARIOUS!!!! I'm on your side minnflyer,you have great smokers etiquette. Normally I don't smoke, but if (or should I say when) I walk in a bar and have a beer I'm gonna end up smoking 1 or 2, I hear people in the bar complaining about smoke and it blows my mind, "ITS A BAR MORON!" usually reverberates off the neon Budweiser clocks,from the collective crowd of poisonous gas spewing, alcohol swilling pigs looking for our next second hand victim!! :devious: I guess the point is, realize where your going and be prepared to handle what might be going on when you get there, if your worried about smoke from someone elses cig, maybe your club can pitch in and buy you one of those big plastic bubbles, it probably wouldnt effect the range of your radio too much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.