Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

World Record attempt

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 12:26 PM
*Crash*Johnson*
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default World Record attempt

I wonder what the world record is for the most CONSECUTIVE days flying rc would be...

I think come Jan 1 I am going to break (or set if it doesn't exist) it.

How many straight days would be possible? I'm gonna find out.
The rules: Kind of like the AMA "All Weather Flyer" patch, but instead of once a month, I'm going for once a day. Any RC aircraft that leaves the ground counts as a flight.

Should start a pool... HHMMMM I wonder if Futaba and other big name companies would sponser me....
Old 11-09-2004, 12:46 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

Default RE: World Record attempt

I am not sure there is a category for it, but I am sure Mark Leseberg, Jr would take it.. !

I think he said he flew 340 days last year!! Shows in his routine too.. he is one amazing guy, both in the air and on the ground !
DP
Old 11-09-2004, 03:54 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about one for the longest "timewise" flight by the average pilot at a common airfield. Not associated with some military or Nasa thing
Old 11-09-2004, 03:55 PM
necorc

Crash - are you retired? How on earth can someone be lucky enough to have time to fly everyday.... I can barely get out once a month right now!!
Old 11-09-2004, 04:03 PM
*Crash*Johnson*

ORIGINAL: necorc

Crash - are you retired? How on earth can someone be lucky enough to have time to fly everyday.... I can barely get out once a month right now!!
Retired, No. but I, luckly, work for a boss who understands my addiction and appreciates my genius...

I think the plan of attack is this:

A E-heli for our warehouse, which is decent size. I also have a small foamie that I could probably fly around in there during winter months. We have a decent plot of land outside as well if the rain / wind / cold aren't factors. Could easily fit in a 5 or 10 minute flight in each and every day. And heck the e-heli's I can fly them in my bedroom if I have to
Old 11-09-2004, 09:23 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

How about one for the longest "timewise" flight by the average pilot at a common airfield. Not associated with some military or Nasa thing
I believe that RC lider pilots have ratings for duration. If I remember correctly (but I probably don't), the highest rank requires so many 8 or 12 hour flights. That's continuous, and the flights have to fall within a specified time frame, like one month or something.

Not likely to top their durations with a powered plane whatever they are. (Although the plane that crossed the Atlantic flew for something over 32 hours I believe.)
Dennis-
Old 11-10-2004, 05:17 PM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

Well you being in NJ and even me being in North Carolina there is a good possibility for some winter snow storms, hate to be looking straight up in the air and sleet hits be directly in the eyes
Old 11-10-2004, 05:57 PM
*Crash*Johnson*

just adds to the "coolness" factor.

Just like the "all season" patch, don't mean a thing to people in FL or CA who can fly all season long....
Old 11-11-2004, 11:07 AM
Spaceclam

why dont you try one of those hybrid electric thingies? if you can do what that guy did in the cross-atlantic flight and convert a 4 stroke motor (not two stroke, you get more power for the same amount of fuel with a 4 stroke) to run on white lantern fuel and mount it on a pod, you could use the motor to get it up to altitude and as far as you can and then jettison it after it runs out of fuel, on a parachute just to make sure that some innocent bystander is not killed by a falling model engine. if you followed that guy's steps, you could get the 32 hours or so of powered flight, and then you could run off a small, geared brushless motor and li-polys for as long as possible. you could gear it down a whole lot, and run a big prop for more thrust for the same amount of amperage, and just use hi capacity li-polys and string them together for super-high capacity.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:02 PM
*Crash*Johnson*

Not sure how this got onto the "longest duration flight".... not what I am talking about here. Who in there right mind would want to fly for 32 straight hours? How safe would THAT be?

most CONSECUTIVE days flying
even capitalized it...
Old 11-11-2004, 10:17 PM
Spaceclam

oops. in that case, get something that you could fly anywhere such as an indoor foamy, so you can fly it in all your spare time.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:07 PM
t to the maxx2
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: *Crash*Johnson*

ORIGINAL: necorc

Retired, No. but I, luckly, work for a boss who understands my addiction and appreciates my genius...

I think the plan of attack is this:

A E-heli for our warehouse, which is decent size. I also have a small foamie that I could probably fly around in there during winter months. We have a decent plot of land outside as well if the rain / wind / cold aren't factors. Could easily fit in a 5 or 10 minute flight in each and every day. And heck the e-heli's I can fly them in my bedroom if I have to
He already covered that
Old 11-13-2004, 12:23 PM
J3FAN

find out first what kind of "witnessing" is required to establish a record.
because just by your saying that you flew every day will not make it so.
It seems to me to be a "do-able" project.
takes STIK-TO-ITIVENESS to the max.
go for it !
but CYA first
maybe in the AMA documentation, somewhere, there is something about "record requirements" ????
Old 11-13-2004, 07:20 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Depnds on whether he's looking for an actual record, or simply bragging rights. Sounds more to me like he wants to tell people he flew 365 days in 2005, without lying of course. IF that's the case, then it sounds like he's got it covered in his first two posts, and is just looking for input on the idea.

I say, "give it your best shot, and have fun!"
Dennis-