Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

knuckle cracking and arthritis

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

knuckle cracking and arthritis

Old 11-16-2004, 09:15 PM
ifixairplanes
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default knuckle cracking and arthritis

Hello all. A question has been jumping around in my mind for a few weeks now. Has cracking your knuckles been proven to cause arthritis? The reason I ask this is because I am a habitual knuckle cracker. I think it feels good, gets the fingers flexing. I particularly like doing it before tedious tasks such as soldering, building, and flying my RC models. I even cracked my knuckles before typing this post out. I ask this because I want to do everything I can to enjoy this hobby for as long as I can. I don't want a stupid thing like arthritis to ruin my ability to fly when I get to an older age.

Thanks to those who respond.

Sean
Old 11-16-2004, 09:21 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: knuckle cracking and arthritis

Not sure anything has ever been proven, but I have a primary knuckle that I use to "crack" as a kid all the time.

Now quite often when I wake up in the morning, that finger is bent into the palm and I have to massage the knuckle for a few minutes before I can straighten it out. It tends to ache when my hands are cold too.
Dennis-
Old 11-16-2004, 09:40 PM
ben flyn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't stop, you'll go blind!
Old 11-16-2004, 09:41 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Jeez--is this warning I see above the posting box for me, or is it a general warning for all whose presents shall enter? 1st time I've seen that. DB, you been cussin' agin?

Anyhoo-- I have asked the hand surgeons I have worked with over 22 years worth, must be mor'n a dozen, guess how many different answers I've gotten? Yep, mor'n a dozen. None of them will say it's bad for you, none of them will say it's good for you. How non-committal can you get? Sure does feel good to do it though; I, too am a kanukal krakker. It does seem to me, though, that the more I do it over time, the tighter they feel sometimes if I don't crack them. 'Course, I'm older now than I used to be. Sort of which came first, chicken or egg?
Old 11-17-2004, 07:01 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you live long enough, you'll notice things cracking, just moving. I've noticed that if I don't stretch a lot, my neck gets stiff, my joints lose range of motion, and I get hurt easier. Oh, and by the way, just stretching makes joints crack, now.

More to the point, I've been an habitual knuckle cracker since high school, and still am. My knuckles don't ache any worse than the rest of me, and I can still play guitar, operate a microscope, cut balsa, etc. with no pain. Washing dishes, or vacuuming the floors , those are out, but that might not be arthritis...

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 11-17-2004, 07:50 AM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

I wonder if A.M.A. has a forum? (the medical AMA - not model AMA)

Ditto all the rest, I kinda look at it like stretching before exercising..... my thumbs. I'm kind of curious about the effects too.[]
Old 11-17-2004, 08:04 AM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

From what I have read there is no definitive research on this subject. To say there is or is not a correlation is a myth. Some studies have been done but are flawed in that they did not take occupations of participants into account. There was also some question of what constituted habitual knuckle cracking.

If you are really curious you could Google some information on the subject. If you just want to talk about knuckle cracking in an RC forum than you're just really bored and out of RC related topics to discuss, like me.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:40 AM
hookedonrc

Cracking your knuckles, or cracking a joke are probably OK. However, if you graduate to cracking your head, or cracking an egg, your in trouble. For me I like cracking open a bottle.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:04 AM
ben flyn

ORIGINAL: hookedonrc

Cracking your knuckles, or cracking a joke are probably OK. However, if you graduate to cracking your head, or cracking an egg, your in trouble. For me I like cracking open a bottle.
I think your cracking up!
Old 11-17-2004, 10:33 AM
rare_bear

did you hear that someone is selling a 10 year old grilled cheese sandwich on ebay which has the likes of a virgin mary embossed into the toasted surface features? so far, it has a $22,000 offer. talk about cracking up...

so what's this post got to do with arthritis & knuckle cracking?
Old 11-17-2004, 10:39 AM
BasinBum

I think you guys are on crack.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:39 AM
rare_bear

For me I like cracking open a bottle.
is that before or after your flight?

heh heh heh
Old 11-17-2004, 10:56 AM
cwrr5

Believe me - I would LOVE to crack one open right now! unfortunately, thats illegal where I'm at..... [&o]

Definitely nothing better to do! What in the world does knuckle cracking have to do with anything?
Old 11-17-2004, 11:18 AM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

I actually asked a chiropractor this question a few weeks ago. He told me about a study done in the 1990s where elderly people were separated into three groups--people who've never cracked their knuckles, people who crack their knuckles a couple of times a day, and people who crack their knuckles more than twice a day. The group that suffered arthritis the most (most cases of arthritis) were the people who NEVER crack their knuckles. The group with the least arthritis was the group who cracks once or twice a day.

He said that what you're really doing is stretching the joint and that it can be good for you. Hey, that's basically what chiropractors do right--crack your bones? Only they do it to your back and neck.

He also said that cracking your joints releases endorphins and that is why it feels good and also why it is addictive.

Do I crack my knuckles? Yup, since sixth grade. It annoys my wife to no end.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:31 AM
rare_bear

What in the world does knuckle cracking have to do with anything?
ask js3's annoyed wife [&:]
Old 11-17-2004, 11:37 AM
ZAGNUT

knuckle cracking is gross, just like spitting and butt scratching. i don't think it has anything to do with how limber you are either, i can't crack any of my joints and am extremely limber.

and i get my endorphins from other activities...

dave
Old 11-17-2004, 01:24 PM
BasinBum

ORIGINAL: ZAGNUT

snip....................am extremely limber.

dave
I've heard of guys that could do that but never knew one personally!

Hey Zagnut, pull my finger.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:49 PM
ZAGNUT

sorry, thought that was your finger i was pulling on...you must be one of those guys that say "size doesn't matter"
Old 11-17-2004, 02:05 PM
lionheart

I usually crack my knuckles because they're dragging on the ground. ZAG - You know..... Bigger the plane, smaller the.......
Old 11-17-2004, 03:46 PM
scottrc

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

knuckle cracking is gross, just like spitting and butt scratching.
dave
Some of us are talented enough to do all three at the same time and continue flying.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:49 PM
Me-109K4

As a guitar player, I can tell you that finger cracking does have some effect on your joints. I used to be a finger cracker, and after I learned guitar and started playing all the time in a few bands my fingers would hurt at the joints. Somewhere along the lines common sense told me to quit cracking my knuckles, and the problem with my fingers hurting gradually went away. This being while my guitar playing got more complex, and I started playing in a band that was in high demand.
Old 11-17-2004, 05:03 PM
Mike Bogh
My Feedback: (14)

Fair enough question.
From my un-scientific point of view, I think cracking your knuckles help/instigates arthritis. I cracked them all the time in my youth, and clearly have arthritis now, in my fingers.
They hurt when cold, and move Oh-so-slow the rest of the time. Perhaps being a semi-pro waterskier helped aggrivate my current condition, makes sense to me.
Old 11-17-2004, 05:14 PM
cwrr5

knuckle cracking is gross, just like spitting and butt scratching. i don't think it has anything to do with how limber you are either, i can't crack any of my joints and am extremely limber.

dave

Yes, but I LIKE to spit, scratch my butt, crack my knuckles, fly r/c, and annoy everybodys wife(including mine)...... Now if I can just figure out how to do it all at once like scott...
Old 11-17-2004, 05:42 PM
khodges

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: rare_bear

What in the world does knuckle cracking have to do with anything?
ask js3's annoyed wife [&:]
said he's been doing it since 6th grade and it annoys his wife. must have got married in 5th grade. (which, by the way, were the three best years of my life, before R/C)
Old 11-17-2004, 05:45 PM
dglick10

May want to ask someone that lives in California - They've got a health / hazard warning on everything!! Have you ever noticed that anything and everything sold in California "May cause cancer".

Ought to break that state off from the rest of the country....Invade/overthrow it, and turn it back into a democratic society !!

(No offense BasinBum - you seem to be normal enough!!)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.