Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 10:41 PM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice

I recently sold some items, an old airplane kit with an old green head K&B .19, a Fox .07 and a New muffler for the .19. The kit and engines were all in excellent condition and was sold for 50.00 shipped, everything fit in the kit box. My problem is I shipped it USPS in the original box and It never reached it's destination, now how does this get resolved, I already put a tracer on it hoping they find it, but it's been over 2 weeks. The buyer has been e-mailing me looking for his stuff, so now has anyone had a similar experience?

PLEASE!!! Do not respond to this post by telling me I should have used a different shipper, but that's it for USPS

Thanks
Frank
Old 11-30-2004, 10:50 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Need some advice

A freind of mine had some stuff shipped out canada post when she moved form one end of teh country to teh other. In teh box were some tapes (audio), personal effects, and soem oethe r'general stuff'. When teh box arrived in Vancouver, it was full of boxes-o-staples, indelible markers, paper rolls for calculators / cash registers, and a few otehr ofice supplies. Someone went to a lot of trouble to ensure the box was about the right weight.

When she contacted teh post office, there was nothign they could do. SInce she didn't put any 'insurance' on it, they coudl only trace it from where it came from, and where it was going.

Apart form a trace, you can ask for confirmation that it passed though the various points on its route. With the tracking number in hand, someone should be able to help you trace teh route, and maybe find where it went missing. But chances are, that it was delivered, but to the wrong house. Or it was left with someone, or between teh door, and some kid ran off with it.. Liek everyone on teh this planet

Anything could have happened, and chances are, it's gone.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:59 PM
airega1

OK so what do I do about this guy's money?
Old 11-30-2004, 11:21 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

Unfortunately, the burden is on you to get the package to him Refund his money and next time USE INSURANCE. USPS "loses" stuff all the time without insurance. USPS uses contracted carriers who don't even work for the postal service. They can and will "inspect" non-insured packages to see if there is something of interest in there. I know beyond a reasonable doubt that my carrier ripped off a set of antique Harley gas tanks... learned that lesson once. I never send anything of value without insurance.

DP
Old 11-30-2004, 11:22 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I sent a tuned pipe from Houston, Texas to California by USPS. I was told it would get there in 3 - 4 days. Like you, I started getting emails from the buyer saying that he still didn't have the pipe. After about 2 weeks I sent the buyer his money back and then the next day, he received the pipe.

Now if I send anything USPS I pay the extra charge to get a tracking number.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:27 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

I don't have any suggestions for your problem, I just wonder why Dr.Wogz can't type THE.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:32 PM
airega1

LOL he's pretty consistant
Old 12-01-2004, 07:45 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Two weeks through customs at the Canadian border is not unusual, sometimes it's much longer. It's not USPS's fault.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:51 AM
vinnyjet
My Feedback: (39)

frank
someone shipped me something i got on rcu via usps
it showed up 6 weeks late and had the postage stamp
the day the guy said he shipped it
vinny
Old 12-01-2004, 08:22 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

All I would be able to do other than the trace, and to keep good with the customer, is refund him and try to look for the package. To me, every shipper looses and breaks things, so mise well spend a few extra and insure the stuff and keep your options open by not eliminating using USPS as a shipper. Check the threads here pertaining to shipping, we all had problems with FEDEX, UPS, USPS, DHL, Greyhound, and even the local paperboy can't do anything right for us.

BB - Dr. Wogz has a French-Canadian-Euroergonomic-Politicallycorrect keyboard.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:30 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sux, but you are responsible to refund if they don't come up with it. Thats the danger of shipping without actually using certified or a traceable means.

I sent a package that way once and it got lost. Refunded it and 6 months later, got the package back crushed and destroyed and partially burned. They put a note in it saying it got stuck in a sorting machine. That made me feel a whole lot better.

Hope you find it.
Old 12-01-2004, 05:41 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just wonder why Dr.Wogz can't type THE.
Dyslexic fingers of course!

Frank,
Always best to insure, always best to pay for delivery confirmation, and ALWAYS pay the $0.45 for a tracking number. Unfortunately I'd say you owe a refund too. It IS your responsibility to get the item to the buyer, because you're the one who'll have to deal with the shipper to get an insurance claim resolved if they lose it. There's nothing the buyer can do.
Dennis-
Old 12-01-2004, 05:58 PM
BigSkyRCFlyer
My Feedback: (36)

So what would you guys say about a Refund if you were the seller, and the buyer didn't want insurance, or refused to pay for it? If it got lost or broken, should you as the seller/sender refund, when insurance was offered? I run into that a lot when I sell on that great internet garage sale site. Hint , Hint. I hate shipping, for problems like this. If I ship USPS, I always just pay for Confirmation, so it has a number as others have said, to track if needed.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:29 PM
RCJake-rcu
My Feedback: (7)

A friend once sent two engines (Saito 50 & HP 49 4c) to me Priority Mail from IA. Two weeks later, they had not arrived yet, so I called him. He couldn't believe it! Well, he called USPS and the lady told him that according to their records, the package was shipped on May 15th and was delivered on May 13th. He then asked her if she understood what she just had told him, to which she replied, "Well, that's what is in the system and that is what happened. If you would like a copy of this information, send in $18.00 and she will send a copy to you." After telling her that he did not want proof that a package was delivered before it had been shipped, he hung up. Since he did not insure the package, he was out big $.

Seven months later, the package showed up at my door, undamaged and in perfect shape.

We now tempt fate by using that same box, over & over. It has not been lost again...YET!!!