Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Who do you remember

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 08:53 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Who do you remember

The late great Johnny Clemence, his store was always filled with new and wonderful things, and he ALWAYS had a smile to share.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:26 AM
Flypaper 2

Hal DeBolt has contributed as much as anyone to this hobby in all aspects. Believe he still plays in the gyrocopter forum.
Old 12-10-2004, 02:31 PM
Roquewj
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Flypaper 2

Hal DeBolt has contributed as much as anyone to this hobby in all aspects. Believe he still plays in the gyrocopter forum.
Unfortunately I just heard that Mr. DeBolt has cancer and his doctors gave him no more than 6 months.
What a shame.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:30 AM
PT21Flyer
My Feedback: (1)

Claude McCullough has always been my idol. My dad and I always went out to his farm in Iowa when we were on vacation to see what he had built that year. He designed most of SIG's trainers. And he's still at it.

Jerry
Old 12-11-2004, 11:20 AM
Chevelle
My Feedback: (2)

Who do I remember as being the most responsible for me being in this hobby? Why that's easy... MinnFlyer's dad.

Yep. MinnFlyer, me, and another cohort (Tom) went through gradeschool and high school together. Mike's dad was a big time pattern flier and all around R/C guru. I remember in the late 60s going down into their basement and looking at all the planes hanging from the joists. There were plenty of gold Craft radio boxes about as well. And of course there was the huge HO train set to mess around with.

The three of us flew the hell out of our Sterling CL planes since R/C was out of reach for at least Tom and me. We would live vicariously through Mike's dad by getting schlepped up to the flying field to watch him fly....and we'd shoot off our model rockets since we were there

Hey Mike. Maybe some day we should tell them about your ingenious concept that involved an unmounted engine and a handkerchief.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:46 PM
ec121k

Sorry to hear about Hal DeBolt. My first trainer was a Live Wire Trainer with single channel rudder and two speed throttle. This was back in Syracuse, N.Y. I don't think Hal designed anything that didn't fly beautifully. I also built a DeBolt Super Cub and that toted around my first Digital proportional radio. A used Bonner Digimite 4. All with an Enya .15 diesel.

Ed Izzo was in the club at that time and of course, flying those strange wings made of styrofoam of all things. I remember his article in M.A.N. about that new and revolutionary construction material. His SabreHawk was a great pattern plane and his Javelin was beautiful. I saw Ed in '91 at Byron's Striking Back fly in and am still kicking myself for not saying "Hello". He was flying and I was on the other side of the fence as a spectator. He's now flying in that club with Goldberg and Garcher and so many others that were instrumental in the early R/C days.

Enough already. Memories are great to have but let's get the young people exposed to this hobby.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:22 PM
Flypaper 2

I remember Ed's wife always standing behind him whenever he flew. We used to go from Kingston to the reservation where the club field was but forgot the name of the club. I hope the youngsters of today have as many good memories as us, when RC was growing up.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:31 AM
nickncalismom

I was lucky enough to have known Tyrone Parker and flown one of his custom built fun flyers back in the day. I ran across this picture and searched for any other images of Tyrone online and found nothing. I would like to add his picture in memory of him <3 Tyrone was an amazing builder, flier and man. He deserves some credit

He is in the beige shirt with sunglasses and is flying the fun-fly plane he designed and built. Taken in McKenna, Wa - 1991

I found this online:
http://www.oocities.org/capecanaveral/1245/funflyer.htm

and plans here:
http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_file...e-MB-05-91.pdf

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08996.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	2016546   Click image for larger version

Name:	FS26Moth.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	2016547  

Last edited by nickncalismom; 07-23-2014 at 08:35 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:44 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PT21Flyer
Claude McCullough has always been my idol. My dad and I always went out to his farm in Iowa when we were on vacation to see what he had built that year. He designed most of SIG's trainers. And he's still at it.

Jerry
I met Claude and Maxey at a contest in Cedar Rapids, back in 61. I'll always remember that they took the time to talk to a 13 year old kid that shared their passion for the hobby.

Man. This is an old thread !
Old 07-25-2014, 08:26 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

One we just lost last year: Dick Allen. First Contest Director of Rhinebeck. When I was with AGS he was also a member and he'd come to watch us fly. He had Parkinson's and his hands shook badly, but (on a buddy box) he didn't with a Tx in hand and flew smoothly

https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/...chardCDick.pdf

Also Ralph Jackson. Valley Electronics and ACL. He was a fixture at the Binghamton Aeros field and always had a smile and kind word for everyone. A true gentleman. If you like proportional R/C you can thank him for his early work and contributions to R/C.

http://www.rchalloffame.org/Exhibits/Exhibit19/
Old 07-25-2014, 06:52 PM
Soar RC

Back in the day I met and flew with/against guys like Sal Taibi, Chet Lanzo, Leon Schulman, Mickey DeAngelis,Henry Struck, Joe Beshar and others I can't think of right now.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:08 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Back in the day , me , nobody important , ever flew with anybody important in the hobby , I just flew with a bunch of great guys who were happy to be friends and fellow clubmembers and didn't need to be , , important .

Now as to names I remember , of course I remember building the kits of Carl Goldberg and the company named Sterling ? I think it was , put out a number of kits I built as well .

And nope , never met Mr Goldberg nor Mr Sterling either ......
Old 07-26-2014, 04:26 PM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I never flew with any one famous. I just met the Sig guys at a contest.

I take that back. I flew with two very important people.

The first was my Dad. He taught me how to build, and how to fly. He provided emotional and financial support as I progressed in the hobby. We flew nightly, after he came home from work.

The second was my friend, Jerry Dessert. His folks supplied $$$ but he had no one to fly with in his family. Jerry and I would fly in my neighbor's field almost every afternoon, during our Summers. Last I knew, he was still in the hobby. He's a glider guider now.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:09 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've always loved reading engine articles by Clarence Lee, and he is still out there writing and helping folks. There was a fellow I used to run into at Scale Masters contests that was really supportive and helpful and he flew twins. Don P. but for the life of me I cannot remember his last name.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:52 AM
flyalot
My Feedback: (63)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don Parsons.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:37 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by flyalot
Don Parsons.
That's it! Thanks!
Old 08-06-2014, 09:55 AM
carlgrover

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I called Claude Mculloch one day at his home before the internet, a total stranger to him, and he answered all kinds of questions about working with dope including techniques I had no idea of trying. Very helpful and friendly guy. Fantastic designer and builder as well. He not only did Sig's trainers, he designed the Kougar and other advanced planes. They fly fantastic as most of you already know.

carl