Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Shipping an R/C Model

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 06:35 PM
Wil1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shipping an R/C Model

Hi -
How do you ship an R/C (balsa/covering material) model with a wing span of 66 inches by 13 inch chord requiring a height clearance of about 8 inches? The fuselage requires 14 x 28 x 50 inches because of fixed vertical tail/elevator.

PERPLEXED
Old 12-07-2004, 07:29 PM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

Default RE: Shipping an R/C Model

Build a box. Get greyhound to ship it. (cheaper than anyone else, also accept oversize)
Old 12-07-2004, 11:51 PM
tucker1865
My Feedback: (6)

I do a lot of selling on that auction site. Get the cardboard you need at a appliance store that sells refrig/stoves. Make a plan of the finished size, I scribe the folds with a ruler and a screwdriver. It folds easily after scribing. Go to an upholstry shop and ask for scrap foam rubber, I had a couch and love seat reupholstered and got tons of it. You can get styrofoam peanuts at the post office or UPS store. Use both. Plastic bags you get at the grocery store, home depot etc are good and light. Crumple them up for packing. Maybe you could build a cradle out of styrofoam and I would ship UPS since they insure the package. Use your imagination. It will be stronger if you make a top and bottom just like kit boxes. Never tried greyhound though. You can also pay them to pack it for you, but that will probably cost an arm and a leg. Good luck. Dave
Old 12-10-2004, 04:30 PM
ballgunner

Set yourself up in the box of a pickup and fly the darned thing to its destination. This may sound silly but it's the only sure thing I can think of. Crates and may seem sturdy but somehow they manage to smash anything that's moveable. Used to get full scale wings clear across country and they even managed to wreck some of those. Of course insureance peid up but there is never compensation for delays.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:50 PM
schinus
My Feedback: (2)

I built a crate out of 1/4" plywood and 1"x 2" wood slats. Use the slats for the frame and cut the ply to fit. Use wood screws to assemble. Pack with papers or styrofoam. It is failry light weight but much stronger than card board. I shipped two planes that way from Ohio to Florida last month on a commercial van line carrier with absolutely no issues.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:02 PM
Wil1

Hi -
I am very sorry I missed your post and at least acknowledge it. However I could not have answered it. The biggest thing I ever shipped was an ornithopter and I do not remember how I did it.
I did not have wings to contend with and it and was a lot shorter than you are talking about. When I shipped 6 foot wing span models to my grandson I was only able to do it because his parents were driving from St. Louis to Connecticut. Again I apologize for not answering you at the proper time.

Wil1
Old 11-23-2006, 01:42 AM
venom290

Gray hound is the way to go.
venom
Old 11-23-2006, 11:36 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post