Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

The DOGS baby!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2002, 11:27 PM
Mike Bell
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The DOGS baby!!!

I have posted 1/2 a dozen local events here and have yet to meet anyone from RCU at one of them.

Now comes the DOGS, the biggest event for 100's of miles.

This ought to get a few of you out!!

Be nice to see who we have behind the keyboards!!

Hey, I am easy to spot and hard to forget

Mike
Old 08-26-2002, 12:06 AM
Joss Stick
My Feedback: (1)

Default The DOGS baby!!!

Where is it? Might try to go.
Old 08-26-2002, 12:12 AM
Mike Bell

Default The DOGS baby!!!

Wright Patterson Airforce base real close to Dayton. The runway is huge and is a mile or so behind the museum.
Matt Chapman did the noon time show last year and I am sure he will be there this time. He is an R/C pilot too.
If you can don't miss it.....It is not Nall but it is one heck of an event..
Old 08-27-2002, 02:23 PM
STUKA BARRY

Default The DOGS baby!!!

WHAT ARE THE DATES?
Old 08-27-2002, 02:46 PM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default DOGS

Aug 30th, 31st, Sept 1st. Registration starts at 7:00 am ($20.00) Flying starts at 8:00 am to 5:00 pm (after hours flying permitted) Primitive on-site camping allowed.

In case anyone was unsure- D.O.G.S. = Dayton Ohio Giant Scalers.

I'll be there at least one day if not more.
Old 08-28-2002, 12:27 PM
Fly4Fun2
My Feedback: (25)

Default The DOGS baby!!!

I will be there on Saturday. Does anyone know if Matt Chapman will be there again this year? I have not seen hardly any advertisements for the fly-in this year.
Old 08-28-2002, 01:50 PM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default The DOGS baby!!!

Flier I have says nothing about him being there. Does say for more inof go to.....
www.franknolljr.com
Not alot of information about it there. Other than date, and some good general info
Old 08-29-2002, 11:23 PM
Mike Bell

Default The DOGS baby!!!

I went Matt's site and If I rememger right he is is Canada this weekend
Jerry Smith is coming for sure the last I heard 2 days ago along with many of the best pitots in the world and then there are some that are not the best......Like me......
Even if you don't plan on flying it is one he$$ of a show.
Tons of warbirds.....Many are HUGE...100's of 3D types..and every other type of plane you can imagine and some you can't.

Just a couple links
http://www.rcwarbirds.com/dayton2001.htm
http://www.fly-giantrc.org/album/dayton/dayton.html

Mike
Old 08-30-2002, 10:25 AM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

Default The DOGS baby!!!

I attended for the first time last year, lots of models but most of the flight time was taken up by the 3D guys.
Old 08-31-2002, 11:33 PM
Mike Bell

Default The DOGS baby!!!

Yes there was a far amount of 3D the past couple days but they asked all pilots to fly a pattern during regular hours which cut way down on the close stuff a bunch.
There was a mid air Friday with at least one of the pilots 3D'ing. I was making a run to the store for evening provisions and missed it so I can't say who was at fault.
Did meet some bud's from RCU. Nice treat! Just 5 or 6. The guy who built my Giles was one of 'em. Thanks for the info Charles!
Friday and Saturday's noon time shows were incredible with MANY fine warbirds with ground pyrotechnics for effects and a several strange planes with some characters for pilots.
The 3D only took up 10 minutes or less of the noon show.
Saw a lot of precision formation flying by a handful of the best in the world. Phenomenal!
Flew after hours with Jerry Smith. What a guy! Met Don Lowe. Spent a lot of time with one of the founders of the IMAA, Corky Heitman, and will be flying at his IMAA meet next weekend up north.
One heck of a time for sure. I didn't get in many flights but was busy for 2 days. Hard to get bored there for any R/Cer IMO
Still one day to go! Couldn't stay for 3 this year.

Mike
Old 09-01-2002, 12:11 PM
Fly4Fun2

Default The best of the noontime airshow

What a great show -

My favorite part of the noontime airshow was Frank Noll Jr. and Matt Stek doing a formation aerobatic routine. I have seen guys do formation flights before, but this was REALLY impressive. I hope someone has a video of it.

The food was really good this year as well. The bourbon chicken was awesome!

Can't wait till next year.
Old 09-01-2002, 02:48 PM
STUKA BARRY

Default The DOGS baby!!!

ANY FULL SCALE ACTS SHOW UP? SOMEBODY MENTIONED A MIDAIR, WHAT HAPPENED?
Old 09-01-2002, 05:48 PM
Mike Bell

Default The DOGS baby!!!

Robert Wagner with his Stearman bipe did a nice show. (Spelling and correct names don't count)
I have seen him a couple times before and he is always fun to watch.
Don't know what happened with the mid air. Heard several stories with different opinions.

Mike
Old 09-02-2002, 02:24 AM
Paul Grubich

Default The DOGS baby!!!

I used to go to this event and cover it for rcwarbirds.com but last year the planes were 80% 3D and 20% percent warbird so this year I skipped it.

You would think more warbirds would attend as this is held at the Air Force Museum.
Old 09-02-2002, 10:44 AM
Countryboy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Agree

Originally posted by Paul Grubich
I used to go to this event and cover it for rcwarbirds.com but last year the planes were 80% 3D and 20% percent warbird so this year I skipped it.

You would think more warbirds would attend as this is held at the Air Force Museum.
Paul,

It wasn't much different this year. I had been looking forward to this event and had intended to make a full weekend of it, but one day of 3D style flying was about all I could take. Of course my buddy with whom I rode up with dorked his 757 on landing at the noon show on Friday, which helped with the early departure.

Of course there was some nice warbird flying going on. Mac Hodge's & his B-29 as well as Greg Hahn with his P-38 were there. Just to much "Hangin" and not enough "Mustangin" for my liking.

The best event that I have ever attended was at the rally held in Kansas City about eight or nine years ago. Six hundred aircraft & ninety percent warbird. Hasn't been one like it since.

Thank's Kansas, for the memories.

All this 3D stuff may have helped me with my signature line.

Orson Wells "Invasion of the Martians" has very well come true.
"The Hovercraft have arrived"
Old 09-02-2002, 01:31 PM
STUKA BARRY

Default The DOGS baby!!!

HEY PAUL, WHY DONT YOU TURN THIS EVENT AROUND. YOU HAVE A YEAR TO DO IT. NOT THAT THE FLIPPIDY FLOPPIDITY'S ARE'NT INVITED, BUT YOU COULD HOST ONE HECK OF A WARBIRD MEET. THE NEXT "WARBIRDS OVER OHIO". YOU HAVE THE AIR MUSEUM RIGHT THERE. YOU CAN GET SOME SPONSORSHIP FROM THE COMMUNITY. INVITE THE LOCAL TV & RADIO STATIONS TO BROADCAST RIGHT THERE AT THE FIELD. ADVERTISE IN THE NEWSPAPER, THIS THING COULD BE HUGE! HAVE A FOUR DAY MEET. JUST A THOUGHT.
Old 09-02-2002, 01:45 PM
Mike Bell

Default The DOGS baby!!!

I really didn't start this as a debate over 3D vs. warbirds. Just wanted to meet some folks at the show from here.
Each have followers and I enjoy watching them both but I fly or at least try to fly 3D and am wanting to learn precision aerobatics.
Paul lives in Iowa, be kinda hard for him to put on a huge show in Ohio but I would like to see one here.

Mike
Old 09-02-2002, 01:57 PM
Paul Grubich

Default The DOGS baby!!!

Mike this is not really a debate over 3d vs warbird but just a comment on a truly great show.

The Dayton event has, in the past, seen a large r/c warbird turn out. The past few years the warbird flyers, for whatever reason, have not shown in great numbers.

I would like to see the warbirds return to Dayton and I will began a year long campaign on my site today to promote this return. I do not have the capabilities or the finances to hold a large warbird show but I think I can help promote the show to the warbird audience and maybe next year us warbird flyers will again return to Dayton.

Paul
www.rcwarbirds.com
Old 09-02-2002, 02:06 PM
STUKA BARRY

Default The DOGS baby!!!

WHO ARE THE WARBIRD GUYS FROM THE DAYTON AREA? ARE THEY INTERESTED IN PUTING ON AN EVENT LIKE THIS? YES, IT IS HARD WORK, BUT THEY NEED TO START NOW IF THEY WANT A GREAT TURN OUT, AND GET HELP FROM THE COMMUNITY. THE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE IS THE FIRST PLACE TO GO.
Old 09-02-2002, 02:15 PM
Mike Bell

Default The DOGS baby!!!

Originally posted by Paul Grubich

The Dayton event has, in the past, seen a large r/c warbird turn out. The past few years the warbird flyers, for whatever reason, have not shown in great numbers.

I would like to see the warbirds return to Dayton and I will began a year long campaign on my site today to promote this return. I do not have the capabilities or the finances to hold a large warbird show but I think I can help promote the show to the warbird audience and maybe next year us warbird flyers will again return to Dayton.

Paul
www.rcwarbirds.com
Be a great show Paul. Like to see it!

Mike