Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Leaving her hints for XMAS ???

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Leaving her hints for XMAS ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 02:53 AM
bobo_54501
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaving her hints for XMAS ???

If she doesnt know the difference of a Super Tigre to a Super Cycler .Or a Futaba to a Funtana whats the best way to leave her a hint on what you need ??? Circling pictures in Tower and in my magazines doesnt work .She doesnt pick them up .. Whats the best way to let her OR your kids know what to get Dad for Xmas ?? Im tired of socks and underware ...
Old 12-16-2004, 03:36 AM
CaptainGlo

Default RE: Leaving her hints for XMAS ???

Works for me....

I have a secret wishlist posted on my bulletin board above my desk. Then I partially cover it with other pieces of paper and other stuff. It's still visible. When she sees it, she thinks she discovered my deepest secrets.

Good luck.

Oh...and Merry Christmas & Happy New Year too.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:23 AM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even with a list with the prices and where to get the stuff left on the kitchen counter doesn't work for me. I still get the socks and shirts.....lol. I really can't complain though...a couple of years ago, I got a Something Extra and an OS46fx for Christmas. She figures I will get what I want anyway, so why not get me something that I will not buy for myself.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:41 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

I do this every year. I go and put what I need on layaway and she goes and cleans it out. No problem. It's the best way since she has no idea what any of it is or does.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:43 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Use pictures, stock numbers and the phone number of the place to order from!
Old 12-16-2004, 01:04 PM
donhef

I had both my Wife and Mother in Law ask me what I wanted for Christmas. My Wife was pretty savvy and said to me "just give me the list like last year" which I did. She already knows that anything pertaining to aircraft or model aircraft is a plus for me. My Mother said she would go in with her for the gifts, but she always gives me cash (cash is good!). Although I did show her some nice sweaters on EddieBauer.com! So I should be getting the rest of the items I need to complete my Pete & Poke over the winter (engine, receiver, battery).

Happy Holidays All!

Don
AMA#791825
Secretary
WWFC AMA#449
Old 12-16-2004, 01:26 PM
vkernus
My Feedback: (1)

I simply pull up my wish list from Tower and let her pick what she wants to get me
Old 12-16-2004, 02:35 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Tower and the LHS should set up a Christmas Registry, like a bridal registry, so that all she has to do is look and check off what she wants to get us.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:19 PM
mkranitz
Banned
My Feedback: (60)

Ahh, but I have a better idea!! WE WILL DO IT!! For birthdays, Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanza or whatever you celebrate. Now, what do you think about this little feature:

You can set it to email the potential gift giver at regular increments!! You know, little annoying reminders like: "Hi ____, this is a computer hired by <your name> to help you pick out his gifts. We know how hard it can be to shop for an RC geek, so this ought to help" -- Oh, to stop these messages from coming, you either have to click this link or smack <your name> at dinner."
Old 12-16-2004, 05:41 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

I like it!

I also wouldn't mind getting what ezgoer has as his Avatar, but doubt my wife would go for it.
Dennis-
Old 12-16-2004, 05:41 PM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

Here is a no fault way,, find what you want in a magazine catalog or something, call your buddy and pre arrange the conversation,, when you and her are buy yourself in the kitchen, livingroom or whatever, call your buddy and have the catalog handy, then just talk about RC stuff on the phone in front of her to your buddy, just rant and rave about how much you want this item and tell how you had thought about ordering but will hold off for a while, after she sets there and listens you have planted the bug,, then just start leaving the magazine on the kitchen table or her table with the appropiate page showing,, ,,, P>S also you can tell one of your buddys wifes to do you a favor and tell your wife that she over heard you talking about how much you wanted this,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 12-16-2004, 05:53 PM
gridley

My wife of 28 years just asks what it is that I am yearning for this year. It's all in how you hold your mouth!!
Old 12-16-2004, 07:40 PM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

it works on the my parents so the wife should be alittle more work but it can happen
Old 12-16-2004, 08:12 PM
last12know

If your wife is of the internet generation the best way is to set up a wish list on tower or whatever other website out there and it that site will send her an email with your list attached. I have tried the magazine with circles around what I want and that has not worked. I have tried just telling her what I want and that has not worked. try the wish list thing.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:55 AM
bobo_54501
My Feedback: (19)

I like the Buddy Call idea ..My wife says I always talk way to loud on the cell phone so it would be all to easy to talk just a little louder so im sure she would here and it wont make her none the wiser .. Ill scream about that Super Tigre 75 I need and about that Top Flite Elder that looked so sweet at the field .Ill even ask him really really loud what page in tower its on and then repeat it several times just to confirm it ..This might work good . Just cant do it while those home improvment shows are on .She gets to focussed on how to build lamps out cool whip containers and such .Or how the 5 queer guys ruined some dudes life and put him in councelling forever ..
The registry thing is a sweet idea to . When will they set that puppy up ??
Old 12-17-2004, 08:12 AM
ben flyn

It's easy, just ask for a gift certificate at your LHS!
Old 12-17-2004, 11:34 AM
mulligan

I've tried the subtle approach like the buddy call- doesn't work (she says she just isn't sure she'll get the right thing). I've given her a piece of paper with the model numbers, hobby shop phone number, and who to talk to written down- doesn't work (she says it's not enough of a surprise that way).

So now, I go and buy whatever the hell I want, give her the receipt and tell her to pay the credit card bill (which she does anyway). Now ain't that holiday spirit!
Old 12-19-2004, 09:42 PM
Mhale71

i nail my list to her forehead

anyways, i dont find a point asking for rc stuff for christmas, maybe birthdays, mainly because well, the budget to spend on me inst near my monthly spending on the hobby, so really, whats the point in asking for something like that?

mike
Old 12-23-2004, 01:11 PM
Nuker

My LHS already had the gift registry setup. For any client we can provide a detailed list of all components that we would like to have; regardless of price. Then any family member and/or friend can ask the LHS for either the "official" list of what we'd like or will provide items in a specified price range.

Makes shopping a whole lot easier, I get stuff I want and certainly gets the LHS more sales too
Old 12-23-2004, 02:31 PM
beardking
My Feedback: (4)

I just send my wife links of exactly what I want, and she weeds out the extremely expensive ones (something tells me that the Bushmaster AR15 is not going to be sitting next to the tree) and buys the rest. Works great.