Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Cold Storage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 09:37 AM
bdphil
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cold Storage?

Do you guys have any suggestions for storing planes, etc. in an unheated building? I normally keep all my models and gear in my heated garage, but I need to open up some space and I'm thinking of moving a few to my storage building. The temps here don't usually fall below 20F and I was thinking of just removing the batteries for storage. Are there any other things I need to consider (besides moving to a warmer climate, which I plan on doing soon)?

Thanks,
Ben
Old 12-22-2004, 10:51 AM
jettstarblue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cold Storage?

Speaking from experience, you don't need to do anything if storage is in those conditions.

Of course, keep them dry. Remove the batteries and keep them inside somewhere.

The main thing to remember is when you bring them out of storage, make sure the plane/radio components/servos come up to the ambient temperature before you hook up the batteries/power, otherwise condensation may be inside the components and cause damage.

If the storage area tends to be damp, run a small fan ALL THE TIME to circulate air.

I've stored several planes in an unheated garage, and I can tell you it's far better than storing them in a damp, cool basement. (green rot on the wires from moisture)
Old 12-22-2004, 11:29 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

THe only thing I will add to this is that if you have phenolic or fiberglass wing tubes, they will get a little tight.
Be ready for this.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:26 PM
FOD MAN

I just want to add that no matter how dry it feels if you have a concrete floor and any humidity it will sweat with temp changes.they must be kept off the floor or any steel will get surface rust and aluminum will corrode.i have used what i thought was dry storage with ventilation and have had these problems.i now wrap with plastic (off the floor)and have had no more problems. i also wipe a light coat of oil on any exposed steel (control rods, engine parts and wire gear)as it only has to get damp once for the rust to start.other than that i have had no problems.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:12 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

If you worry about moisture, you could also use damprid. We used to use it in a storage unit and our stuff stayed dry and mildew free.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:56 AM
bdphil
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm gonna go ahead and remove the batteries and probably wrap them in plastic to keep the dust out. The floor of my storage building is concrete so I'll put them up on some shelves. I'll probably only keep them stored for a month or two, I just need to free up some space to work on other projects.

Ben