Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

CO2 Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 12:58 PM
donhef

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CO2 Engine?

Hey Folks,

I recently inherited the model airplane collection of a Gentleman who was a neighbor of a friend of mine. I got lots of goodies (more lumber than you can shake a dremel at!) plans, pieces and parts and oh so much more!

While going through all the boxes, I opened a smaller one up and was surprised to find what looked like 2 VERY miniature glow engines, but they had a long piece of what looked like wire comming out of the back of them and an assortment of small aluminum bottles and more-mini O-rings than I can count. The information included with them states that they are made in Checheslovakia (sp?) and are both listed in the 1986 Guiness book of Worlds Records as the "smallest working engines in the world". One is a "G.10" and the other is a "G.28".

There are very nice small wooden propellors and a few plastic ones that go with them as well, but there are no instructions as to how to make these things work or how to fill the bottles up with CO2. The both look like they have never been run, let alone attached to any airframe. It seems as if this Gentleman built mostly free flight rubber models, but there a lot of electrical components (switches, batteries, etc) also in the boxes I got so it looks like he was starting to make a transition to EP flight prior to his passing.

My question is this, does anyone have any idea how these little engines work?, I'd like to learn, but since I'm into .46 glow powered A/C, I don't see myself using them in the immediate future, but would like to maybe set them up as a display for doing Club show & tell's.

Thanks for any and all info! I'll try and get some pictures uploaded sometime this weekend.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Don H.
AMA#791825
Secretary
WWFC AMA#449
Old 12-23-2004, 02:25 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: CO2 Engine?

What you have are two of the extraordinary Gasparin engines. No longer in business for a couple of years, they are the most famous and excellent performers. Gasparin has built engines so small that five of them could be placed on a postage stamp and even had one that two of the five clinder radials could could be placed on a postage stamp. These smallest ones had to use special bottled gases as ordinary bottled CO-2 had contaminants that would foul the microscopic valves.

The production Gasparins have been popular for indoor freeflight and indoor RC. I never had the pleasure of owning one, just a vintage OK Cub CO-2.

Check the blacksheep site here: http://blacksheepsquadron.com/index.html You will learn all you need to know to operate and 'fly' those wonderful little jewels.

here was his largest production model, a three cylinder radial:
Attached Images  
Old 12-23-2004, 02:46 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Or you could list them for sale. You may not need them, but they could be GOLD to another modeler
Old 12-24-2004, 09:27 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or, if I were you, I'd hold on to them for a few years, as I'm sure their value will increase. Make or buy a nice little glass "bell jar" display and keep them in pristine condition. Collectors will one day be searching for them.
Dennis-
Old 12-27-2004, 08:53 AM
donhef

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, thanks a lot Guys!

I'd like to go ahead and try to get the smallest one working, just as a static display, but since John said someting about needing a special CO2 gas, I'll be taking my time to look for the correct stuff, since I really don't want to muss these littel jewels up. I did find a lot of empty CO2 cartridges from Daisy in another box so I hope there wasn't any damage to the internals on either of them.

Minn, I'd like to put the larger one up for sale, or trade...guess I'll have to get an account set up here and see.

DB, thanks for the advice about the "bell jar". I'll start looking for something on that order in the Spring when the Flea Markets start to emerge from hibernation.

Again, Thanks Fellas!

Don
AMA#791825
Secretary
WWFC AMA#449
Old 12-27-2004, 10:02 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Don the little G-10 is the smallest production motor not the smallest Gasparin ever made. That G-10 will work fine on normal C0-2. The ones that I was refering to that needed the special gases made the G-10 seem like a monster.

Study the Blacksheep site carefully you won,t hurt it. Those dasiey canisters were used to charge the small flight tanks through an adapter.

John