Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

OK Guys...you have a $500 budget...what do you buy?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 08:54 PM
IFlySlowPlanes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK Guys...you have a $500 budget...what do you buy?

Here's the deal. My Christmas bonus was $500. I know it's not a lot when you start talking R/C stuff, but let's, for the sake of argument, hear what you think I'd be most wise to invest in. Here are some additional parameters. I have all the field equipment I could possibly need for a glow-powered mini-fleet of airplanes, so I'm not interested in getting more of that sort of thing. I have three airplanes in various states of readiness (one of which is the infamous Mach II from the "...and there she sits" thread. Up to now, I've always favored .40 sized planes, both for the cost and the....well....mainly for the cost. My only flyable plane currently is a Seagull Spacewalker II, which I love dearly. My third plane (as yet untested) is a variation on the "StickIt" planform (carbon fiber stick fuse, big, fat wing with huge control surfaces, meant for 3-D and such). With me so far?

Here's what I've been considering. I know I could acquire a new VectorFlight Edge 540 and .90-sized 2-stroke (maybe even an Evolution 1.00), along with a flight pack for under $500, and the thought appeals to me. I've heard nothing but good things about the company, and I love the look of the plane, I like the idea of going to something more scale in nature, and I'm hankering for something a little meatier in both size and capability (I see this as an IMAC-type aircraft rather than one capable of 3-D, and that's fine with me). Now, having said that, I've also been jonesing for a simple park flyer, perhaps of the ABX variety or possibly a foamie of some sort (Shockie?...Tensor?.....or perhaps a GWS Tiger Moth?). This would be for those days when it's just too much of a hassle to drive half an hour to the club field when the local soccer field is 30 seconds from here. Plus, I just got my kid brother an Aerobird Commander for Christmas, and it would be fun to have something comparable (but better!) to fly with him. Finally, I really would like to finally own a really good r/c simulator, with AeroFly Pro Deluxe being the prime candidate. The obvious benefit being that I'd have a way to stay fresh and current when the Northeast winter really sets in.

Given those loose parameters, what do you guys think would get me the biggest "bang for the buck" combination? Please limit your suggestions to remaining within the actual budget (none of those "but if you're willing to spend just $50 more...." kind of comments. I can do the math, trust me! It's just that I have other responsibilities which come first. My objective with the bonus is to use it in ways that I wouldn't ordinarily spend my regular income....this is for ME.

OK, that's the deal. Have at it! And thanks for your input!
Old 12-23-2004, 10:49 PM
bobo_54501
My Feedback: (19)

Default RE: OK Guys...you have a $500 budget...what do you buy?

My favorite (( if i could only keep 1 plane )) would be an old Sig Astro Hog with a 61 Super Tigre . You can fly it slow and relax or do alot of aerobatic stuff . Pluss they can even make a nice trainer . OR Maybe a Hog Bipe ..Classic Old School looks to .. Just a thought for ya !!!
Old 12-23-2004, 11:24 PM
IFlySlowPlanes

bobo,

I appreciate the thought, but I think of the Space Walker in much the same light as you do your beloved Astro Hog, so that would be redundant for me. As for the Hog bipe, I've never liked the looks of them. I like Bipes in general, but that one looks....I dunno....slapped together or something. Next?
Old 12-23-2004, 11:51 PM
lurker

I would go for the foamy. The combo kit is $299 with a couple of hundred left for an extra lipo and charger.

[link=http://www.insanefoamies.com/forsale/main.swf]foamy kits[/link]
Old 12-24-2004, 01:05 AM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Definately get a foamy set-up with li-pos and a brushless motor. You'll need the li-po charger and an extra battery but once you are set up you will have something you can fly almost anywhere, even indoors and nothing improves your piloting skills like a 3D foamy. The best part is you will have a plane that no matter how bad you crash it you're main investment will be intact. It is a rare foamy crash that takes out electronics or motors, usually just the airframe (which can be reglued) and maybe a prop or servo gears.

If you shop wisley and do the homework you might have enough left over for the sim.
Old 12-24-2004, 02:02 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good advice, BB!
Old 12-24-2004, 04:55 AM
Mike Bogh
My Feedback: (14)

Foamy all the way..never had so much fun...spendy at first, but the payoff is awesome.
Here is my review of the Tensor with photos...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312315
No offense..
Merry Christmas to all.
Old 12-24-2004, 06:03 AM
Mhale71

if you go for the foamie idea a good idea would be the gws glue, that works on foam very well.
Old 12-24-2004, 09:42 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Although not on my list of things to get, a foamie like the "Shock Flyer" with a brushless set up and Lipolys would fit into your parameters. And as stated, if you "shop" there might be funds left for Aerofly Pro or a used G2 set up.
Dennis-
Old 12-24-2004, 03:38 PM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

I would go with somhthing to take up a couple of days in the winter to build,,, I would go with
1. Great Planes J3 Cub ARF (21st century fabric covered) $189.99
2. O.S. .52 fourstroke $176.99
3. Hitec Universal Flight pack,,, $ 93.99
4. Extra Hitec 425bb servo $16.99
5. Shipping From Tower/Horizon $17.99
Grand Total- $495.95
This will last for many years
Old 12-24-2004, 04:49 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I could recommend lots of planes but I like your idea of Aero Fly Pro Deluxe. I have the original AFP and it has made me a MUCH better pilot and I got better fast with this sim. It's totally worth getting since it will save you lots of crashed planes. You'll be amazed when you go out to the field and try all those cool tricks you learned sitting behind your pc. The Foamy plane is my 2nd favorite. BTW, you could probably get a faomy plane and the AFP Deluxe for $500.
Old 12-24-2004, 06:26 PM
GRANT ED

I have decided that after christmas is over I'm going to buy a shockflyer with brushless motor li-po batteries etc etc. So this is my suggestion. I am getting one of these cos I've got almost every type of plane I want except for a small 3D plane. So this is my suggestion.
Old 12-24-2004, 08:39 PM
IFlySlowPlanes

Thanks guys for the suggestions! I had always thought of a foamie as a cheap alternative, but I can see that the cost of the plane itself is only the tip of the iceberg. Still, there's a lot of appeal in having a plane that is easy to transport, requires no cleanup, and has the potential to last me quite awhile. Now, understanding that I've never flown a single 3-D maneuver, how difficult is the learning curve? I'm one of those guys who really appreciates the technical skill required to complete a smooth rolling circle, let's say, and at the same time I see real beauty in them as well. But getting back to my point....let's say I go for a foamie with all the associated gear. For just starting out, is a Tensor 4-D too much (I'm fascinated by its potential) or would I be better off going for a Shockie (I like the Edge best)? As has been pointed out already, either way, with wise buying strategies, I should be able to acquire a complete electric setup and also get AFPD at the same time (an essential purchase once I decide on a foamie, wouldn't you say?). I have mental images of flying in the park already! Again, thanks guys for all your input. And Merry Christmas to all....
Old 12-24-2004, 11:02 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

I'd go with a Shock flyer. I just got a 330S and really like it. Awesome performance. Also AFP deluxe has foamies in them and they fly realistic so there's your training. Learning curve for 3D depends on your desire to get good. Start by viewing the manuevers and beinbg able to name them. Find your favorite ones that are not too hard and start doing them on the sim. Then take it to the field and try them out in real life. Enjoy.
Old 01-08-2005, 11:38 AM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

VectorFlight Edge 540=estimated at $180.00 once you pay shipping to get it. $20 for epoxy and CA, and misc to put it together when you get it. $100.00 for a good Ball Bearing Servo Flight Pack assuming you have your own radio. And a Thunder Tiger or Magnum 91 4stroke with your remaining $200.00. Here is your $500.00 Top Quallity Plane!
Old 01-08-2005, 12:32 PM
dicknadine

real simple-- $500. worth of balsa and a quart of CA from Lone Star. would probably last me till my 81st birthday, come July. dick
Old 01-08-2005, 07:21 PM
ckangaroo70

ORIGINAL: dicknadine

real simple-- $500. worth of balsa and a quart of CA from Lone Star. would probably last me till my 81st birthday, come July. dick
WOW! How much would a quart of CA cost?My little 2 ounce bottles cost plenty. I cant' imagine what a quart would cost!LOL
Old 01-08-2005, 10:17 PM
RCJake-rcu
My Feedback: (7)

I'd give $250.00 to my wife and keep the other $250.00 for the new Hangar 9 P-40 due out in March...but that's me...
Old 01-08-2005, 11:03 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: IFlySlowPlanes

Paint for my new jet.
Old 01-09-2005, 12:03 AM
ckangaroo70

ORIGINAL: rcjake-RCU

I'd give $250.00 to my wife and keep the other $250.00 for the new Hangar 9 P-40 due out in March...but that's me...
I wouldn't give my wife nothing. I would just let her know who wears the ...............................................oop s. I can't finish this post, the wife is calling me. Needs me to do dishes, take out the trash, and rub her aching feet! Sorry fellows! I GOT TO GO! OH CRAP! Here she comes! Hope she thinks someone else wrote this! AAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
Old 01-09-2005, 12:06 AM
ckangaroo70

Its me again! The wife just straigtened me out. I would give the whole $500 to your wife. That would be the best thing to do.
Old 01-09-2005, 12:31 AM
ckangaroo70

OK! Back on the subject. I have the GWS Pico Moth and the larger GWS 400 Tiger Moth, and the PT-17 GWS 350. The Pico is great for tight places, but you have to beef up the struts and brace the wings a tad stronger for outdoor flying. With this done they will take a slight breeze, but any kind of wind is out of the question. Just dont have enough guts to push through the wind, but still easy to handle even with a breeze. The 400 Moth requires a bit more room, and actually clips along at a pretty good pace with the supplied 10x6 prop. Mine are set for 4 channel control instead of three, and handles more like a small nitro powered Plane. A soccer field would be great for the 400 moth or the Pt-17, but I would not attempt either of these in a gym. The downfall is, that these are not really cheap substitutes to a nice .40 -.60 size nitro Plane. There are lots of options, but if you go with all GWS equipment, except for Radio, you are still going to end up with a couple hundred bucks in the larger two, and about $50 less in the pico. Now I understand you have $500 to spend, its just that I think GWS Planes and electronics are a tad overpriced for what you get. Don't take me wrong, I really like the GWS Planes. I just don't think they are the best bang for the buck. Right now in my opinion the VectorFlight ARF's are the best bang for the buck in the market today! If you really want to make your $500 purchase look like you spent a $1000, then I would definately recommend VF. I havn't checked the rescent VF pricing, but they normally run about 1/2 price of whata comparible Plane in its class runs. I gave $149 for my edge when they was on sale, which I felt like I got such a good deal, I then splurged for a new Saito 1.00 for it. If I had bought another brand at twice the price, and half the quallity, I would probally still be saving my pennies for an engine. This is what I mean by the most bang for the buck!
Old 01-09-2005, 11:52 AM
IFlySlowPlanes

ckangaroo70: Loved the posts about the wife! If she asks, I'll be sure to tell her (for your sake) that I gave the money to my wife. If it were true, I think she'd take it without quibbling, but that's another story entirely. Now, between you and I, I don't actually HAVE a wife anymore (she's SEP ("Someone Else's Problem") now), so I can do what I darn well please!).

Having said that, I've finally begun to spend the bonus money, and so far, I've ended up going in a slightly different direction than originally planned. Since my income this year will probably allow me to eventually choose several of the options above (most definitely a Shocky or equivalent, and I absolutely MUST get a VF Edge...that much is certain!), I decided to invest in my kid brother's r/c future, while getting myself a little something to tide me over until it's nice enough weather-wise to warrant frequent trips to the club field to fly my beloved glow models again.

First, I got my brother a Hobbyzone Commander 2-ch plane for Christmas. He flew it first time out of the box with minimal coaching from me (must have more natural talent than I did when I started!). Yes, it's a simple plane, and he'll grow out of it quickly, but I didn't want to invest too much in a plane then find out he wasn't interested in the hobby. I liked how that thing flew so much that I bought myself an Aerobird Challenger to fart around with (and to keep him company when he's flying his). I like having a plane that I can take to the local sports complex (2 minutes from my house rather than the usual 1/2 hr trip to the club field). On a calm day, it's a hoot to fly, and on a slightly breezy day, it's a real handful. I've had no structural failures as of yet, but did kill the first wing against the goal posts....twice. Off to the shop for a new wing! Also picked up several extra battery packs and an extra DC charger for my brother and an AC charger for me (his came with AC, mine came with DC, so now we both have one of each). All that and I still have $200 left over, which I'm holding onto for any incidental costs associated with the closing on my refinanced mortgage on the 18th.

Having said all that, I want you guys to know that your advice has not gone unheeded! As I said, I'm allowing for the longer-term options in this year's budget, so I can have the best of both worlds. Oh, and I scored a Great Planes Piper Cub kit for $40 from a local flier also, so I have my winter project too! Hope everyone else has as good a 2005 as I'm planning to have!

Dave
Old 01-09-2005, 01:21 PM
Rebellion
My Feedback: (2)

If you're considering a 3D foamie, try shopping around in the 3D section at Hobby Lobby. These are really good people to deal with and will have everything you need at one place. Can give you some excellent advice and aren't afraid to NOT recommend something to you. Here's the link to [link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/]Hobby Lobby.[/link] Nice videos of most of their planes here too.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:48 PM
ckangaroo70

I always thought a couple of those Aerobirds with the combat modules would be fun to try. I have seen a little video of them dog fighting, and it looks like great fun. Here is a photo of my VectorFlight edge 540. If you decide to get one in the future I don't think you will be dissapointed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41774.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	212741  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.