Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

kids movie with model airplanes

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

kids movie with model airplanes

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 03:22 AM
bonanzadrv
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kids movie with model airplanes

Any one know of a movie that must be 20 years old, about a group of kids who were flying model airplanes?? Not even sure what it was about but I seem to recall something like this. It may have been a made for tv movie.
Any ideas????
Old 12-27-2004, 07:39 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: kids movie with model airplanes

I would be interested in it when you find out. I know the PBS show "Magic Schoolbus" had an episode where the class ended up flying a model. It was pretty good how the show explained many of the basics required for flight.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:56 AM
jettstarblue

No but I just came across a 1971 Popular Science magazine where they are advertising cigarettes and the guy is getting his formula one ready, and there is what looks like an Bridi model in the background.....
Old 12-27-2004, 11:27 AM
Mike Bogh
My Feedback: (14)

I remember that...it was a private school that was was taken hostage by terrorists..the kid with the remote control plane saved the day with it. Your right almost 20 years old. Can't remember anything else about it, sorry.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:46 PM
randall1959
My Feedback: (11)

Wasn't it "remote control"?
Old 12-27-2004, 02:36 PM
fozzie99

Called "Toy Soldiers" Released in 1991 they swapped chips in RC plane with terrotists remote
detonator.
Old 12-27-2004, 03:20 PM
vicman

I don't think that is the one they are talking about. Toy Soldiers was NOT a kids movie and was terrible to boot[:'(]
Old 12-27-2004, 03:35 PM
vinnyjet
My Feedback: (39)

i remember a film i saw a long time ago 20+ years
the kids were flying spitfires/hurricanes with there teacher
vinny
Old 12-27-2004, 03:52 PM
vicman

Was a young Don Johnson in it? If so it was filmed in Charelston, SC. I saw one of the planes in a hobby shop with his signature on the wing in the owners office. The story was the LHS owner was contracted to fly for scenes in the movie. The plane I saw was a camo scheme Spit.
Sorry still no title.
Old 12-27-2004, 07:55 PM
TOPGUNNER

ORIGINAL: randall1959
Wasn't it "remote control"?
"Remote Control" was a good movie... and it did come out a very long time ago..??[sm=confused.gif]

Maybe........?¿???
Old 12-27-2004, 08:08 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Both Macguyver and Magnum P.I. had episodes where models airplanes were involved---

Good stuff!
Old 12-27-2004, 08:24 PM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Razor-RCU

Both Macguyver and Magnum P.I. had episodes where models airplanes were involved---

Good stuff!
I bet Macguyvers field box is really something to see. What a handy guy to have at the field.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:37 PM
MathmanAHS

Actually, it wouldn't be that interesting. It would only have duct tape and a swiss army knife.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:22 AM
ClemenTang

ORIGINAL: MathmanAHS

Actually, it wouldn't be that interesting. It would only have duct tape and a swiss army knife.
and don't forget the rope he pulled off the jet ranger's tail rotor with! I was startled...

and the movie... are you talking about the one with a bunch of RCers flying from a city park got their planes taken over by a robot, or the one with RC planes shooting darts at bad guys?

Clement
Old 12-28-2004, 08:23 PM
Gravityisnotmyfriend
My Feedback: (2)

I lost all my respect for Macgyver after that episode. If I remeber correctly, he used the model as a distraction by BLOWING IT UP! [:@]He wasn't even in the air when it exploded! Why didn't he just use an RC car!? Maybe if he had duct taped it back together and it was flyable, I might have forgave him. Sorry, I don't have any info on the movie, I just wanted to rant.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:35 PM
timothy thompson
My Feedback: (1)

THE KIDS WERE FLYING SPIT MK 5'S AND USED DARTS TO BRING DOWN A SMUGGLERS MODEL. hAWAII 5-0 ALSO HAD A EPISODE WITH RC IN IT i WAS 15 AT THE TIME AND WISH I HAD A PLANE . iVE GOT 25 NOW AND IM 44. great wife!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-28-2004, 10:32 PM
Mike Bogh

This is the correct movie, the one the original poster was asking about.
Not the toy soldier movie made with action figuers.
ORIGINAL: fozzie99

Called "Toy Soldiers" Released in 1991 they swapped chips in RC plane with terrotists remote
detonator.
Old 12-29-2004, 12:23 AM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

the series hart to hart in the late 70's also used a .40 size P-51 in one episode, had it shooting bullets from the wing and Jonathen Hart blew it up with a garage door opener!!!!
Old 12-29-2004, 09:14 AM
jettstarblue

Who remembers the "Man From U.N.C.L.E." episode where the plane came at the T.V. screen, then when it got close like it was going to come through, it did! Then the broken plane laid there on the ground, and...and...and then I don't remember what happened next, I was 6.
I do recall the plane being a 172- I think.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:41 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting, the review for the 1981 movie "Toy Soldiers" goes as follows :

Movie description
Seven American college students are captured and held for ransom by a Central American government. When the United States refuses to pay their ransom, a seasoned soldier of fortune puts together a rag-tag rescue force comprised of a group of daring students. They are the "Toy Soldiers."

Credits
Cast: Cleavon Little, Jason Miller, Rodolfo De Anda, Terri Garber, Tim Robbins

There is one on the infamous auction site, right now, and the bid is $13.99, I believe, and the seller's handle is "Norwester68".

I believe someone was thinking of "Small Soldiers", a later adult movie, in an earlier post. I've not seen either one, and I'm wondering what was available in RC for a movie released in 1981. If it wasn't for Tim Robbins being in "Toy Soldiers", I'd probably rent it.

Amazing what one can find using Google....

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 12-29-2004, 12:25 PM
Mike Bogh

This is what I found.
Plot Summary for
Toy Soldiers (1991)
Billy Tepper is the leader of a group of rebellious guys at The Regis School. He has already been expelled from three prominent private schools. His best friend, Joey Trotta, is the son of the Head of the New York Mafia; Billy, all their friends and many other kids at the school have equally influential and prominent, if more law-abiding, parents. When Luis Cali's father is put in jail, he heads for the Regis school to put theson of the judge in charge of the case under hostage, only to find he has been removed. However, once he realises who the parents of the rest are, he decides the entire student body of the Regis school would be an even better bargaining chip.

Summary written by Liz Jordan {[email protected]}
Old 12-29-2004, 04:53 PM
scale dail
My Feedback: (8)

Back in the mid 80's the A-team tv show had an episode were the team got locked in a toy warehouse and they put bombs on the "toy" rc planes. blew the door and flew out and dive bombed the bad guys. I remember this one so well because I was lucky enough to work on it.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:37 PM
staggerwing
My Feedback: (5)

Okay, here's an oldie. Mickey Mouse Club, late 50's or early 60's. Story about a kid who flies control line. He's picked from a bunch at the park to go through the TWA flight training school to show kids what it took to become a pilot. It was a serial that lasted a couple of weeks.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:56 PM
The PIPE

That was a BRITISH movie...named "SKY TIGERS", I think!

Dear BonanzaDrv:

The PIPE Here yet again...and I am QUITE sure I saw the EXACT same TV movie YOU saw...it was a British movie, named SKY TIGERS, and there WERE RC model Spitfires going after a smuggler's RC plane (which MAY have had stolen jewels, or perhaps counterfeit money printing plates inside) in that one, for certain!

I even remembered that ONE of the "good guy" adults helping the RC kids out was a pipe smoking enthusiast in the movie (which ALWAYS wins points with me LOL)...but what has been said in this thread earlier by one "Timothy Thompson" LOCKED in the name of that long-ago British TV movie to my mind, featuring those "RC kids" and their Spits, led by adults with one of them, amazingly enough, being a "briar lover" like yours truly is, and I'm FAIRLY certain the name of that one "is SKY TIGERS"...!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Old 12-29-2004, 08:17 PM
ifixairplanes
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is a movie called remote control where a kid run away from home and lives in a model home. He brings all his models with him then uses them to ward of burgalars that try and get into the house. I remember apart in the movie when the kid is riding his bike and flying 2 planes and a heli all at the same time. This movie is what got me into RC aircraft. I was about 11 or 12 and watched it a few times.

sean

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.