Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

one more carpal tunnel surgery

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

one more carpal tunnel surgery

Old 01-07-2005, 10:49 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default one more carpal tunnel surgery

make sure you are typing with your wrists where they are supposed to be when your cruisin the forums. If you start feeling your hands falling asleep, adjust your keyboard height and angle. I am going in for another bout of surgery in a few hours for carpal tunnel syndrom. It is odd, after the two last year, I thought it was fixed, but now just half my hand falls asleep when I type and fly and drive. The nerve in the elbow is responcible for that one. Hopefully this will be the last one. I haven't been able to work on a plane much this year till recently due to the other two surgeries. This is going to screw up another couple months. Hopefully it goes fast.

Take care of those wrists. Its not fun. [:-]
Old 01-07-2005, 10:52 AM
grinder-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: one more carpal tunnel surgery

I hear you there brother. My girlfriend went in for CTS as well. not fun.

grinder.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68727.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	211747  
Old 01-07-2005, 11:14 AM
FLYBOY

Thats exactly what the last two looked like, this one will be in the elbow. Not fun. Never did have any pain with the last two though so I am hoping this one is easy as well.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:35 PM
scottrc

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Its not just the keyboard, 10 yrs of mousing has really messed up my right arm.

This really becomes a problem when flying, because my right arm will start hurting then go to sleep while holding the transmitter.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:54 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My right (mousing) hand started to develop a pain in the wrist and upper forearm a few months back. Didn't know if it were CT, but it scared the crap out of me. Started taking frequent breaks, flexing & relaxing both wrists regularly, and moused with left hand from time to time. The pain has since gone away but left a sobering reminder that I'm not as young and well-greased as I used to be.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:15 PM
cwesh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too started having problems with my right wrist from using a mouse all day long (work) Switched to a trackball mouse and have had no more problems. Even my home PC has one now.

Later!
Old 01-07-2005, 08:06 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Holy smokes! [X(] It's an epidemic!

I have been going numb, tingly, and suffering severe pain in my right hand for a couple months now. I just got this brace a few days ago and it is helping. I didn't know what was causing it but now it sounds the same as you guys. The dang mouse!!! [:@]

I lose the sensation and the ability to do fine detail work on my models. Is surgery the answer? Does it normally cure it?

FLYBOY, why do you think you keep getting it after surgery? Bummer, man...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10173.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	211958  
Old 01-07-2005, 08:27 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: FLYBOY

Thats exactly what the last two looked like, this one will be in the elbow. Not fun. Never did have any pain with the last two though so I am hoping this one is easy as well.
FLYBOY--If you're having the surgery at the elbow, then it's not carpal tunnel, but ulnar nerve, and the problem up there is called Tardy Ulnar Palsy. The mechanism is similar, nerve is entrapped or constricted and the pressure makes things "downstream" anywhere from tingly to useless. Usually carpal tunnel affects the thumb, index and middle finger the most, and ulnar nerve problems affect the ring and little finger. Of course if the whole hand is affected, it can be a combination of both, or like in my case, even further up and be a cervical nerve root problem (neck). Both of my hands feel like the palms and fingers have had the sh** slapped out of them, all buzzy and tingling all the time. I hope you get back to normal, nothing's worse than having a box of balsa sticks you can't do anything with.

I've been an Operating Room Registered Nurse for 22 years, and am currently a specialty coordinator for Neurosurgery (last 10 years). I see about 10-15 of these things (carpal tunnel and ulnar nerve surgeries) a month, not to mention back and neck surgery, as well as heads. Most people do very well, some redevelop problems; a lot depends on how much you use your hands and what you do. Good luck with yours, I'm gonna wait until I can't function before I give in.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:54 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2005 is also the year of the "thumbs" Instead of having mine broken by (those guys) The VA is going to do it for me. Both of mine are dislocated and the only solution is to break them, cut off some bone and re build. Only doing one hand at a time. At least nobody can say I am "all thumbs.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:44 AM
FLYBOY

khodges

Yup, thats what they said. They said it was as bad as they have seen. The two kind of go hand in hand so to speak. Probably have to have the right one done someday, but not at this time. I think this is the first one they have ever done without either putting the patient out totally or using a large sedative. They kept making comments on it. I didn't see the need for either. He couldn't do it with a local and the beer block seemed to do the trick. They all thought it was wierd that I didn't want more to kill the pain. I have a pretty high pain threshhold. Three surgeries so far and never needed pain pills. Pretty easy surgery really. Feels better so far. Hope it keeps going.

For all you with probelms with the mouse, I got a new mouse pad with the gel end your wrist rests on, it works great. So much more comfortable and less pain.