Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

You get No respect.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 10:11 PM
ben flyn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You get No respect.

Do you have freinds that think that these type of forums are are worthless and are filled with useless information?
And..... You couldn't possibly learn anything from here?
Old 01-20-2005, 10:32 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: You get No respect.

Actually, one of my buddies for several years usually asks me to check opinions and problems here of planes he is interested in. I have steered him towards some good ones and kept him away from nice looking bad ones
Old 01-20-2005, 10:35 PM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have any friends, just a few aquaintances, but my wife feels that it's a waste of time. However, she tolerates me being here, soaking up whatever knowledge I can glean, rather than suds at a bar, so........
Old 01-20-2005, 10:36 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Some of the more experienced guys at the field have said things to that effect, while others say they check it out regularly Whether it's a waste of time depends on what you're doing when you're not on the net. Personnally, I don't give a ---- what anybody else thinks, I enjoy it and pick up some pretty good info.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:50 PM
Ed

ORIGINAL: Snoop Doggy Bag

Actually, one of my buddies for several years usually asks me to check opinions and problems here of planes he is interested in. I have steered him towards some good ones and kept him away from nice looking bad ones
If you taught yo Daddy how ta use a puter, he could do it himself !
Old 01-20-2005, 11:56 PM
Live Wire

One thing about it you find out who your real friends are in a hurry. What we do with our own time and in our life is our business! With friends like that you don't need enemy's! You no exactly what I mean

[8D]
Old 01-21-2005, 07:15 AM
aimmaintenance

ORIGINAL: ben flyn

Do you have freinds that think that these type of forums are are worthless and are filled with useless information?
Actually I've noticed just the opposite.
Just about everyone I fly with has a computer and uses the net for about all their info. Many including myself, have dropped their magazine subscriptions and opted for the net for all their info.
A few of the guys spend some time here on RCU, but most just browse all kinds of different RC sites.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:18 AM
CCRC1
My Feedback: (13)

This site, when used properly is a wealth of information. I have commented for some time that if I owned a LHS I would be monitoring this site daily. Within a 72 hour time period I can pretty much determine if a specific product is good quality and will be in demand at the retail level. Before RCU, it was a shot in the dark. This site is a good image of what a retail hobby shop will see at their counters. A few that are never happy, but most that just want the item to reasonably fit their application and understand that they may need to work with it a bit to fit the exact need.
When a new airplane is released, I can tell if it will be a good seller within several days by feadback on this site. I also can find out if a product is a good buy, but requires a lot of extra work or modeling experience to get it where it needs to be. That way when new or inexperience customers are looking for products, I could advise them properly before the purchase so they continue to be customers, and not get frustrated and disgruntled.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:49 AM
hookedonrc

I work in the I.T. field so we are all pretty savy when it comes to forums, new technology, and sites like this. In the club I belong to, I think it is split somewhat. Not sure of the percentage, but there are those who think this is just a waste of time and that they already know what they need to know. For some that may be true, but I find RCU to be invaluable when I need help. There is always someone with an idea, answer, or technique that wants to help. Now my stepfather, on the other hand, wonders why anyone would want a computer. It's not that he hasn't use one, he just can't see the everyday value. Had to laugh though, he belongs to a golf league that has begun to communication only via e-mail. He is headed back online whether he likes it or not.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:58 AM
ben flyn

The MAIN reason I enjoy a hobby is the learning. This site and others IS a wealth of GOOD information. It provides an opportunity of learning, and entertanment. There is no place you can find up to date information on new products( i.e. if a plane comes out tail heavy), get great building tips, and learn what the WORLD is doing in RC. I think the problem of most, that have a disrepect for these types of sites, is they never spend enough time to see an overall trend in a product or subject. Many, I beleive, are jealous that I put more stock in information gathered from here, than what THEY are telling me.

It is amazing to me how anyone could look down on sites like this. If I owned a hobby shop, I would live on this site. Where else can you find up to the minute trends in sales?
Old 01-21-2005, 08:22 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Yeh, the club bought a radar gun and finally everyone is realizing there planes are not as fast as they think. ye ol Corsair came in at 101mph in a dive.

ORIGINAL: GeeBeeJim

ORIGINAL: Snoop Doggy Bag

If you taught yo Daddy how ta use a puter, he could do it himself !
[]
Old 01-21-2005, 09:33 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: ben flyn

They don't think the forums are worthless and filled with useless information, just some of the people that are in them.

(I hope they are NOT pertaining to me?[X(])
Old 01-21-2005, 09:52 AM
Deadeye

There is no way I could've advanced as far as I have in my 2 1/2 short years in this hobby if it wasn't for RCU. No way, no how.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:43 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

people who say that these forums are useless and have no information in them have never used them. They are loaded with good info, but as Scott said, you gotta learn to weed out the BS from the good info. Everyone has opinions, but some are just plain dangerous.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:03 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Ken and I are in the same club. I think I got their attention the day I flew the F-18 from free plans here in RCU. Ken and I run into each other here more than we do at the field![sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 01-21-2005, 11:11 AM
mvigod
Banned

Heck..I built RCU so I could learn more and be able to buy and sell. I was out of the hobby a couple years and had lots of catching up to do. I have gathered an enormous amount of info from the members here. It is no different from talking to them in person. Some of the "holdouts" don't realize this and sadly are missing out on the largest pool of information which is at their fingertips for free. Anyway..to each their own! 250+ new rc fanatics join RCU each day so don't worry, there is some respect
Old 01-21-2005, 12:48 PM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Some of the "holdouts" don't realize this and sadly are missing out on the largest pool of information which is at their fingertips for free.

Ain't it the truth! I used to get 5-6 mags a month--now it is only High Flight and Model Aviation because they are free with memberships to the AMA and IMAA. Anything I need to know can be found here quickly and without advertising bais. You will get different opinions, but it is true that "you can't fool all of the people all of the time." I have been around this hobby a while and it becomes VERY, VERY easy to tell who on this site is an informed person wanting to help and who is just trying to impress a few thousand strangers.[8D]
Old 01-21-2005, 01:17 PM
randall1959
My Feedback: (11)

I would have never gotten some of the ideas I got from here for AP and AV anywhere else. It's one of the best sources of information on the net. The forums and market place are easy to use and understand. In these pages are literally hundreds of years of rc experience.
Old 01-21-2005, 02:29 PM
NitroWoman

If it wasn't for R/C Universe, I wouldn't need the internet.[8D] Well, maybe for a little shopping.
Old 01-21-2005, 02:51 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a lot of BS on various forums. Some of my friends feel that wading through it is not worth the trouble. I think if we kept more on topic and were dedicatedly civil in our comments, the forums would get a lot more respect. Also a lot more use as people would spend more time inside to get away from the flying pigs.

Jim
Old 01-21-2005, 02:56 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

As I've said many times before "I've been in the modeling hobby for 70 years and I'm still learning". RCU is a fine source for information that you won't get at the field or a club meeting.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:26 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

I've been in the hobby for about 9 years now, and I learned an awful lot in my first 2 or 3 years, but the research it took before RCU was staggering. I subscribed to 5 or 6 magazines and read EVERY article in every one of them.

I also talked with every individual I ran into about what they used and why, how they set up their equipment, etc.

ALL of that info and more is readily available here to anyone who wants to spend a few days and search the site. And it's all free. Can't beat that with a stick!
Dennis-
Old 01-22-2005, 01:56 AM
AgCat1982

You rarely have to worry about someone, who doesn't know what he is talking about, giving you bad information. If it happens, almost without fail, many others will jump in and give you the real story! When you find several leaning toward a particular answer or idea, you probably have the right stuff!
Old 01-22-2005, 08:27 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

I'm here just to run into Nitrowoman[X(]. No I'm not a stalker (yet). I have also cut down on the number of mag subs I get since RCU entered my life. Thanks Mark and all the Mods to keep us straight. Even Ballgunner has touched my life
Old 01-22-2005, 11:46 PM
NitroWoman

If you run into me you better have good insurance.[>:]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.