Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Coulda burned the house down!

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Coulda burned the house down!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 12:43 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Coulda burned the house down!

Just thought I'd relate a story told to me this evening by a good modelling buddy...

He has one of those combination belt/disc sanders, and like most of us probably(? ) doesn't clean the dust from under the disc often enough. He was doing a bit of de-burring of some steel parts tonight, and apparently a spark went under the disc's table and got into the balsa dust under there. He went upstairs to go to the bathroom, and when he got back, there was a smouldering almost fire going!!![X(]
In his sander, there is this "cubby hole" for the dust to accumulate in, and there was a glowing mass about the size of a golf ball trying to burn thru his table, which has a case of fuel under it!

He was wondering what might have happened if he would have gone to bed early like he was thinking of doing?!
Old 01-23-2005, 03:59 AM
tIANci

Default RE: Coulda burned the house down!

Put a match light to coal and there is nothing much that will happen. Try that in a room full of coal dust and its amazing what happens. Old liners and coal mines have been devastated because of coal dust. Balsa dust will not blow up but a slow fire will start. Imaigne what happens if we are NOT careful with our fuel.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:48 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Good story to keep in mind. 1) Keep the workplace clean. 2) Before leaving the shop, check to see if everything is turned off and safely secured from causing a fire. I work in a basement with a furnace and hot water tank. I also paint and glass in the same basement but have a ventilated paint booth. Who knows how many times I picture myself disappearing in a flash of flame or comming home to just a smoldering foundation because I forgot to secure or store something properly.

Scott
Old 01-23-2005, 09:04 AM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might be time for a smoke detector. Even better one tied to the others in the house so they all go off together!!
Old 01-23-2005, 10:48 AM
trioval00
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

he might want to find another place to keep his fuel, not a good idea to keep it under a grinder/sander

just my 2 cents

mark
Old 01-23-2005, 11:31 AM
randall1959
My Feedback: (11)

I keep my fuel and any items that won't hurt to freeze in an outdoor gym locker. It's padlocked to keep anyone from tampering with it. My plane fuel, lawn mower fuel, and chainsaw fuel go out there as well. I also have a Co2 and a dry chem fire extinguisher close by.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:12 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Would be a good idea to have smoke detectors tied together! I think his are seperate battery type? Yeah, about the fuel...that's exactly what he said, "kind of a dumb place for my fuel, huh?" Now it's out in the garage...I wonder why the smoke detector didn't go off, maybe a more frequent check of the battery? We deal with so many batteries, that you'd think we'd keep a better eye on THOSE wouldn't ya?! I know I'm gonna check mine out more often!
And I think I'll get him a little present of one of those powder extinguishers, 'cuz he put the thing out with his spray bottle of Windex!
Old 01-23-2005, 01:21 PM
trioval00
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

you think we would be able to set up a trickle charger to the smoke detectors.
LOL

mark
Old 01-23-2005, 01:51 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if dust explosions can happen with balsa dust. I've seen a demonstration of dust explosions in a container using very fine dust and a candle. I forget what the dust was, but it was some material like wood dust.
Old 01-23-2005, 04:27 PM
mstroh3961
My Feedback: (4)

Grain dust is very explosive! More than one mill has tryed to impersonate a saturn 5 lift off!
Old 01-23-2005, 09:42 PM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

I kinda wonder if you could use a Li-po in a smoke detector...? If the smoke detector catches on fire, does it still sound the alarm?

Fire extinguishers are always a good thing to have around. I have one in the shop, one in the kitchen, and one in my truck so I have something at the field, just in case.(It's usually the only one out there). Be careful with the dust, it can and will flash under the right circumstances. Fairly good ventilation is usually enough to prevent anything from happening.(cleaning up the shop on a regular basis is good too- you never know what you might find under the dust! ) I'm more concerned about what it's doing in your lungs.... Can't be anything good.