Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

I can almost fly in shorts today

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

I can almost fly in shorts today

Old 01-23-2005, 12:21 PM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I can almost fly in shorts today

After 2 weeks of -10 to -30 temps, blizzards, wind and -60 to -80 wind chill; the weather has finally changed around...and HOW! 10:00 AM, temperature is 58 above, no wind. I'm going to fly today, and I may not have my pants on. [X(] The LT-40 and Cor-Star are looking at me with this 'please fly me' kind of look. OK, I'll fly ya...both of ya! And to my friends who snowbird in Arizona: HAHA! It's almost as warm here as AZ, and I didn't have to drive 1000 miles! [8D]

'Sun is shining in the sky, there ain't a cloud in sight
It stopped snowing, everybody's in a play
And don't you know, it's a beautiful new day
HEY HEY!'

So long, cabin fever!
Old 01-23-2005, 12:33 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: I can almost fly in shorts today

Ouch, that's rubbing it in to most of the rest of the country. I know the Northeast is getting hammered by a blizzard. Heck, here in southwest oklahoma it's sunny but only 27. so it's time on the building table today for me.

but glad that you get to fly though. have fun for the rest of us
Old 01-23-2005, 01:48 PM
Rebellion
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had it nice a couple of weeks ago, but now it's 34 degrees and winds are 16-22. BRRRR! I feel for the folks who are getting hit with the blizzard conditions.
Hope you enjoy it today Deadeye.

Dave
Old 01-23-2005, 02:07 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

I was going to blast Deadeye for rubbing it in, but seeing his location, I ain't sayin' a word!

Yeah, the blizzard's just finishing up here, still hitting Boston and Cape Cod though. It's about 0 degrees with a -24 wind chill, and I just came back in from shovelling out 2 vehicles when I saw this thread.

Glad you have a good day out there Randy. Send it our way, OK?
Dennis-
Old 01-23-2005, 04:26 PM
Deadeye

Although it was a great day for flying, our field is a soggy slop hole. I did have about half the runway that was dry, though. I did burn some glow fuel. Felt good after not flying since I maidened my twin almost a month ago. After about an hour, the wind came up, so I packed her in. Probably a good thing, I think. My last flight, the Dart (plastic fuse, around wooden frame) wasn't acting right after a hard snap roll. I had one hell of a time getting it down, and thought for sure I was gonna lose her. Apparently a bulkhead broke or something, as I can rock the wings back and forth, still got to check it out. It was a pucker factor of about 9.8. [:-]
Old 01-23-2005, 05:14 PM
3dd
My Feedback: (6)

yah almost that way here it's only 79 today and light winds
Old 01-23-2005, 06:15 PM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Here in Eastern NC the avg for this time of year is 45-50. Today had a high of 30 degrees with gusts up to 40 (YES THAT IS CORRECT) mph. My wife flew in from Denver on a business trip and she was scared to death on approach and landing. I am still listening to the stories. I don't want to think of the chill factor. Great day to watch football.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:13 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It was around 50 here today, calm, sunny with high clouds. I wore a longsleeve flannel shirt flying. If it is not windy, temps down to high 30's are not that bad. I mean you have the adrenaline flowing, Right?

Jim
Old 01-23-2005, 09:17 PM
submikester
My Feedback: (6)

I got a little sun burn here in Socal yesterday and today.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:27 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The locals down here are always saying "Betcha your glad your not in Montana?". Well, down here its been a constant 20 to 30 degrees. But with a 15 to 25 mph North wind with 89% humidity, that drops it down to 9 below. And this is steady. Plus, throw in the fine mist that turns to sheet ice. Yuck!

They don't believe me when I tell them what a chinook is.
I miss those days of going to breakfast with my nostrils frozen shut and then going to lunch in a t-shirt. Glad you got some flight time in.

Scott
Old 01-24-2005, 11:25 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Geez, I got the new Honda, Harley and Kaw out for a spin, the ran the 442 for a while to lube it up (hasn't been started in 2 months) and then flew my little electric Yak. Oh yea, had to fly the full scale 320 for 3 hours first!!!! You don't get much better than that!

Love MT eh Deadeye!!!
Old 01-24-2005, 11:28 AM
Deadeye

ORIGINAL: scottrc

They don't believe me when I tell them what a chinook is.
I can't blame them. Most people will assume you are crazy when you tell them that the day starts out at -20 or -30, and ends with the upper 50's or 60's. I've seen a 60 degree warm up in a period of 2 hours. Not good if you have cracks in your windshield.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:31 AM
Deadeye

ORIGINAL: FLYBOY

Geez, I got the new Honda, Harley and Kaw out for a spin, the ran the 442 for a while to lube it up (hasn't been started in 2 months) and then flew my little electric Yak. Oh yea, had to fly the full scale 320 for 3 hours first!!!! You don't get much better than that!

Love MT eh Deadeye!!!
Roger that! I wouldn't leave here for a million bucks. Our flying season may be short, compared to other locations; but where else can you fly 3 months out of the summer, and stay in the air until 10:00 pm without lights?
Old 01-24-2005, 11:48 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Roger that! I wouldn't leave here for a million bucks. Our flying season may be short, compared to other locations; but where else can you fly 3 months out of the summer, and stay in the air until 10:00 pm without lights?
In West Michigan you can fly till at least 9:30 at night in the summer. I feel about my area the same as you do. Lots of lakes for fishing, hunting and curvey roads for motorcyle riding when you're tired of flying.
John
Old 01-24-2005, 12:27 PM
FLYBOY

ORIGINAL: Deadeye

I've seen a 60 degree warm up in a period of 2 hours. Not good if you have cracks in your windshield.
Remember 1980, went from 60+ at noon to wind chill of like -60 by like 4:40? All the cherry trees in the flathead died. the sap started flowing and then froze hard. Killed a huge % of the trees up there.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:44 PM
Deadeye

Ed, I was only 10 years old at the time, but I remember it for one reason. They released school early that day, and I had an hour bus trip one way. The bus died (alternator, no radio) 20 miles from anywhere, we froze our butts off until somebody happened by. By the time I got home it was -20 or so, with a stiff north wind. As I remember, we didn't get as cold you guys did over in the valley, but it was cold enough to induce major shrinkage.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:07 PM
FLYBOY

Yea, I was a freshman in highschool. I missed the bus and had to run around the school till dad got there later. Roads all closed, power lines down, what a mess. Was fun, we got into all kinds of trouble.