Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

What have you guys forgotten or commonly forget to take to the field!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

What have you guys forgotten or commonly forget to take to the field!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 12:57 PM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What have you guys forgotten or commonly forget to take to the field!!!!

Just wondering what do you guys forget or have forgotten to take to the flying field,, I personally used to always forget my Glow starter and my Sunglasses, although sometimes I have had one wing, no transmitter, etc, I even rode one day 8 miles to fly and got to the field and could not find my JR 8103 tranny, It then doned on me that I set it on the bumper to load my fuel with the other hand, and low and behold it was still setting on the bumper[:-] that would have been expensive, I was just wanting to here you stories,
Old 02-02-2005, 01:01 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: What have you guys forgotten or commonly forget to take to the field!!!!

I've forgotten almost every thing portable from the TX to the field box. Little things such as starters and glow plug igniters can usually be borrowed at our field. I will not, however, borrow fuel.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:28 PM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What have you guys forgotten or commonly forget to take to the field!!!!

I will admit that I have been pretty lucky in this area. I guess I just go over in my mind all the steps to getting ready to fly at the field. I have yet to forget anything that keeps me from actually flying. However, I have forgotten my Frequency Pin (luckily we have guest pins), sunglasses, and a hat. I did forget to take a container of water in August one time. Had it made up and on the kitchen counter, walked off and left it there. It was one of those days where drinking a coke out of the machine didn't help your thirst.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:54 PM
canesugarrules

I have forgotten my wing bolts a couple of times. Usuall I am good about bringing everything
Old 02-02-2005, 02:59 PM
MerlinL14

Only once, my glow starter. But like said borrowing one isn't a problem.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:45 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If it can be forgotten, I will forget it. I swear sometimes I think my name should be Murphy

Now I run through a mental check list: Fuse, Wing, Tx, Flight Box.

Of course, If I have a Bipe, the "I" struts aren't on that list, neither is the removable canopy on a few of my planes.

And God forbid I put my glow starter on charge the night before.... It won't be in the flight box!

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!
Old 02-02-2005, 04:26 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

It seems to me that every time I need an Allen wrench at the field to tighten down a loose muffler, landing gear bolt, cowl screw, etc, the only size not in my box is the one I need that day. Of course this only happens when no one else is at the field, so I have to turn around and go home.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:52 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm really good at never forgetting the important things that I need to fly with. Things such as the wing, Tx, batteries, support equipment, etc.... It's the little things I become quite absent minded with.

I forget things such as:

1. When leaving for the field, I Forget to close the yard gate, hence letting the dog out, hence coming home to a very tired, but happy dog, a deranged wife[:@] and a block full of upset neighbors with uprooted flower gardens, satisfied female dogs, and tree'd cats.

2. Forget to fill gas tank on my truck, then drove 25 miles out into gods country to fly and run out of gas. All my planes are nitro, hence a good idea to have try a gasser. Also, this is when I find I forgot my cell phone.

3. Once forgot the directions to the new flying site and got extremely lost in country that resembled the scenery from the movie "deliverance". Remembered cell phone this time, but forgot to charge it and forgot the car charger was still in the wife's car.

4. Forget to bring bug repellent. Have by accident grabbed a can of cooking spray starch since it is also stored in the same cabinet and is in a green can. Found out that bugs like starch.

5. Forgot that hornets like to nest in the wooden spools that we "used" to use as set-up tables. I still like to use them and will move them up to where we all park for easy access.
Also, forgot that I was wearing starch and not bugspray.

6. Forgot that fellow flyers hate hornets, especially the guys who borrowed my can of bug spray. I also forgot that the club made moving the spools during the summer a violation in our safety code.

7. Forgot to attend the last club meeting when they enacted new addition about not moving the spools to the safety code.

8. Also forgot to ask for the new combination to the lock that they changed at the last club meeting that I forgot to attend. The last flyer before me locked the gate in front of me. I again found I forgot my cell phone.

9. Being a good fellow member, I would use my truck battery for power for fellow members hi-torque starters. However, the button sometimes sticks thus creating a constant drain. I forget to unhook the thing and, being the last one to leave the field, find the battery dead. Again, I forgot the cell phone.

10. Finally, I forget to tell time. Like when I tell the wife I will be home by 7 and I end up coming home at 11 because I get to bs'n with other flyers. I also forget to ask her before leaving for the new set of house keys since my present set didn't work when I came home.

Scott
Old 02-02-2005, 04:59 PM
bobo_54501
My Feedback: (19)

Worst thing I forgot ....Well if this counts It was something I left at the field . My wife always makes me take the cell phone incase I hork a finger off or something . Well we were flying pretty late in the day . By the time we got packed up it was dark . Im driving home and decide to call her ..Opps No Phone . I go back to the field and stumble around by the vans headlights and a cigerette lighter trying to find it . No Luck . You never have a flashlight when you need one and a lit lighter gets real hot on the fingers after awhile .
Well I come up with plan 2 . Drive back to the shop get a flashlight and the other cell phone . That way I can see something and call it and find her by sound .Back to the field I go rearmed and ready .I call my number and I can faintly here it ring .With my ring you can only here it play its little tune for maybe 15 seconds then it goes to my voice mail .
So off I go dialing and listening and dialing again . A fellow had crashed that day in some high grass . I had helped him look for parts . The stupid phone must have fell out of my pocket near the crash site .So im walking threw High grass dialing and listening like a 10 year old on Easter .. Warmer Warmer ...Colder Colder ..Warmer Warmer Colder Colder .Just about this time it starts to Rain . And rain it did . Noah would have headed for the ark that night .
Now ive got rain on my glasses The sound of rain dulling the sound of its ring and a flash light with Ever readys that are becoming Less ready .
Dial ,, Ring ,Listen ,, Walk ..Dial ,,Ring ,, Listen ,, Walk ,, After 15 minutes of this water torture I finally found it by stepping on it . I pick up my Mud Caked treasure and trudge back to the van soaking wet and freazing ..
When I finally get home and walk threw the front door looking like I just returned from an Amazon rain forest Covered in Mud and soaked to the bone My wife says with out looking ,,,,, Your Late you should have called me !!!!
Old 02-02-2005, 05:46 PM
DBCherry

Scott & Bobo,
Thank you both for making my day little brighter!! [sm=lol.gif]
Dennis-
Old 02-02-2005, 06:33 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Now I run through a mental check list: Fuse, Wing, Tx, Flight Box.
Me too! I forgot the radio once when I was test flying my Nosen Gere Sport. It was 25 miles from the house to the field. Made record time, but got in the car with a darn prop in my back pocket! Ruined an 18 inch prop and a car seat. Dumb!
Old 02-02-2005, 07:02 PM
J3FAN

OOHHH how I loved the story about the cell phone lost...! it could well be made into a movie.
I find that the distance from the house to the field is directly proportional to the chances of forgetting something. i.e. the longer the drive, higher the chance you miss something. Never missed anything since I fly 2 miles away from the house (electric) anymore.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:17 PM
Flyfalcons

Once I was so worried about forgetting the wing tube that I forgot the canopy [:@]. I did remember the wing tube though .
Old 02-02-2005, 08:19 PM
J3FAN

ERASED DUE TO DOUBLE POSTING
I need to find out WHY this machine is double posting my posts (?)
Old 02-02-2005, 08:55 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You fellows are making feel like the preverbal idiot. Went all the way to the flying field and had no plane. I had every thing else, but prior to going to the field I had put the plane together and taken photo's. I came into the house to look at the photo's, said to myself, damn that is a good looking plane, and drove off and left it in the back yard, right where I left it. I did have the transmitter and field box, just needed a buddy to loan me a plane. God Luck, Dave
Old 02-02-2005, 11:23 PM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 02-03-2005, 12:11 AM
3D-kid330

LOL
Old 02-03-2005, 06:51 AM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

DavidAgar I wouldn't have told that one,,,,[sm=bananahead.gif][sm=bananahead.gif][sm=bananahead.gif][sm=bananahead.gif][sm=biggrin.gif]
Old 02-03-2005, 07:25 AM
dalolyn
My Feedback: (7)

It was a long winter several years ago, coulnt wait to get to the field in the spring, nice day, in the high 50s, no or little wind. Apperantly the only thing I forgot was how to fly. But It must have been spreading , there were several people that day that didnt get to fly a lap. maybe I should of launched trainer a couple of times to get rid of the new plane jitters.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:41 AM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

6. Forgot that fellow flyers hate hornets, especially the guys who borrowed my can of bug spray. I also forgot that the club made moving the spools during the summer a violation in our safety code.

7. Forgot to attend the last club meeting when they enacted new addition about not moving the spools to the safety code.
LOL

What I leave at home most often is "common sense"-- It never seems to get to the field!
Old 02-03-2005, 09:55 AM
Buzzard Dave

What a great set of stories! i've forgotten everything one time or another....Tx, wing-tube, wing-struts, fuel, wing.

the 2 that stand out the most:

1 - i had changed engines on my Ultimate (the one in the avatar to the left). i went from a ZDZ40 to a DA50. well, the DA is noticably heavier. so i had to cut out the ultracote on the bottom of the fuse aft of the bottom wing and build a platform to mount the battery packs further back and run the leads from there forward. after doing all the things to mount the new engine and re-balance (over several weeks) i planned to take the bipe out one sunday afternoon. got to the field and was in the midst of putting everything together and suddenly realized: I had forgotten to re-cover the bottom of the fuse!!

2 - after having made one trip to the field with my Funtana90 without the wing-tube, and one trip half-way without the tube (and running back and getting it)....i'm very sure to always double (or triple) check that i have a wing tube with me when i got to the field. so i was really stumped a couple weeks ago when at the field (all alone), i'm trying to assemble my Funtana90 and just can't seem to get the wings all the way on the tube. What's jamming this thing???? After several minutes of confusion and pushing (and almost damaging wings) it dawns on me - i've got the wing-tube - but i brought the wrong one!! one from another plane with same diameter tube-but 6 inches longer!!! As one flying buddy later said "so there you are at the field - and you forgot to bring a hacksaw"

David S. - Tampa, FL.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:42 AM
voyager_663rd

Most funny thing(s) I forgot: the wing to my chip one time. the wings to my somthin'extra another. last was the wing tube for the extra.

No one is immune. Ask: how could you forget the wing? Answer: Dunno.

Uh, what was the question again?
Old 02-07-2005, 11:07 AM
CranstonSnord

I forget my wife everytime!!!
Old 02-08-2005, 09:58 PM
Gravityisnotmyfriend
My Feedback: (2)

It's sometimes the smallest things that are the most important. I built an electric that needed elevon mixing. The reciever that I had for it was on a channel that corresponded to a x-mitter that didn't have mixing. No problem, I pulled the reciever crystal out of a plane that had a transmitter with elevon mixing. Weeks later, I took that plane, and only that plane to the field. The range test wasn't worth a crap. There I was, testing connections and trying to figure out why my plane wouldn't respond until I realized where the reciever crystal was. [:@]
Old 02-09-2005, 10:48 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let's see...

So far at one time or another I've forgotten the "I" struts for a bipe, the canopy/hatch for an Extra, a transmitter, fuel or gas, glow driver, a person I had invited to go with me. Never know what's going to be next.