Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

What's the strangest thing you ever found in a box?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

What's the strangest thing you ever found in a box?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 01:43 AM
randall1959
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the strangest thing you ever found in a box?

Some time ago there was a story that made headlines. It entailed a fellow somewhere in the states, a modeler, that had either ordered a kit or bought one at the LHS. When he got home he opened the box and there was a letter, allegedly from some poor fellow in an Asian country, who was a prisoner working in a factory. He was pleading with whoever got the kit to call his or her embassy and to try to rescue him. If memory serves me correctly, some fact finding mission was launched, and wouldn't ya know it? No such prisoner here, so sorry......[X(]
So, having said that, what's the strangest thing anyone here has ever found in either the actual box or the shipping carton in something you've gotten, connected to rc?
Old 02-08-2005, 02:03 AM
76.ta
My Feedback: (39)

Default RE: What's the strangest thing you ever found in a box?

When I was younger a box that fell out of a pickup truck got stuck under the car in front of me. Because there were two good looking girls that got out I stopped to help them. As I got out of my 1976 Trans AM acting all macho I grabbed the box to yank it out from under the car. To my surprise it ripped open and a rabbit jumped out and scared the poop out of me. I fell onto my back and the rabbit ran over me and out into the weeds on the side of the highway. The girls got a good laugh and I got their phone # and a hurt ego.
Roy
Old 02-08-2005, 09:38 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My dad worked in a Chrysler dealership, postwar, from about 1946 to 1948. One two-door car came in with a rattle. He identified it as being between inside the rear panel, aft of the passenger door. Had to remove the seat & trim panel & reach up inside, and found a big 3/4" nut hanging from a wire with a note rolled up in the nut. The note said "Bet you had a HE// of a time finding THIS rattle!"

Another car came in with a discoloration and odor from the headliner behind the right sunvisor. Dad pulled the headliner and found somebody's sandwich, still in a paper sack, stuffed in there above the windshield frame.

A guy I work with was shipping some test equipment to Japan. One of the foremen used to ride a little bicycle around the building. The guy grabs the bicycle, stuffs it in the crate with the test equipment, and ships it off to Japan. I guess the foreman looked for that bicycle for a long time.

Ya never know what'll get put where, in a factory.

Dave Olson
Old 02-08-2005, 09:43 AM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

Hmmm strangest thing I ever found in a box... probably don't want to go there... ! Ever been to Thailand??

DP
Old 02-08-2005, 09:49 AM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In the 70's I was working on a P2V - Neptune, and found an old wrench that had rusted to the inside of the airframe just above the area where there were several connectors that I was rebuilding. It looked as if it had been in there since manufacture.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13322.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	226404  
Old 02-08-2005, 10:03 AM
Gordon Mc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Odd things found in a box ? How about when a couple of my buddies crated a jet to send it cross-country to its new owner... having seen the new packing ideas that involve inflated plastic bags (rather than loads of polystyrene foam peanuts etc), they adapted this concept with something else that gets inflated, and which is generally for sale only in adult stores[X(]. You can bet there was a bit of a surprise when the guy at the other end opened that shipping crate and saw what was hugging his new toy !
Old 02-08-2005, 10:08 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Scar

My dad worked in a Chrysler dealership, postwar, from about 1946 to 1948. One two-door car came in with a rattle. He identified it as being between inside the rear panel, aft of the passenger door. Had to remove the seat & trim panel & reach up inside, and found a big 3/4" nut hanging from a wire with a note rolled up in the nut. The note said "Bet you had a HE// of a time finding THIS rattle!"

Another car came in with a discoloration and odor from the headliner behind the right sunvisor. Dad pulled the headliner and found somebody's sandwich, still in a paper sack, stuffed in there above the windshield frame.

A guy I work with was shipping some test equipment to Japan. One of the foremen used to ride a little bicycle around the building. The guy grabs the bicycle, stuffs it in the crate with the test equipment, and ships it off to Japan. I guess the foreman looked for that bicycle for a long time.

Ya never know what'll get put where, in a factory.

Dave Olson
Hee Hee, that brings up a memory of when I worked in an Oldsmobile dealership. I towed in this old ladies Olds, which was a complete wreck, blown engine, never washed, looked liked she lived in it. Anyway, the boss sells her a new olds and takes this one in on trade. I went to open the trunk to check something and was blown over by a horrible odor which overtook the whole shop. By the way, this was in mid-August.
In the bottom of the trunk was a blanket with a tail hanging out of it. Not wanting to go any farther, I go in to ask the lady what was "it" that was in her trunk. She sat and thought for a moment, then had this revelation look on her face and said "Oh, that was where I put that poor dead cat I found on the road".

When working in a Supermarket, we used to find half dead Turantulas in the bananna crates.

The shipping manager at my company keeps saying that one of these days he's going to ship his boss to China.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:00 AM
FLYBOY

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

bingo field, we have 16 of those P-2s on our ramp here. Used to fly jets for the guy that owned them all.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:34 PM
Dig it

When I was in high school I took part in a work program. I got this great job at the local flying club helping the mechanics. Not even two weeks into it a guy rented a plan (Cessna 172) and went for a ride. Turns out that he was flying low and decided to chase some cows. He got a little close and hit one. Not only did the guy get a darwin award but the plane was a right off. My job was to completely dismantel this thing (not such a great job considering the amount of manuer and entrails on the fuse). a week or so later my boss was working in the cockpit when he found something. He called me over and to my surprise, it was the pilots ear. Nasty but true.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:19 PM
ifixairplanes
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: Dig it

When I was in high school I took part in a work program. I got this great job at the local flying club helping the mechanics. Not even two weeks into it a guy rented a plan (Cessna 172) and went for a ride. Turns out that he was flying low and decided to chase some cows. He got a little close and hit one. Not only did the guy get a darwin award but the plane was a right off. My job was to completely dismantel this thing (not such a great job considering the amount of manuer and entrails on the fuse). a week or so later my boss was working in the cockpit when he found something. He called me over and to my surprise, it was the pilots ear. Nasty but true.
[X(]

Natural selection proves itself again!
Old 02-08-2005, 03:56 PM
CranstonSnord

Hope this don't get me in trouble. Cleaning out a house for auction after the owner was commited to a sanitarium, in one medium sized box was found the following: naughty (very naughty underground stuff) magazines, 25 tubes of surgical lubricant, complete lab enema kit, one pack Dr. Phillips rectal dialators, a box of 50 D cells and a small, battery operated, low voltage cattle prod. GO FIGURE. OUCH! This box was less shocking than others.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:11 PM
blkbird68
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: CranstonSnord

Hope this don't get me in trouble. Cleaning out a house for auction after the owner was commited to a sanitarium, in one medium sized box was found the following: naughty (very naughty underground stuff) magazines, 25 tubes of surgical lubricant, complete lab enema kit, one pack Dr. Phillips rectal dialators, a box of 50 D cells and a small, battery operated, low voltage cattle prod. GO FIGURE. OUCH! This box was less shocking than others.

Cranston;
What troubles me most about your post is that you remembered all the details that well.....[X(]
Old 02-08-2005, 06:17 PM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: desertpig

Hmmm strangest thing I ever found in a box... probably don't want to go there... ! Ever been to Thailand??

DP
ah yup and we won't even go there!!!!!!! did like the fish net hanging from the ceiling trick though!!!!![X(][X(][X(]
Old 02-08-2005, 06:34 PM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

ORIGINAL: GrnBrt

DP
ah yup and we won't even go there!!!!!!! did like the fish net hanging from the ceiling trick though!!!!![X(][X(][X(]
How would we all know if we didn't all go there? LOL!
Old 02-08-2005, 06:52 PM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Holy Cats!!!!!!!!!! Someone even heard of the P2. When I was in Japan, the Japanese Navy had removed the old GE R-3350 recips and installed some kind of turboprop unit. Where the Avgas jets were, they put in some big carbon arc type of searchlight. We used them to launch BQM target drones from. You could hang one under each wing.

On another note, when I lived in El Centro, Ca. my boss and I sent his boss in San Diego a scorpion in a box. I hear he was somewhat surprised when he opened it. The shippers were none too gentle....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72073.gif
Views:	6
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	226618  
Old 02-09-2005, 02:20 AM
CranstonSnord

ORIGINAL: blkbird68

ORIGINAL: CranstonSnord

Cranston;
What troubles me most about your post is that you remembered all the details that well.....[X(]

LOL, I must say that I was traumatized (humorously) by the event. It was my uncle. He is a paranoid schizophrenic with grand dellusions...you name it, they are after him. Sadly, he was also a genius sauvant. He restored things. Mostly pianos, but any form of antique technology too. He did build one airplane when he was young which was still a perfect frame in the attick. Everything he touched was fit for a museum afterwards. The most perfect work I have ever seen. His work made the best F3A models look "just OK". Finding a fault in his stuff would be difficult if I gave you a magnifying glass and a day to examine it. If you had seen the tools in the house you would have started shaking with excitement. The best of everything, and not just one. He bought triple everything and hid two (the mafia would steal it instantly...the psychosis talking). He had built all of his own machine tools, all running on 2-phase electricity, I guess just in case the mafia tried to tap one phase at the junction box...no, he just wanted everything set like an industrial fabricant and when he built it all he found great deals on industrial delta 2 phase motors. Anyway, I don't mean to change the subject. Its early and I took a minute to remember about a great man with a sad condition who has, in spite of all, brought incredible talents and humor to those who know him.

Yes, I was also in Bankok. Went with my platoon. Returned to Korea with ONLY a hangover. Another soldier returned with something more exciting. He almost lost his eyesight. 6 Army doctors were clueless, but the Korean doctors knew the syndrome well. That sergeant regained full use of his vision and swore off exotic entertainment forever.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:43 AM
GRANT ED

I have found several tools and rolls of tape under the floor of aeroplanes while working on them. A friend told me a story a while ago about the time he was working on an oldish 747. He was doing some metal work somewhere in the tail. When ever he rivited he could hear a strange rattle behind a panel. The panel was fixed and could not be removed without drilling out some rivits. He told the chief engineer who said to remove the panel. When they did he found a complete 50 piece 3/8 drive socket set still sitting in it original storage tray. He figures it must have been there from manufacture. He has also found other things like riviting dollies in wings. Most have been there since the plane was built.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:35 AM
jettstarblue

Frozen rhesus monkeys and dogs used for lab experiments.
A human brain, sliced thin and kept in "Tupperware" like containers.

I could go on for days.

I used to haul infectious waste/bioharzard.

The strangest thing I ever found in an AIRPLANE box was the pencil that the worker used to sign off the QC ticket in a Sig model.

Hi Kim....
Old 02-09-2005, 08:37 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

My wife and I keep separate mail address to avoid confusion, of course hers is here at the house and mine is a couple miles away at the PO. One day last summer I go to check the box and I have a set of keys in it for a package in the larger PO Boxes. Now I always know when a package is coming but I had nothing that i was aware of.

There were two boxes. So I opened up right their with people around. The first box had "tissue size" box of full of Latex gloves. I'm saying to myself, "what the heck is this?" Then I opened the second box and had 4 bottles of medicated hand lotion.[X(]

I am totally stumped. I cannot imagine why this came to me in my name! After a couple minutes it finally snapped. About 2 months earlier I was at the VA hospital for routine checks when the Dr noticed my hands were kind of rough. He said he would give me some lotion to put on and wear rubber gloves over it overnight while sleeping

Well I left the hospital with my "meds" but no lotion or gloves. I figured he forgot about it so I blew it off. Then two months later "finally" I get this stuff.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:00 AM
Throttle

I use to make wine back in the 70s. In 1981 do to a spinal cord injury I was no longer able to lift the 5 and 13 gallon bottles in which the wine was stored. So I gave away all my wine except for a few wine bottles filled with Strawberry wine. I stored them in a standard wine cardboard box. We moved from Alabama to Texas In 1986 and as a year or two went by we drank a little here and there. Then one year we opened a bottle (which we believed to be the last bottle) to be shared with a Uncle. Only to fine it went bad. We believed all remaining bottles in the box to be empty and check no further.

Now move forward apx. 15 years. Two days ago I was cleaning up the area where we had store the wine box 19 years ago. I was going to give the empty bottles to a friend that makes wine. When I pulled the box out so I could open it up completely I was surprised, shocked, to see 5 full wine bottles!! Wasting no time I chilled a bottle and waited for the wife to come home. We anticipated opening the bottle. Upon opening we first let the fragrant whiff by our noses. Oh the memories that return as we tasted oh so fine a wine. Yes it was very good! This was wine made from our own strawberry patch so many years ago. Those were good times. Sometime a surprise find, and the return of memories can be wonderful. CHEERS!
Old 02-09-2005, 03:52 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: cwrr5

ORIGINAL: GrnBrt

DP
How would we all know if we didn't all go there? LOL!
Ever wonder why the capital of Thailand is called Bangkok? (Question for you military types who R&R'd there)
Old 02-09-2005, 08:23 PM
Redback

I found a box in the trunk of my car.

When I opened it I found to my surprise that there was a model airplane kit inside

I have absolutely no idea of how it got there dear

Terry
Old 02-10-2005, 08:12 AM
jettstarblue

That was funny.

Old 02-10-2005, 08:04 PM
twostroke
My Feedback: (6)

About 7 of 8 years ago a guy hauled in a new lawn mower for repair and said "it made a cluck and stopped now it leaks oil" the leak was from the hole in the engine block where it blew apart, while disassembling it I removed all the parts and set them on a rag and try to determine why it came apart, after a few minutes I realized there was a extra connecting rod cap that was left in the motor courtesy of the factory. I wonder who got the engine without one??
Old 02-10-2005, 09:42 PM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Well it wasn't exactly a box but this one I do remember. I lived in Palmdale in the late 50's near Edwards AFB and was about 13 when my Mom asked me to take out the trash. Well I took the bag out and lifted the lid to the garbage can which was in the garage and there was big old hunking diamondback coiled up inside on top of what was allready in there. I don't who was scared more, me or that snake but there's still a mark where I hit the rafters!!!!![X(][X(][X(]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.