Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

we need a solution to a problem

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

we need a solution to a problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 12:07 AM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: we need a solution to a problem

FRANK!!!! I KNOW YOU!!! You are big enough to kick anybody's butt who causes a problem. Seriously, I would love to hear what the AMA has to say about this..... and your presidents attitude toward safety. (PS-- missed you at the Chuckatuck Chilli Fly Saturday[:-])
Old 02-10-2005, 01:37 AM
MAJSteve
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had a similar situation at our club. Public field with management by the club - with all the responsibilities that incurrs.

The membership decision was: Pilot not to fly at the field for six months, then six months of supervised flying. We never saw him again, but heard he'd crashed several more planes at a non AMA site.

Better to lose a member than a finger.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:18 AM
FX4L2CX
My Feedback: (10)

Sounds like you guys need this guy like a submarine needs a screen door!

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few ..or the one!
Old 02-10-2005, 04:48 AM
Mhale71

give him a walmart toy , or tell him to break out the trainer before someone gets killed
Old 02-10-2005, 10:35 AM
crownvic

When you give up freedom for security you will lose both!

Lonnie
Old 02-10-2005, 10:49 AM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: crownvic

Lonnie

Ben Franklin would love you! I agree for the most part.. that is precisely why the club should cut the guy off. If the club does not self-police its members someone else will. That someone will most likely be some knee-jerk self righteous liberal politician who is trying to make a name for themselves.

I am the LAST person on earth who would vote for laws to protect us from ourselves, but this case is so clear cut that even an "anti-law" person like me would probably boot the guy.

There becomes a point where its difficult to discern between a person's freedom to do whatever and a person's utter disregard for others. I would let common sense prevail here and get the guy another hobby!

In this country, a blind man is free to use a rifle. Would you want him to??
DP
Old 02-10-2005, 10:54 AM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your freedom to fly a model airplane ends where my safety begins. It is important to remember that feelings are important, but lifelong scars and deformities are more important--not to mention possible death. After all, it is just a hobby.

Right???????[:-]

(well, maybe not)
Old 02-10-2005, 10:57 AM
crownvic

Desertpig I will have to agree with you on this. In my first post I also said that this flyer has to go on the buddy box untill he is capable of handling his planes! If he cant then he should no longer be permitted to fly at your field. Also let me say that the day will come when I also will be know longer abel to fly my planes or drive my car.You talk about loosing your freedoms!

Lonnie
Old 02-10-2005, 12:33 PM
randall1959
My Feedback: (11)

If I was the guy with the deep cut in his head I don't think the guy that hit me in that situation would have anymore planes to fly with after I was done. I don't think he'd have very many teeth left either. To allow this accident waiting to happen to even fly at the field anymore is just asking for trouble. You don't have to have malice of forethought to be a menace. If he won't take having to be on a buddy box then I feel you have no choice except to revoke his membership and ban him completely. Accidents happen, but this fellow obviously has less regard for the safety of others than he does for his own wants. If the president of your club can't see that this guy is a menace to others then I think it's time to hold a special election and get rid of him too while you're at it. This hobby is dangerous enough without idiots compounding things.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:43 PM
submikester
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: crownvic

Lonnie
This isn't about his freedom.

At AMA fields in AMA clubs as AMA members we are bound by safety guidlines -Radio Control rule number 2 states:

"I will not fly my model in the presence of spectators until I become a proficient flier, unless I am assisted by an experienced pilot."

If he can't follow the rules then he can't remain a member of the club and should not be allowed to fly at the field.

It is not a question of taking away his freedom it is a question of following our rules which could be considered our "laws."
Old 02-10-2005, 03:02 PM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

I have been watching this thread for a while now. It is a very contentious issue when it comes to pilots abilities that are impaired either through lack of skill or -gasp- declining skill/ability due to illness or age.

The problem can't be solved by just being rid of a pilot. The pilot will just continue the dangerous flying somewhere else. If there is sufficient probable cause regarding unsafe flying, the AMA needs to be informed and if needed the AMA should revoke membership. Don't just move the problem somewhere else.

I experienced a certain sadness when one of my flying buddies, he is just over 70 now, called me one evening and asked if I wanted all of his kit. When asked why, he replied, "I can't fly safely anymore because of bad eyesight and don't want to be a danger to others."

Safe flying!
Old 02-10-2005, 05:00 PM
submikester
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: blikseme300

I have been watching this thread for a while now. It is a very contentious issue when it comes to pilots abilities that are impaired either through lack of skill or -gasp- declining skill/ability due to illness or age.

The problem can't be solved by just being rid of a pilot. The pilot will just continue the dangerous flying somewhere else. If there is sufficient probable cause regarding unsafe flying, the AMA needs to be informed and if needed the AMA should revoke membership. Don't just move the problem somewhere else.

I experienced a certain sadness when one of my flying buddies, he is just over 70 now, called me one evening and asked if I wanted all of his kit. When asked why, he replied, "I can't fly safely anymore because of bad eyesight and don't want to be a danger to others."

Safe flying!
I agree, declining skill is certainly something that it worth going the extra mile to help someone via the use of a buddy box. We do that in our club, we've even bought aircraft for elderly fliers that we felt were more their speed considering their skill when we know they have been having trouble flying their p51s and such. We have a lot of elderly club members but most if not all of them listen to reason regarding safety and are quite pleased to have some help to keep them going. We even have a blind fellow who comes out on occasion and flies on a buddy box.

On the contrary side of things - if a fellow will not listen to reason then another path must be taken as the problem cannot be ignored and if it can't be helped then it must be removed.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:21 PM
crownvic

Who appointed you GOD