Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

what age to start with kids

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

what age to start with kids

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 05:07 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what age to start with kids

For all you Dad pilots out there, at what age do you start teaching your kids to fly and what do you start them out flying? I have seen several kids that are 8 or 9 years old flying giant scale planes or helis that are really amazing pilots. It seems to me that the kids have a lot of flying time under their belt. So at what age are they starting to fly?

My kids are still a little young, but my son loves RC planes and I cant wait to hook up the buddy box and teach him how to fly.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:23 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: what age to start with kids

Chip Hyde was flying pattern at 5.

My son started at 8.

Basically you can start them as soon as they are interested in flying without thinking "Crashing would be cool"
Old 02-14-2005, 05:30 PM
3D Nut
My Feedback: (1)

I started my son Emmanuel at the age of 2 years old, on the flight simulator. By the age of 3 years old I introduced Emmanuel to the Micro Flyerr by wattage, and he's doing real swell with it. Let's see what happens this coming year.

Spiro
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67572.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	229402   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60436.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	229403  
Old 02-14-2005, 05:33 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

You also have to make sure that THEY want to fly. I taught my boys at 7 and 9. Both of them soloed pretty easily, then they quit wanting to fly. They leared to fly because they thought it's what I wanted them to do, not because they wanted to. You can't force them to do it, let them decide for themselves.

But as far as teaching them to fly, kids today are a breeze to teach. It's because they're part of the playstation generation. They have the hand/eye coordination down cold. Both of my kids picked it up quicker than most adults do.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:39 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is my son giving a flight demo to his kindergarten class.

Name:	Ki18796.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	229406  
Old 02-14-2005, 05:53 PM
ifixairplanes
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I'm not a dad yet. But I am an uncle and a role model. My 4 yr old nephew came with me to the club field almost every weekend last summer. He was 3 then, but by the end of the summer he was helping me prep and fuel my planes. This spring/summer I plan on getting him on a buddy box. I don't expect him to solo this summer, he's still very young.
He knows I am going to teach him this year and is very excited. He's as big of an aviation fan as I am. There is nothing more rewarding than giving the gift of aviation to a child.

Sean

Name:	Da83275.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	229418  
Old 02-14-2005, 06:20 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I started my son at 6 and today at 13 he out fly's me. Oh well, I just gotta practice more. Good Luck, Dave
Old 02-14-2005, 07:05 PM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

My step grandson is 12 and will be teaching him this summer and he's looking forward to it, me??? Well I am a bit nervous as I have never taught a kid, well some of the adults I have taught I do wonder about it! He has that attention thingy that you hear about and I am hoping it will help him as it's not that bad. He's building some plastic models right thanks to gramps and soon hope to have him doing wood rubber band, gonna learn the same way that I did. If he solos this summer I have a built Senorita down stairs that has his name written all over it!
Old 02-14-2005, 07:26 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer
Basically you can start them as soon as they are interested in flying without thinking "Crashing would be cool"
I sure hope that this isnt right... if so, I shouldnt be flying. I hate to crash as much as anybody but some of my favorite RC videos are the crash videos.[X(][X(]
Old 02-14-2005, 08:38 PM
YNOT

My son had airplanes before he was born. He is now 8.

He was raised at the flying field, So this is a bad example.

He was playing with Firebirds by himself at 3. Playing with, not sure I would consider it flying. He did Firebirds till he was 5. He has been flying full function planes since then.

I will not force him to fly, he flys when he wants to and he doesn't always want to fly. Strange kid

Last year he turned onto nitro monster trucks and I can't get him back on airplanes. He loves the flying field and will help everyone out there, however has no desire to fly an airplane at this time. He has always had airplanes, cars are new to him. Little stinker finished 5th in a 15 minute A main the other night.

Last time he flew, a bunch of the guys at the field were giving him griefthat he never flys, so when I was instructing someone else, Zane walked up to me and said he wanted to fly. The student handed over the buddy box, I hit the switch, Zane made a couple of laps, did a few rolls and a loop and this WAY to low negitive snap roll with a NexStar, got away with it and said, "OK Dad, I'm done" and I took the plane back over. I was told that he was talkin smack all the way back to the pits. cockey lil $4iT

I wish he had the desire to excell with planes as he has now with cars. Maybe it should have been done the other way around, play with cars and intro planes to him at 7 or 8. LOL that never was gonna happen LOL

Kid has an interest, get them a plane. Do the Aerobird.

He seems to have more fun working on and building airplanes then anything else.

Airplane Zane

Name:	Sq47468.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	229505  
Old 02-14-2005, 10:04 PM
vicman

We do cars, paper planes, plastic planes, legos, rockets (I think they are his current fav). Whatever he wants to. He also likes to spend alot of time in the shop. I love it but his mom cringes when she realizes I let him use ALL the tools. I figure if he cuts himself at least I am there to help him out real quick.

Get a sim and a buddy box and let him punch some holes in the sky!
Old 02-15-2005, 12:20 AM
CP140

Depends on the kid. My 10 yo son thinks the airplanes are cool, but really isn't all that interested. My 8 yo daughter loves to come and help put airplanes together, stand and ask questions, hold tools/parts and has already asked when can she start flying and which airplane would she learn on. Just depends on the kid.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:28 AM
Roby

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think that a specific number can be applied to this question.
It is totally dependent on the child in question.

None of my 3 kids ever showed much interest in model aviation
at any age.

I do have a 2nd chance with my grandchildren, but none of them are
really interested enough at this point . Perhaps some day.

Age shouldn't be a factor,....... desire is the key.

Regards
Roby
Old 02-15-2005, 07:42 AM
vicman

Spending time is the key. We enjoy time in the shop also. The things we work on are just for fun sometimes. This helps to keep the creative juices boiling. He also has HIS space and tools to do/try things he thinks he would like.

The guy standing next to him working on his plane is a clubmate not me BTW. We belong to a great club that supports the little guys. Him and his buddy have about 10 suragate grandpas Sorry for the poor pic of him and his friend.

Name:	Zx72542.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	229655   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98680.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	229656   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34666.jpg
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	229657   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62455.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	229658  
Old 02-15-2005, 09:42 PM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

Mine made his first trip to the field "to meet everyone and see the airplanes" at two weeks. Now at one and 1/2, I literally have to pry him out of the shop and away from the planes. And, yes, he has one too - just not quite flying yet, other than on the simulator. He likes loops for some reason...

Mostly he's my "helper", whether I want help or not!
Old 02-16-2005, 01:32 AM
efergie72
My Feedback: (1)

My boy has been "playing" on the sim since he was 2yrs old. I never really got very serious until he wanted to start flying the planes from the "pit" as opposed to the "behind plane" view. That was last summer, so this winter I got him a trainer to teach him this summer. By the time good flying weather gets here he will be just turning five. As stated above, I don't have any plans on making him into the next Chip Hyde or Szabo Jr. If he wants to learn and fly so be it, if not, hey I came to the field to fly, I am not above letting him sit while I fly. No pressure is definately the ticket. My guess is that I am going to be sitting on the master end of a trainer cord most of the summer. I may have to start sneaking off to the field to get my own flying time in!
Old 02-16-2005, 12:46 PM
RedWing
My Feedback: (4)

My boys said they wanted to start flying.
The 9 yr old has been on the sticks but wants to start training and have his own plane.
What was my wife going to say...
So we went up to the local hobby shop and picked out a trainer.
Hanger 9 Alpha.
We are working on it together.
I think I am more excited about this plane than mine.
This will be way cool. I just hope they want to keep flying.
Can't wait for some warm weather.

Bill

Name:	Jh16777.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	230108  
Old 02-16-2005, 02:18 PM
Ione2fly

This entire post is what has made me proud to be a part of this great hobby. My sons are 17 & 18 now and are moving on to their careers. Cody my 17 year old is going into the U.S. Army as an M.P. and Josh my 18 year old wants to be in electronics. Both have flown models but have not shown much interest in the hobby, I'm hoping that will change for Josh as he realizes how much electronics are involved in model aviation. And well Cody just makes me proud. I will always support them in whatever endeavors they should choose. I am greatful to have been a part of this hobby as for many years it has helped me to understand and appreciate the challenges associated with fatherhood. My hat is off to you all!!!

Larry

R.F.A.
Old 02-19-2005, 11:19 PM
BULL-RCU
My Feedback: (15)

My sons never had much interest in flying... We used to race RC cars then theylost interest. Last yr my son who is now 15 cam to me and said he wanted to learn to fly... He soloed and now we have a blast together...

One of my friends from my club has been bring his son to the field since he was 2. I first saw him fly planes when I joined 2 yrs ago, then a little over a yr ago he came to the field and was flying on a buddy box Heli... with his dad... Now at 9 he is unbelivable with a heli.. one of the best I have seen... Post: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=2651461&key= ( Incredibe 9 yr old flyng a Heli... )They pic it up so quick... especially if they have a sim to play with.

Name:	Nl28615.jpg
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	231815  
Old 02-20-2005, 09:56 PM
campbec

Hi,

From my experience, (two grown boys who nolonger live at home) the most important thing is doing something together. It doesn't matter if it is sport, hobbies, working in the family business or whatever. The important thing is the so called "quality time" with your children.

My two were exposed to a huge variety of experiences with both mum and dad from very early on and whilst neither have continued with R/C, although the younger flys full scale, we had great times together doing different things from fishing to sailing, surfing and diving. Often when we are together a conversation will start with do you remember when we were fishing and such and such happened.

Whatever you are doing with the kids progress at their pace and do what is interresting to the child. I remember many fishing trips where collecting the live bait was more fun for the boys when they were tiny than the actual fishing.

Please enjoy as much of your time as possible with your kids as all to soon they will have left home and the opportunities are gone for ever.

Cheers,

Colin