Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Looking to make contact in N Carolina

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Looking to make contact in N Carolina

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 08:47 PM
1911fan
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to make contact in N Carolina

Hello all,
This may be an odd request but hear goes......
I am currently living in Pennsylvania, married with two kids and working as a Deputy Sheriff. I am looking to get away from the hustle-bustle of living an hour away from Philly. My Aunt has agreed to host us as guests March 24-30 (or there abouts) at her home in High Point, NC. I am exploring the option of a transfer to a law enforcement agency near Guilford County. I would like to find a residence within a half hour of greensboro or high point, so I can be close to my Aunt. The Wife and kids are onboard with a move should everything work out. What I am looking for is someone who I can email back and forth and learn about local clubs, flying fields, schools, and hobby shops etc.

I don't want to make the mistake of moving to an area that is coming under fire for noise like around here in PA. We have a lot of problems with development and we are losing fields and most open space used for hunting,fishing and camping(which are other things we enjoy). My family loves the outdoors and we are ready for a change. Around here real estate prices are through the roof and taxes are as well!! I figure its a good time to get out while I have equity in the home and get get more house for the dollar down there. The warmer winters appeal to us, plus I told the wife she could look into getting a horse and that goes a long way...lol

If anyone on here would like to chat a little and maybe even meet up and give me a tour of your field next month I would be greatful.

Please post anything here you know about the area or email me direct if you wish.

Thanks,
Larry

( I know the AMA site has contacts listed but I wanted to see what I draw up here first)
Old 02-17-2005, 09:50 PM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Looking to make contact in N Carolina

Well I can tell you that you will be within an hour or so of Quie-Quie/Warren Thomas/ and Gerry Neal--All TOC pilots and just a few hours away from Joe Nall. Many, many good pilots in the area you are talking about and Dick Pettit is close by in Durham. RCU member Pinhead is also in your area and in Mooresville there is (I am told) a nice hobby shop. Sorry I could not be of more help, but I am 3 1/2 hours away. Come on down-- I promise you will love it.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:05 PM
khodges

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't know how much I can help, 1911, I live about an hour and 15 minutes west of the W-S, High Point, G'boro area, a straight shot on I-40, but you're welcome at our field any time when you get down here (Bob Wilson Memorial Field, West Hickory AeroModelers, Hickory, NC). Look up our website at www.wham-rc.org for a map to the field. I hear there's a really good LHS in Archdale, which is a "suburb" of High Point, and I know there are some good fields down that way, too. North Carolina is a good place to live, and there's a lot of countryside within an hour of the Piedmont Triad (G'boro, W-S, H-P) in just about any direction you choose. I'd highly recommend my area as well, right in the foothills of the Blue Ridge, only 3 1/2 hrs. from the beach. I can't speak for job opportunities in law enforcement (I work in health care), but there's plenty of people who need locking up
Old 02-18-2005, 06:51 AM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

I am with AJF--2,,
Old 02-18-2005, 06:56 AM
1911fan

Jongurly,

I tried sending you 2 pirvate messeges and or emails since I have read your other posts and you seem like a great resource for info down there. Do you still get messages at the same address as your profile cause I haven't been able to connect with you offline?

thanks,

Larry
Old 02-18-2005, 03:29 PM
RON-10

Great hobby shop in Archdale, N.C. K/C Hobbies, another great hobby shop in King,N.C. King R/C.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:26 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is also a strong combat group in WS area. Traffic is a bit crowded on the interstate thru there due to alot of people moving in. There is also a new Dell Computer plant going in this year. The largest industry is still furniture but is slowly being replaced by pharmacutical and biotech companies. Once away from the 1-40 corridor there is a good bit of open space. The attitude of the people is diametrically opposite of those in Philly. I think you will like it here. I am also a member at WHAM and extend the same invitation to come fly with us on your next visit.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:42 PM
1911fan

I was talking with several people at work today who have families from the area of High Point and Ashville. I was warned that that area took a big hit when the furniture industry went south. They claim that a lot of people have lost jobs, homes go unsold, and the schools are suffering. It doesn't sound like idea conditions to be moving INTO......???

I know this is off post so if you want to PM me I would appreciate any feedback.

Are there any other towns that would be better suited to live, maybe up more towards Durham?
Old 02-18-2005, 08:31 PM
vicman

There are cases of jobs moving away all around the country. You mention Asheville, Asheville is one of the prettier cities in NC but it is a mountain community. Not a "big city" like you may be used to. I travel all around north and south Carolina, our state is experiencing growth via move ins beyond belief. Even I am a transplant from Michigan. The best way I can recomend is to contact a variety of chamber of commerces and get as much information regarding employment, and school systems as possible. Once you get your search narrowed down I may be of a little more help. Your current areas mentioned are like asking about Philly, the Pocanos, and southern New Jersey. With that illustration you may get an idea of how difficult your question is.
After living here 18 years I have no intention of going home.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:10 AM
AJF--2

Vicman is correct. Many, many retirees coming this way--especially to the eastern part of the state. What is happening is that a lot of people find that they can sell their home up north, and move here and buy a nicer home for about 1/2 the cost and live a quiter, slower lifestyle[8D]

If you want booming--then the Raleigh/Durham area is for you. They can't build roads fast enough.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:20 AM
AJF--2

1911fan-- sent you a PM
Old 02-19-2005, 09:24 AM
Bill Teller

I am in southern Va but this applies to NC & Va > You will find probably that salries for a given position are lower than in Pa but the lower home prices , real estate taxes heat bills + lower Federal tax bracket will put you far ahead financially. Have you contacted NC State Police? They seem to be good troops. I fly @ Henderson NC if you are in the area give a call.
Old 02-19-2005, 11:58 AM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Don't tell your wife that you're researching where to move based on flying conditions but I like your priorities.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:55 PM
vicman

I moved here based on the good looking women[X(]
Old 02-19-2005, 10:42 PM
1911fan

BasinBum,

If she gets a horse then she is much more forgiving about the whole deal...

She is the one who hates cold weather so she is ready to go ASAP since its 20 degrees and were expecting 5" of snow tomorrow. I just bought a snow blower last winter and put Skis on my cub two weeks ago......now what will I do with them?

Actually the funniest thing about this whole "moving" idea is that my 6 year old Son said he's not moving unless we get him a guinea pig. I guess a $5 pet wins him over and we are good to go!! Problem solved.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89389.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	231806  
Old 02-20-2005, 09:07 AM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

I'm just east of Raleigh and can tell you there is plenty of work around here. Two of my flying buddys are ex law-enforcement and one of there wifes has three horses.

Definitely an awesome place to live if your into RC as there are more sunny days then cloudy. That said July and August I stay in the AC inside and they become my building months. I hate the heat!!
Good luck with were ever you end up!
Old 03-03-2005, 10:17 PM
Rockman

Okay, it sounds like you have gotten alot of information, some good some not so good. I live in Greensboro and my kids go to the local schools. It is a great place to live and work. You may be able to find land in the Colfax area or toward Summerfield and Stokesdale. I am sure Guilford County is looking for deputy sheriff and the City of Greensboro advertise for police officers all the time.
The schools are great here. The people are friendly and it is a safe place to live.
There are flying fields toward the Archdale area which is about 20 minute drive 85 South on interstate. Take St Rd 311 exit and come back toward High Point and you are there. Everyone at K/C Hobby is great to work with and they really get to know their customers. If you are into cars you can also shop at Custom Hobbies in Greensboro. Charles, Johnny and Trico (sp?) are also great to get to know and work with on your RC stuff.
Come on down to Greensboro.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:47 AM
pfine
My Feedback: (4)

Larry,
I live in the Graham-Burlington area which is between Greenboro and Raliegh and about 45 minutes from High Point. We have a club B.A.R.K.S which is one of the oldest in NC.
We have two great flying fields with about 75 members. There are a lot of pattern flyers in the club, as well as combat, sport and giant scale. Great weather compared to PA. as I lived in the Pittsburgh area for a while and hated the weather. I have been flying with BARKS since 1986
but quite for a while as my job was taking too much of my flying time.
I retired two years ago as Captain of CID from the Alamance County Sheriffs Office and starting to fly again. Alamance Co. joins Guilford Co. on the eastern side.

Come on down. I think you would love this area, and probably want to stay.

go to www.barksrc.com for more info.

Paul
Old 03-25-2005, 08:48 PM
1911fan

Thanks for all the info and advice guys. My family went down to NC a couple weeks ago and we looked all over the area. We saw 12 houses in about two days and visited everywhere from Greensboro, King, Lexington, Winston-Salem, Mocksville,Pfafftown and a few other places. We found a house we fell in love with right off of I-40 and near route 801 in the town of Advance, Davie county.

It has about 14 acres, a pond and a nice barn for horses with 2.5 acres of pasture and a nice mix of woods and fields.

So now I'll be looking for a flying field in that general area.

Larry
Old 03-25-2005, 08:52 PM
vicman

Sounds like you just bought a field of your own!
Welcome to NC
Old 03-27-2005, 12:19 PM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

Isn't Mocksville were the Big IMAC contest is held,, I was thinking of going sometime,,,
Old 03-27-2005, 11:21 PM
PepsiMike

1911 -

Advance is very close the the Winston-Salem RC club field located north of Mocksville, NC.

From I-40 southbound, take exit 174 (Farmington Rd) about .2 mile to hwy 158, then south 2.0 miles to Sain Rd(only goes east), 1.8 miles on Sain Rd to Milling Rd, turn right and go .1 mile to a gravel driveway farm entrance, turn left, the road is a bit of a goat path, but keep going - the field (nice one too) is back there.

When traveling down Sain Rd, don't get going too fast, as it deadends into Milling Rd immediately after cresting a small hill (just high enough to hide the stop sign. You might relocate some airplanes in the back of your vehicle.

Winston hosts both IMAC and pattern contests each year. Grass field with covered areas and small club building that holds freq board and such.

I have flown at the field several times over the last few years at pattern contests. Always a good time.

I live just east of Charlotte in Union county and the development around here is going crazy. Both of the fields I fly at are up for sale by the property owner, and it's just a matter of when, not if we will lose the fields to housing. The Mocksville field seems alot more secure as it is much more rural and I don't think the farmer was planning on selling any time soon. Still, you might visit there and ask around. Don't want to scare you off - just make you aware that some parts of the state are growing quite rapidly.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:01 AM
1911fan

Thanks Mike for your help. I have tried to contact the winston-salem club via the contact listed on the AMA club database, but I haven't gotten a reply. I also went to their web site and tried to register, but when I try to log in I keep getting a message saying "approval pending."

I know what you mean about fields getting developed. When we did our search for places we had priorities to find a decent piece of land, but it must be close to good schools (which I hear the ones in Davie County are) and still be able close to the cities I may end up working for. I also didn't want to go so rural that my kids didn't have neighbors and other kids to play with. We did look at one property that had a 42 acres and a runway since the previous owner was a US air pilot and built his own kit plane, but it was way out there. My kids would have had a 45 minute bus ride and the house wasn't that nice.

I'll print your directions and the next time I am down I'll do a drive by of the club. We had lunch in mocksville and it is a neat little twon.

Larry
Old 03-28-2005, 06:31 PM
khodges

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: PepsiMike

1911 -

Advance is very close the the Winston-Salem RC club field located north of Mocksville, NC.

From I-40 southbound, take exit 174
I don't mean to pick nits, but I-40 is an east-west Interstate. I would assume you meant westbound? I live in Newton, about 80 miles west, and I'd like to find that field sometime, too.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:41 PM
PepsiMike

Yeah, yeah...it's an East - West hi-way....but if you look at a hi-way map you will notice that near Mocksville, it is more North - South. So to be precise I should have said "from I-40 Westbound".

A map to the field can be located and [link]http://nsrca.org[/link]. On the menu at left, click on districts...a sub menu will pull out, then click on district 2 (which includes N.C.). This will take you to the district 2 site which has its own menu with maps to contest sites located on it.

whew, hopefully, that will clear things up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.