Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Looking to make contact in N Carolina

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Looking to make contact in N Carolina

Old 03-29-2005, 09:25 PM
1911fan
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Looking to make contact in N Carolina

Thanks Mike for that Map.

That field is near my new home.

Does any one have any way to contact any member of the Winston Salem R/C club?

I have had no luck with theire web site and I would like to find out how to join.

I appreciate any help because I am coming up dry trying to reach someone.

THANKS!!!
Larry
Old 03-29-2005, 11:35 PM
PepsiMike

Sorry,

Don't have any numbers or e-mail addresses. I know that pattern flier Bill Mitchell was the club president last year, though they may have elected new officers by now. Don't have Bill's number either... Phil Vance has served as the contest directer for both their IMAC and pattern contests - he's a member - and you might dig up a number for him on an IMAC site. Phil and his wife also helped out at the IMAC Nats last year so Steve Kaluf (the AMA competition director) might have his number.

[email protected] is shown as Steve's e-mail in the latest AMA mag. That's a long way around the barn, but it's all I got.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:19 PM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

Just call or email AMA and ask for contact information to that club,,,, they will put you in contact with the head guys,,
Old 03-30-2005, 08:53 PM
khodges

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Larry-

I assume you've bought, or are going to buy the house in Advance? If so, Congrats! and welcome to N.C. As far as the W-S club goes, I'll ask Bliss Teague if he knows. He's the AMA District IV vice pres, and he's a member of our club here in Hickory. Go to our website, www.wham-rc.org and look at our upcoming events for this summer. Sure hope you can make it to one, or all. That goes for everyone else out there in driving range. Later, Ken
Old 03-30-2005, 09:22 PM
1911fan

Thanks Ken,

We did buy the house in Advance, NC and its located near Exit 180 off of I-40. W esigned the deal but its still pending home inspections.

As a matter of fact I am flying down the week of April 11-16 for a series of home inspections and job interviews. I looked at your club and its about an hour and ten minutes from Advance according to Mapquest.

When I am in town in two weeks I am staying at a hotel in Winston-Salem for 6 days and I'll have some spare time on my hands, especially after 3:00pm each day. Is anything goinng on that week at your club or anywhere else in the area?

We make settlement June 20th and I'd like to have a little head start on making "friends" in the area so I can get down to some flying. I've got 3 new planes built this winter and I probably won't get much flying time up here with all the packing and preparations to sell the house.

Larry

Old 03-31-2005, 04:55 PM
khodges

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi Larry- there's nothing formal going on that week, but if the weather is okay, there is usually somebody flying. If you'll e-mail me and give me your cell phone # (I can't seem to find it), I'll call you first of that week and we can get together and fly, if you want to make the drive. There is a map to our field from the interstate on the website, and we can also meet at an exit and go from there. Since DST starts this weekend, there will be plenty of daylight for evening flying. One of the guys in the club lives on Lake Hickory and we go there on Wednesday evenings sometimes to fly floatplanes, I don't have one yet, but am building a set for my Rascal. I'll be in touch.

BTW, I haven't heard from our AMA guy yet about contacts in W-S club.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:08 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would love to hook-up with you that week but I will going to the left coast that week.[:@]
Old 03-31-2005, 05:28 PM
1911fan

Thanks Ken and Vicman

I'll send you my cell phone Number.

I was just looking at airline tickets for a round trip and I can't seem to find one less than $500 from Philly to Greensboro. When I add in 6 days of a car rental and hotel, it just might be cheaper for me to drive down. I don't mind the drive as its only 7.5 hours, and that way I would be able to take a load of stuff down to the Storage locker in my Pick-up and put my Texan and Lazy bee up front with me.

My Sister let me borrow her Magellan Roadmate GPS unit last trip and it was amazing. It took us to all the different houses we looked at and gave perfect turn by turn directions.

I'm sure with that unit again I could find almost any field...

I like the idea of the float plane. I have a Hangar 9 J-3 cub that I flew on skis all winter and it would be great for floats.

This is a pic of the pond we have on our property. Its not very big, but its stocked with fish and I think I could fly a little electric plane on it with floats. The driveway and dock shows the size of the pond in comparison.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33135.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	251995  
Old 03-31-2005, 09:27 PM
PepsiMike

Well, Now I'm jealous. Sweet spread you got there. I live on a cul-de-sac and could spit on my next door neighbors house from my front door. When I finally get to retire ("when" being the operative word) I'd like to move to a much more rural location.

By the way......TARHEELS RULE !!!!!
Old 03-31-2005, 10:46 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, a tigermoth on floats would sure be cool there. You may want to open your search to Charlotte (CLT) or Raliegh (RDU). Both are reasonably close, I use all three including Greenville SC (GSC), not recomended for you. Also look at booking a package trip with expedia or yahoo travel, I save 100s[X(] doing it that way. Hope to see you soon! BTW you may notice Ken and I are in the same club.