Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

How many is TOO many?

Old 03-01-2005, 06:47 PM
iflircaircraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many is TOO many?

Yes, I admit it. I've had four....counting again.....yes..FOUR Corsairs.

The First, a TF gold edition I built with all the goodies. Flaps, pneumatic retracts,cockpit, three tone paint scheme and a 1.08 OS 2-stroker.
I was very nervous for the first flight so I had an experienced fellow club member take 'er up. He trimmed it out and let me fly it for about 2 minutes and we decided to bring it in to set the trims mechanically. Well, as he was on final and at about 10 feet of altitude in line with the runway it did a snap......nosed into the ground..totaled it. (Too slow with rudder/ elevator input)

Second Corsair: Can't remember the manufacturer, but was an ARF 40size with fixed gear, no flaps, cockpit,etc.
Flew it several times and last flight it went into a spin and crashed. Total#2 (right aileron servo seized)

Third Corsair: An H-9 60 Corsair. I did some mods like installing flaps, Century Jet retracts, internal rudder and elevator controls.
Using a RCV90SP. Take off was a bit shaky but got it up and trimmed. Went to throttle down for slow speed flight and the throttle wouldn't decrease due to the throttle stop screw coming out causing the throttle barrel to stick in full open position. Flew it until dead stick and was a bit off to the right of the runway and wing tip caught the weeds and cartwheeled demolishing the wing, breaking the rudder,cowl and firewall. (Pilot error)

Fourth Corsair: Another H-9. Went by the book on this one. no extras or modifications. Took off with a fellow club flier next to me.
It went up about 6 feet high, it did a 180 degree left turn toward us and so I ditched it. Breaking cowl, firewall pulled out, outer wing panel broke in two. (Not enough rudder correction coupled with torque from RCV?)

Whatever the cause, I've flown for a few years. Sport planes, taildraggres and trikes alike. Biplanes, A Cessna, Fun fliers, semi profile planes,etc.

I think I should take my losses on this one!

Anyone else have a !QUOT!jinx!QUOT! plane?

Old 03-01-2005, 09:03 PM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

Default RE: How many is TOO many?

Green planes - any plane that's green. Had 3 that all died a VERY unnatural death - battery pack died, receiver died, wing spar snapped.

Since then - touch wood - I have yet to lose a plane. This string of bad luck ended 6 years ago.

Safe flying!
Old 03-01-2005, 09:29 PM
Fletch124
My Feedback: (7)

there is a guy in our club that 20 airplanes(2 p-51's, funtana 40 and 90, a cessena 182 skylane) just to name a few. he has 5 i think Tx's and he has only flown 7 times. Yes he loves building.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:09 AM
last12know

I've been flying less than a year and have lost through dumb thumb (Avistar), battery (4 star 60), and what I have come to call the "Mysterious Malfunction" (Ace RC 4-40).

I would have said after the second Corsair that enough was enough and move on to something else, but that is a decision only you can make for yourself.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:59 AM
ClemenTang

5 Tx's + 20 planes but only flown 7 times? Tamiya, Bandai and Hasegawa are for him with great scale details.

Clement
Old 03-02-2005, 09:02 AM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had 3 Ultra Stick 60's in the last 4 years. First one was my 3rd plane and it was all my fault for burying it in a field. I was doing multiple rolls and came out inverted. My thumb said push forward (which was the right move), but my brain got in the way and I pulled back. It sure looked pretty exploding into pieces when it hit. The second one I had was built by someone else. I had just crashed the first and wanted to get another stick in the air right away. The LHS had one hanging from the ceiling and was only $10 more than the ARF and had replaced hardware and was built very well. Well at least that's what it looked like anyway. In my 3rd flight, I was doing a split 'S' and the right wing completely separated from the left wing and fuse. The wing did what all good loose wings do, it fluttered to the ground while the left wing and fuse proceded to plant balsa pieces over a small area. (Lawn Dart) After crash inspection revealed that on the right side of the wing joiner block there was hardly any epoxy. This caused the wing half to let go right along the joint where it was missing. I am on my third one now (I built it myself) and it is flying great. I guess I will get a 4th if I am ever in the need. I do like flying stick's and have a US Lite that I really get a kick out of flying....oh, and yes, I built that one myself too.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:48 AM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same experience with my GP Spacewalker

1st crash totally my fault newbe error of too slow and too low. She tip stalled and crunched the nose. Able to rebuild the firewall and fuse.

2nd crash totally my fault. So wanted to fly as my time at the field back then was limited I put the plane in the air on a really windy day with about a 10mph crosswind with heavy gusts. I thought I could handle it on my third attempt to land I was almost there about 3ft off the ground when a gust lifted the windward wing and the plane rose became inverted and going over the flightline toward a car. I chopped throttle and pulled the elevator so the plane nosed in in a safe place. fuse gone forward of the wing.

Major rebuild as I took all the pieces made templates and scratched a new forward fuse changed the wing incidence and put it back together. Plane few AWESOME with a Saito 120. On the 10th flight or so I was flying and lost radio control. The plane was at 1/2 throttle in a shallow turn and it kept on that heading into the ground. Total loss[:@]

Soooo Will I get another GP Spacewalker. No, I feel I was able to learn alot from that plane and developed skill sets for building and flying. If a used one came along and it was at a good price maybe.

Think about it. Fly other planes and come back to this one sometime in the future.

Pete
Old 03-02-2005, 12:10 PM
scottrc

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have had four Corsairs and finishing #5. My feeling is that you can never have enough Corsairs. Tempermental fliers that they are, they still look cool and are fun to fly.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:17 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: scottrc

I have had four Corsairs and finishing #5. My feeling is that you can never have enough Corsairs. Tempermental fliers that they are, they still look cool and are fun to fly.

True True
Old 03-02-2005, 04:26 PM
bobo_54501
My Feedback: (19)

A good friend of mine built a Corsair (( Cant rember what kit )) But she was big and Beatiful . Took him forever and a month to finish it . It won 1st prize at a couple RC swap meet - shows for scale War Bird . He decided one day to maiden it .Motor flamed out just after take off . Dropped like a Christmas ham right in to the Biggest Baddest oak tree you could find .Took awhile to pack her up into trash bags to bring her home .He never built another one .. Sure was pretty for the first 50 seconds of its 60 second flight .