Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Who wants a Sport Flying Forum ?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes, good idea.
65.49%
No, we don't need it.
20.35%
Indifferent, don't care either way.
14.16%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Who wants a Sport Flying Forum ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 11:54 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Who wants a Sport Flying Forum ?

We have a large number of airplane forums at RCU now, but the idea of
A "sport flying Forum" has come up again....we want some Member feedback
on the idea....here's why.

Since the new RCU launched all the "sport planes" ended up in the ARF/RTF
Forum. Just about every other kind of plane has it's own Forum, except for
the Super Sportsters, Cubs, Bi-planes, Sticks, Slow Pokes, Ryans, Four Stars,
Dragon Lady's, ect. As it turns out, the most popular planes don't really have
a home.

Let's face it, most planes today are ARF's. The point is....we didn't want to start
splitting up one of the most popular Forums with out getting some feedback first,
from our Members.

On the other hand, we don't want to make change just for change's sake. If
we just start moving threads around willy nilly....the way we think it should be,
some Members may get miffed.

So, lets hear what you the Members think....and don't be afraid to add some
hints or suggestions of your own in there....Marc always listens to what the
Members want....and this is no exception.

FBD.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:35 AM
roltech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Who wants a Sport Flying Forum ?

Good Idea I am just about completed an RV- 4 40 sports and had a heck of a time with some parts in building this kit, tried to get info from RC forums but nothing there,
just the odd nods here and there but not much info. This is my first kit if you all know what I mean. Help>>>>>
roltech
Old 03-07-2005, 09:21 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Flyboy Dave

Since the new RCU launched all the "sport planes" ended up in the ARF/RTF Forum.
The rest end up in the Kit Building Forum.

Good idea
Old 03-07-2005, 10:19 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Flyboy Dave

Since the new RCU launched all the "sport planes" ended up in the ARF/RTF
Forum. Just about every other kind of plane has it's own Forum, except for
the Super Sportsters, Cubs, Bi-planes, Sticks, Slow Pokes, Ryans, Four Stars,
Dragon Lady's, ect. As it turns out, the most popular planes don't really have
a home.

FBD.
Maybe I missed something, but aren't cubs and ryans scale planes?
Old 03-07-2005, 10:37 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not? It seems every other "specialty" category has its own forum.

I too think its a good idea.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:03 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

I like this idea better than the last proposal to split up Giant RC Aircraft.

However... I would prefer the new "Sport Flying" forum be about the style of flying, more so than the type of aircraft. Sport Flying can be done with Sporty Scale, and Sporty Aerobatic aircrafts too - not just Sportsters and 4*s. Fact is, the vast majority of us RCers are "Sunday Flyers" who don't need the most powerful, the lightest weight, and the most expensive of everything just to have some weekend stick time fun. It's about time we get a forum where there ain't no pissing contests of who makes the most powerful engine. It's also about time that a guy can ask for engine recommendations and not get "3D power" and "unlimited verticals" anywhere in the reply.

Then again, these forums being what they are, there is nothing to prevent those guys to come into the "Sport Flying" forum and proceed to tell me why I need a DA50 and 4400mAh LiPo packs on my 1/4 Cub.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:21 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

"Sport Planes" doesn't seem to have a firm definition. Are Cubs and Ryans sport planes? How about Caps and Edges? Does it matter if I only fly for sport, but I like airplanes that look like a full-scale one?

Forums like Scale, Warbirds, Pattern and 3D tend to be populated by modelers with very specific interests. The sport flyers among us have tended to congregate in the ARF forum because "ARF" today covers all kinds of aircraft and all kinds of flying. If you create a Sport Plane forum, would you be creating another specialized forum or a competing general one?

Maybe "Sport Flying" might be a better idea. I suspect that would quickly become one of your largest forums.

Jim
Old 03-07-2005, 12:25 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: Volfy

It's about time we get a forum where there ain't no pissing contests of who makes the most powerful engine. It's also about time that a guy can ask for engine recommendations and not get "3D power" and "unlimited verticals" anywhere in the reply.
Amen to that!! I couldn't agree more to this. I just finished build a GP Slow Poke 40 with an OS 52 4-stroke on. I flew it this last weekend and it's been a long time since I had that much fun flying an airplane. Just putting around the field at 1/2 throttle.

Put me in for a whole-hearted YES for a "Sport Flyer" Forum
Old 03-07-2005, 03:49 PM
Redback

I go with the "sport flying" vote, with the emphasis on the flying rather than the planes

There is no forum at the moment where those of us who fly for fun can go and BS about how our weekends flying went (except the crash forum[&o])

I'll be a visitor if it starts

Terry
Old 03-07-2005, 04:01 PM
DBCherry

I voted "Indifferent", but having seen the mention of changing the name of a new forum to "Sport Flying", it's definitely one that I'd add to my must visit list.
Dennis-
Old 03-07-2005, 04:06 PM
mvigod
Banned

What about "Sport flying & Aircraft"?
Old 03-07-2005, 05:09 PM
compute42
My Feedback: (15)

In my Opinion, creating more forums, just creates more confusion, and more forums to click on for the info your looking for... Just look at a popular plane like the cap-x or H-9 extra and edge. There are threads about the cap-x/h-9 stuff in 3-d, imac, arf, and Giant Scale.... and if you add sport planes, somone is bound to post it in there. Too many forums to sift through can be a problem.
My 0.02
Old 03-07-2005, 05:13 PM
jrf

Marc:

As you can see from the responses so far, "Sport Flying" and "Sport Planes" (Sport Aircraft) are not the same thing at all. Sport Flyers certainly fly Sport Aircraft, but they fly just about everything else as well. You have forums for Pattern pilots, 3D pilots, Combat pilots and others who specialize in one flying style or another. Why not a forum for those of us just fly for fun?

Jim
Old 03-07-2005, 05:55 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

How about "Sport Flyers", with the emphasis on the pilots' attitude, rather than the aircraft.

Afterall, I fly some of the same aircrafts as the extremely "passionate" hardcore 3Ders, who take RC wayyy more seriously than I do. As such, I find my opinions on what constitute good engine and radio gear choices almost always differ from theirs. My Patty Wagstaff cost less than $750 to complete. I have read that many folks here spend upwards of $1500 on theirs. Right, wrong or indifferent, but so far most of the RCU forums are overrun with folks advocating nothing but the best. I don't know where all these big spenders live, but most pilots I meet at local RC clubs are predominantly Sport Flyers.

What this means to me is that most sport flyers are not as vocal (or argumentative) as the hardcore types. Creating a forum specifically for SFers might encourage more of us to speak up.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:13 PM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My favorite planes (In no particular order or manufacturer) are:

Cub, Ultimate, Ultra Sport, Skybolt, Extra 300

4 are scale, 1 is sport, yet I consider myself a Sport Flier

I think limiting it to "Sport Airplanes" would defeat the purpose
Old 03-07-2005, 06:36 PM
BuzzBomber

Okay, here's the deal. I voted yes, BUT, I don't think we need a 'sport flying' forum exactly. What I feel we need is a 'general gas/glow aircraft' discussion forum like we have for electrics. It seems that a lot of stuff winds up either in the ARF/RTF, kit building, beginner, or scale forums that would be more appropriate in a 'general' forum.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:20 PM
fasterthanlife
My Feedback: (2)

I vote for a sport flying forum too.

I'm only 13 so I can't go out and buy a DA 50 to put on my Ultra Stick 60. Point is it can't 3d and I don't want it too I'm not saying I don't like 3D flying just that my US60 can't do it. I think, like everyone said that it should be Sport flying and not sport planes, because I can honestly say that if someone wanted to they could buy a 40% Carden Edge and move the CG forward, turn the rates down low and use a mild engine and it could be a sport flyer.

I vote for a Sport flying forum. I think it would be great.

-Cajunflyer-
Old 03-07-2005, 08:32 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

How about "R/C Airplanes & Sport Flying"?

If I remember correctly, the "R/C Airplanes" forum on the old RCO was, by far, the busiest; followed a distant second by the ARF Forum.

As usual, Volfy has cut to the core of the matter. Its not just the airplanes, but the mindset. The zealots among us can be admired for their zeal, but they can also be quite annoying. Unfortunately, they'll probably infest this new forum as well...

Anyway, I think most of us agree that a new forum for the plain-vanilla guys (and I'll wager that we outnumber all the other special-interest folks combined) would be a Good Thing. For those who complain of too many forums already, set up your My Forums and pass on what doesn't interest you.

Works like a champ...
Old 03-07-2005, 08:37 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm a lot like Minnflyer. Some of my favorite airplanes are an Ultra Sport 60, Dave Patrick Ultimate, GP Ultimate, Great Planes Slow Poke, Sig Something Extra, Sig Hog Bipe, Great Planes Cub, Balsa USA Thunderbug, to name a few. I have no desire to fly 3D, even though some of my planes will do it. I don't fly the most expensive motors, or the fanciest radios. I just like to fly. That's all. Period. I would love to see a sport flyer forum. Sport flying is an attitude and not a type of plane I think that by far the sport flyer is the biggest group of flyers out there , why not have a forum for us to get together in.

I cut this graphic for my Sig Hog Bipe, but it's appropriate here.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58292.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	239849  
Old 03-07-2005, 09:34 PM
LuckyArmpit

I'm like the rest of the posters in this thread. I have a couple of 3D planes, a H9 Twist and a U Can Do 46. But I don't do 3D with them.
Just like the way they look. I like doing the general aerobatics, loops and rolls, immelmans, flying upside down etc. And I find the most exhilarating thing about flying is setting up for a landing and watching your plane come in at low speed and touching down. And man the warbirds look great at doing that!!!!

Dave...
Old 03-08-2005, 08:45 PM
last12know

I think it is a great idea to have a forum for the guys who fly to just have fun. I know everyone does it for the fun of it but what I mean is for the guys who don't go the field to practice for their upcoming competition or race.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:57 PM
Bayou Talker
My Feedback: (1)

I agree with many of those above who think it should be a forum for people who FLY FOR FUN. It shouldn't be aircraft related at all since most of us have a variety of aircraft that we fly. The current "Fun Flying Planes and Profile Planes" forum appears to be mostly dedicated to 3D type flying and not much "Fun Flying" and there should be a place for both. I would love to see a forum for those of us who just like to get in the air without any particular flying style in mind and have a good time with friends.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:59 PM
jrf

Moderator please note:

I voted no when the question was "Should we have a Sport Plane forum?". Now that it has been changed to "Should we have a Sport Flying forum?" I would vote yes.

Jim
Old 03-10-2005, 09:46 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

jrf....

...thank you....no problem........Clearly, the original idea of another airplane
Forum has branched out into the "Sport Flying" Forum idea....

....I wish I would have thought of it myself.

However, feel free to discuss both ideas in this single thread....it looks positive
at this point on both counts. I am a "sport flyer" myself.... some in and out loops,
some rolls, Immelmans, a few hammer-heads, and just enough inverted to pop
a bead of sweat out on the old forehead....that's what I like....just boring holes
in the sky, and loving every minute of it.

Here's a special....[sm=thumbup.gif]...and a thank you to all that have voted in
the poll so far, and have taken the time to post their thoughts. Keep it coming.

FBD.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:29 AM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Sport "Flying" seems to make more sense. You want to set up your Extra for IMAC you go to the IMAC forum, same for 3D but if you just want to tool around you could go to Sport Flying and compare notes with like minded individuals. And then you'll have an Extra with limited vertical and that won't fly in a straight line. HAW!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.