Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Vintage X-Acto Set questions

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Vintage X-Acto Set questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2002, 02:47 AM
Eaglewatch

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vintage X-Acto Set questions

Perhaps some of you may recall these, and can assist:

Ten or twenty years ago (maybe even more), there was a couple of very large X-Acto sets on the market. I seem to remember one had a large plastic cover, like a display case, so that all the tools were visible. The other one folded, like an old chemistry set. These sets had a lot of tools, not just different blades.

I am trying to find out: (1) If anyone has either or both of these for sale, (2) what the Model Number(s) for these sets are, and (3) what tools and accessories were contained in each set?
I am looking to either find or assemble a couple of these as gifts for family members. If the sets are not available, perhaps someone has the original wooden cases, and/or a parts list (or photos), so that they could be reproduced. A recent e-mail to the current manufacturer (Hunt Mfg. Co) was helpful, but they had no info on these sets, since they bought the company from CBS in the early 1980's, and their archives do not list these sets.
Any info is greatly appreciated, & thanks for reading!

Regards,
Al
e-mail to: [email protected]
Old 09-18-2002, 10:30 AM
DSJBEAN
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vintage X-Acto Set questions

Closest thing I have seen to what you described is Micromark #50324 Master Knife set. I have their catalog it's on sale now for 29.95.

http://www.dxmarket.com/micromark/products/50324.html
Old 09-18-2002, 01:12 PM
rcalfred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-Acto

Give this site a try: www.x-actoblades.com/. Click on the X-Acto icon and then scroll down to "Special Sets". The don't have exactly (no pun intended) what you want but there are a number that come close. Good luck. Regards.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:56 AM
Eaglewatch

Default RE: X-Acto - FOUND

Hi All,

I was lucky enough to be contacted by a couple of people, each of which had old X-acto sets, and I purchased one of each type.
In both cases they were about 95% complete, and it was easy to track and replace the missing components. Both had seen my post here on RCU, so THANK YOU! to the staff of RCU for helping me find these items.

Regards,

Al Parry - "Eaglewatch"
[email protected]
Old 10-30-2003, 03:22 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm curious, the one with the clear plastic cover, did this cover slide in and out of the wooden case? Also, did it come with a planer and jointer?
Old 10-31-2003, 02:04 AM
Eaglewatch

Well, I am not too sure about there being a jointer in the kit, as I am not aware of there being such a tool supplied in an X-acto set.
There is a small block plane included, plus another tool also made of black plastic and metal, which is used with an X-acto knife to cut small strips of wood (could this be the jointer you refer to?). I believe they originally called it a balsa stripper. The case has a clear cover, which can be removed by sliding it either left or right. The cover rests between two grooves along the cabinet edges, and is somewhat flexible. The set I purchased had some additional tools which I believe were not originally packed with the set. I cannot verify this 100%, as I did not receive the original packing list. But according to the inside of the case (which has outlines of the tools printed on it), a few things were added later by the previous owner.

Regards,

Al Parry "Eaglewatch"
[email protected]
Old 10-31-2003, 09:23 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks, that sounds like the kit I have, but I wasn't sure the balsa stripper was part of the kit. Your right, I referred the balsa stripper as a jointer. Mine was bought by my father in 1964.
Old 10-31-2003, 11:02 AM
Eaglewatch

I do think that X-acto should consider making some more of these deluxe sets, since many of today's modelers will equip their shops with a lot of specialty tools. In addition, the older wooden cases were nicely crafted, and (to me) were symbols of pride by the tool manufacturer. I know I am always on the lookout for a useful miniature tool to build aircraft models. Good tools are a bit expensive but with tools "you get what you pay for" usually applies.

Regards,

Al Parry "Eaglewatch"
[email protected]