Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Bad Batch of Top Flite Spray Paint-"Confirmed"

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Bad Batch of Top Flite Spray Paint-"Confirmed"

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 10:27 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bad Batch of Top Flite Spray Paint-"Confirmed"

What do you guys think of this? I have been using Top Flite paint for years with no problems at all for painting cowls, wheel pants and such. Not one problem ever. Today I bought a can of Light Purple (Topr7224). I shook the heckout of it and went to use it. It did not spray out as normal but more like a splat with wads of balls all over. I go to another store closer to me and get another can. Exact same thing!. I go to third store and the same thing again- all in one day. Never seen anything like it.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:37 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Bad Batch of Top Flite Spray Paint

Snoop,
Sounds like a bad lot of paint. I had the problem with their clear coat. Couldn't get a good cover with the first can, bought second can from a different store and it was no good, third can from the first store was just fine. I've heard from other people at my flying field and here on RCU that they've seen stuff like this before too. I just shrug and say "what can you do"? Short of going to automotive shop and custom matching paint I don't know what to do.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:44 PM
Cyclic Hardover

I exhanged the first two and will wait for the "new" shipment to come in next week and try again. Three different stores with the same color, something is wrong.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:44 AM
trioval00
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

there is a little trick i use to help with the painting and i just might work here in this situation.

take a pot or a bowl, take hot water from the faucet, fill the bowl and place the can of paint in it. ( not boiling water). this warms the paint, it goes on easier, dries quicker and has a better finish. i just used the same paint on my jet and the finish is like glass.

mark
Old 03-16-2005, 07:56 AM
scottrc

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have never had really good results from laquer that comes in spray cans. It can be affected by heat, cold, and age. All three of these cannot be controlled in the environments that the spray cans are subjected to. I just tried a can of TF Insignia Blue and really wasn't impressed. It is easier for me to stick with getting pints made at the autostore and using the airbrush.

Mark's suggestion is a good one. Also, take the caps off and soak then in some thinner before using them. Paint residue and other debris may get caught in the passage and not provide a good draw.

Scott
Old 03-16-2005, 10:04 AM
Cyclic Hardover

Well I found the problem after yelling at Tower and Hobby Services. The three stores here apparently all have cans on the shelves which have been discontinued for "2 YEARS!" If I had to guess, Greatplanes or whoever back their distributes this stuff have been depleting their shelves and filling up the hobby stores with old product

There is one way to check the paint before you buy it and that is to check the Tower catalog before you buy it locally. Towers numbers are current. If the number in the catalog does not match the one in the store, don't buy it!. They also said there are new formulas for which the Tower numbers are current.

Thanks for the original tips but i , thnk I'll wait for the new can to arrive.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:10 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Bad Batch of Top Flite Spray Paint-"Confirmed"

Bummer. It would be bigger news to me if there was some that actually worked. I have never had good luck with it. Got three cans brand new in the closet yet that will go with me the next time I take the 45 out to shoot. I won't use the stuff any more. Never had good results with it.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:30 AM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bad Batch of Top Flite Spray Paint-"Confirmed"

That paint is the worst quality, overpriced crap I have ever used. And it rarely matches. The few times I have used it, it ran, cracked when dry, and overall was horrible to work with. I am not one bit surprised actually.

I have switched to Ultracote and their paint is of excellent quality, matches the covering nearly perfectly, is gasoline and glow fuel resistant and dries to a very high gloss.

I also use automotive paints and eurethanes if Iam doing a warbird - anything but that top-flite junk!

DP