Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

I should have stayed home

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 10:05 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I should have stayed home

Boy, the ol head was diving up the "but-tocks" this morning. I went out to the field for the purpose of breaking in and tuning in my new Voodoo. Its a 65inch wing Dago Red style plane that i have a ST 2300 up front with a JettStream Tuned muffler. I didn't put much on the charger last night since it was a last minute decision this morning.

So I try and start it up. It was backfiring through the carb. Never seen this before. I feel each kabang against my face. i thought it might be from the pipe. I fooled with the whole thing for a 1/2 hour. Then notice fuel and oil around the head/cylinder wall area. So I remove the head but notice a couple screws weren't that tight. So I took it off , cleaned it up and installed it back on real tight and it starts right up.This is good.

I am running it rich for a while and fool around with it. 17oz tank went fast. Refueled and did it again. then my canopy blew off. I start to dial it in. There was alot going on and I guess the time was going by faster than i thought. I was adjusting the low end all over the place when I realize I was out of fuel again.

Then it would'nt start. I looked at the meter on the igniter and it showed I blew a plug. I took it out and tossed it, Checked another plug before installing it and that was bad. Then realizing the igniter was dead and I just tossed a good plug. Then the gasket blew on the muffler. It was the cheesy one anyways.

I had bought gasket material to make new ones that are more durable but didn't get around to it until this afternoon. So that made a mess. It just never got better until it was over. I was halfway content that i got it running at least.

I am using a 14/8 Apc to start with on the thing. Its funny that in all these years, I go out with my act together and it seems like I made up for the bad times all in one morning.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:13 PM
necorc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I should have stayed home

If you still have 10 fingers and 10 toes then it wasn't all that bad was it? Didn't you just get like 3' of snow a couple of days ago?
Old 03-17-2005, 11:05 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

That's why I moved to turbines Add fuel, move transmitter stick to high position and wait. 30 seconds later, move throttle to low, taxi out and go fly

Sorry you had such a lousy morning, Karma says the rest of the year will go good for you [8D]
Old 03-18-2005, 08:37 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Some mornings it pays just to stay in bed.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:16 AM
Cyclic Hardover

Well I installed mounting blocks on the inside to give the canopy screws something to anchor into. Made a new gasket for the muffler . So I am going into training with a sparing partner and gonna come out swingin babeeee!!
Old 03-18-2005, 10:32 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

LOL, it's nice to know I'm not the only one who has days like that!
Old 03-18-2005, 11:20 AM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

I had a day like that with glow stuff once too. Did a lot of the same things you did.. and to top it all off, I left frustrated with my plane that never did run right and a dead starter battery.. somehow in the tyrade I forgot to drain the tank. That took care of itself on my brand new truck interior .. the tank drained completely and stained the crap out of the back seat leather and the carpet.

Live and learn.

It wasn't a week later everything was sold off and I was flying gas giants. I have never had more fun in this hobby since swithcing to gas. What a pleasure over the constant tinkering and the mess of glow. 2-3 flips and fly!!

DP

Old 03-20-2005, 01:09 PM
Cyclic Hardover

I redeemed myself this morning. Haul that thing back out , bit the prop like a dog on the ear to command respect and dialed the sucker in.
Totally different sound than I am use to with the Jett pipe on a 2300. Got the both ends running like a swiss watch.

So the next step is to get the cowl finished and get it flying. I have that 14/8 on it right now but the formulas are showing a 13/13 or 14/14 for my best , so I need to get those ordered.
Old 03-20-2005, 02:10 PM
rclooney

move to a diesel. just flick the prop and go. well, tuning the compression for each run makes extra work, but a diesel with an inflight charger means that you will have no probs with batteries except the tx.
Old 03-20-2005, 02:49 PM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: rclooney
a diesel with an inflight charger means that you will have no probs with batteries except the tx.
plus a lot of stink and ugly black goo to clean up...

dave
Old 03-20-2005, 03:30 PM
rclooney

thats at the end of the day though, dont make the bit bofore it all stressy
Old 03-23-2005, 01:20 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Regarding diesel R/C engines. Up until I saw one of the diesel r/c engines run, I had never seen an engine exhaust more fluid than had been put into the tank. Watching that diesel, it almost seemed that one cup of oil landed on the ground for every 1/4 cup of fuel that was put into the tank... Absolutely amazing. Started me to thinking that the guy just might need a haz/mat permit.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:54 AM
H. Wayne S
My Feedback: (18)

Now now, youall are just not thinking right about the diesel. I had one, mounted it on an engine stand, ran a copper tube from the exhaust, to a 55 gallon barrell. ran the engine. Purchased 1 gallon of diesel fuel, produced one 55 gallon barrell of fuel oil. Had to quit when I was denied a EPA permit. Could not get the fumes clean enough to pass the requirements.