Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Why is there always one?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 09:11 AM
Mike Bogh
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why is there always one?

Sounds like a guy in our club, too.
Wait, I heard he's in your club, too.
Don't terminate his membership, then we'll be stuck with him full time...
LAst year he got elected into our club as an officer...he was good at getting people to work, but quit when he couldn't get his way over something he wanted.
Just quit.
Nawww, you keep him, we had him...[:@]
ORIGINAL: GrnBrt

Why oh why is there always that one member of a club that seems to take club activities way to serious? Let me explain where I am coming from. We have started a new flying field here and it is really a superb site and everybody seems to be working great together for the betterment of the club except this one idiot![:@]
Here's what has happened in a very condensed version as it would be a book if I wrote everything that has happened.
He has this grandiose image of himself after all he was a manager for 30 years before he retired and he will tell you at the drop of a hat how good he was. We decided to make the runway (grass) 60'X400 which is plenty but he wanted it 80' wide so we did the democratic thing and voted and he was voted down. He has done everythig to get it changed to the point of even getting a new member who has a tiller and tractor to almost widen it behind the boards back but we caught him. He has jumped on members for no reason, have had members walk out of meetings because of his constant belly aching because something was decided on by the board and members but it wasn't the way he wanted it. He seems to think that the club exists only for him and because he's so great we should just sit back and take his advice, trouble is he's a newbie to boot! We will be having our monthly meeting Monday night and all the complaints we have against him will be brought out to him as he has been warned twice in private now about his disruptive behavior and following the by-laws to the letter we have a termination letter written up and signed by the board to terminate his membership if it comes to that. I just can't believe how utterly childish and bull headed this guy is and have to wonder why there always has to be one in the crowd. I listed only one complaint here but there are 9 more on the list. There I have vented and now I am kicking the soap box off the stage! [:@][:@][:@][:@]

Edited out persons name as I didn't want it revealed yet.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:23 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Boy Art! I feel your pain. We too are putting in a new runway and have one member, one of the originals, that feels he should have final say in everything. He went so far as to change the grade of the runway at the last minute, and he isn't even on the board. He pokes his nose in, makes a mess and then runs. Its been a very tough 3 years. I was elected pres this year and I won't coddle him. I basically told the club everyone has the same vote, and no 1 member is going to run it any more. He kinda got ticked and quit. Things are running very smoothly now and the new runway material is on order and going down within a couple weeks. Instead of assessing members extra cost for it, we used the funds in the club account and I got things donated to fill the rest. No cost outlay. Every member but the one I mentioned loved the idea so we went ahead with it. So far so good.

The other club has a member just like him, but that one hasn't quit. He is a huge pain. I called him on it at the last meeting cause I am too tired of dealing with that. He asked me to help him out and cover him on some issues this winter and then stabbed me in the back for it. Not going to happen again and at least the club understands what happened now. People like that are sure a pain. Looks like the new runway will be welcomed by all but one. Its going to be nice.

Good luck with your project.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:09 PM
RedWing
My Feedback: (4)

Sounds like a guy in our club. Well he was in our club. Yippee!!!
Sorry for your troubles[:@], our whole club can relate.

Bill
Old 03-23-2005, 01:25 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: GrnBrt

Boy you have him pegged to a 'T'!!!!!! He organized a work party and got everyone out to the field and while everyone was working he went and sat down. When he was questioned as to why he was sitting down he said that he manages and others do the work, darn he almost died that day![:@]

Man am I glad I never had to work for a guy like that. I'de probably still have a restraining order. I was "high up" in a fortune 50 company but one of the few execs that would NEVER delegate work to others I would not do myself. When the heat was on, I was right there in the middle of it. You don't do it your employees lose respect for you real fast. I got in many fights with sr managers and my bosses in my young career, some of them did the type of condescending gestures this clown did and I usually always took THEIR position from them in a few months after they got fired or demoted.

Theory X crack-the-whip managment is DEAD. Do it now and you will not get far with anyone employees, club members or even friends. Brings back fond memories of the "which body part is in control" joke... !!!

As Barney would say "Nip it in the BUD"
DP
Old 03-23-2005, 07:15 PM
Joe Ortiz
My Feedback: (75)

[quote]ORIGINAL: jettstarblue

Art,

Youse guys could always sneak up on him, throw a burlap bag over his head and give him a good old fashioned beatin'!

Art should be familiar with the term "Blanket Party"[X(], although not acceptable by todays standards, but when I was in the Army, it sure made the so called Managers and wannabe Managers into team players, dang, where's my ducted tape!![>:]
Joe[8D]
Old 03-23-2005, 07:27 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: Joe Ortiz

ORIGINAL: jettstarblue

Art,

Youse guys could always sneak up on him, throw a burlap bag over his head and give him a good old fashioned beatin'!

Art should be familiar with the term "Blanket Party"[X(], although not acceptable by todays standards, but when I was in the Army, it sure made the so called Managers and wannabe Managers into team players, dang, where's my ducted tape!![>:]
Joe[8D]
And if the blanket party didn't work you could always take em in the latrine and bounce their head off the wall a few times. But I have to admit, that usually worked better for those know-it-all hardheads that we under you!!!