Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Direction of flight ... clockwise or anticlockwise??

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Direction of flight ... clockwise or anticlockwise??

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2002, 03:22 AM
bobi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Direction of flight ... clockwise or anticlockwise??

Which direction of flight should one adopt ?
clockwise -- or ----- anticlockwise ?

At our club it is a norm to fly in the anticlockwise direction ie. making left turns .

I began practising clockwise flying at one odd corner of the sky away from the other modelers for sometime already. And it has paid off.

The normal wind direction is from right to left with the modeller facing the runway . So flying anticlockwise was OK until yesterday the winds changed direction. Wind is now blowing left to right so after take off have to go for right turns and make circles flying right . To land I must come with a right turn to final. I nailed the landings very well . I am very pleased with myself. I see other modellers landing with left turns ( means they have to turn around and follow the model to land with heading into the wind ).

It is important for all modellers to be able to fly in both directions. It improves the skill level and gives you more confidence especially when the winds change direction. And will pay off in the long run too.

bobi
Old 09-22-2002, 07:59 AM
Steve Lewin

At our club it is the norm to fly either way depending on the wind direction. Indeed I'm having trouble imagining how you can do anything else.

If you are taking off/landing left to right you're flying an anti-clockwise circuit, if right to left it's a clockwise circuit. Surely you always turn away from yourself after takeoff and that defines the circuit direction. What am I missing ?

Steve
Old 09-22-2002, 11:16 AM
Ed Smith

I was taught to fly by a Pylon Racer.

What are you saying, an airplane will actualy turn right? I do not think so.

Ed S
Old 09-22-2002, 11:29 AM
Gdolboy3

At our club field the winds change on an hourly basis. A cross wind for a little while, and then take-off from left to right. Then the winds change and your landing right to left. Keeps everyone on their toes. I don't think any of us have a problem when it comes to having to take off and land in different directions on a dialy basis. I think we all get better at one direction over another. Not to say that you can't grease in a landing one way and not another, but you're more comfortable with one direction over another. Kinda like being right handed or left handed.
Old 09-22-2002, 12:19 PM
pinball-RCU

I think that clubs that are strict about "the pattern" fly either way depending on the wind. Everybody agrees which way the wind is blowing, then takes off into the wing, and turns away from the pilots on the first turn.

On the other hand, the three clubs I fly at rarely worry about "the pattern". Occassionally, you'll find somebody who insists on it, so you bring your plane down until they are done. Otherwise, either you're the only plane in the air, and you do what you want, or the guys just somehow stay out of each other's way. Maybe one guy flies high while the other is doing low passes. The key is that pilots need to talk to each other, both before they fly, and while they're flying to announce landings, "on the field!", etc.
Old 09-23-2002, 12:49 AM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

We fly out patterns so passes over the field are into the wind