Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Torrey Pines R/C Gliderport

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Torrey Pines R/C Gliderport

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2002, 05:46 AM
Birddog-RCU
My Feedback: (62)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torrey Pines R/C Gliderport

I got an email from the AMA last week concerning the Torrey Pines flying field in Southern California. I took some time and contacted a few local officials down there and here is a reply from one of them.

Thank you for your e-mail regarding the Torrey Pines Gliderport.

I share your concern about the suspension of radio controlled flight operations and support resumption of RC operations as soon as possible. I want to explain what led to the suspension and tell you of efforts that are underway to get RC flyers back in the air.

When I first found out about this, I went straight to the Real Estate Assets Department, which oversees the lease on the Torrey Pines Gliderport. They have assured me that the suspension of radio control air operations is temporary and that they are working with the lessee to resolve the situation. Staff informs me that the suspension was caused when the insurance carrier for the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) notified the City that it had suspended coverage for the group. Proper insurance coverage is a condition of operation at the Gliderport for each of the user groups.

On the positive side, The Real Estate Assets department, AMA, and David Jebb, the Torrey Pines Gliderport flight director, are working diligently with each other and the insurance carrier to reinstate coverage. At that time, radio control operations can resume. I am confident they will be successful.

Michelle Blumen of my staff is closely monitoring the progress of the negotiations. You may contact her directly at [email protected]. In the Real Estate Assets Department, Tim Rothans is overseeing the negotiations between the user groups and their insurance carriers. He can be reached at [email protected]

Thank you for your patience.