Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Need Suggestions for "Fun-Fly" events

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Need Suggestions for "Fun-Fly" events

Old 04-20-2005, 05:59 AM
C Earnest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Suggestions for "Fun-Fly" events

Hi all RCU'ers,

I have been tasked to come up with suggestions for some fun-fly events. What is/are your one or two favorites? Also, where might I find a resource/s for the same? Thanks in advance to all for your input. As always, time is of the essence. In this case, late planning on someone else's part DOES constitute an emergency on my part! :-)

Charles Earnest, N7ATY
Old 04-20-2005, 07:16 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Need Suggestions for "Fun-Fly" events

I always enjoy the limbo and the bomb drop. Nothing better than a stray water balloon falling from the sky. Good Luck, Dave
Old 04-20-2005, 07:31 AM
*Crash*Johnson*
My Feedback: (7)

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/searchpro.asp?phrase=fun+fly&advancedMatch=on&author=&forumid=ALL&topicreply=combined&message=subject&timeframe=%3E&timefilter=0&language=single&top=500&minRank=0&sortMethod=d&submitbutton=+OK+]Fun Fly Links[/link]

There are a whole bunch of threads on RCU on Fun Fly's. Hope the link works.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:34 AM
Live Wire

The Aircraft carrier is fun. Mounting hooks on an old plane and setting up run way like a carrier deck. Great carnage[]
The main thing is to keep it fun and have some thing for every one[&o] never let it get boaring where people get wild and do thier own thing
Old 04-20-2005, 09:27 AM
Crashem

Balloon burst send up a helium balloon and "dogfight" it
Old 04-20-2005, 09:44 AM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know what you call it, but we have one where you start with your plane on the runway and the prop off. We set the prop on a chair about 50 ft from the runway. At "go", the person grabs his prop from the chair, runs out to the plane, installs the prop, starts the plane and takes off. Then he must do 1 loop, and return and land, bring the plane to a stop, take the prop off, and run back and put the prop on the chair. throwing it down on the chair from a few feet away is acceptable as long as it hits the seat of the chair. This is all timed from the word "go." It is hysterical to watch and a blast to do.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:10 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

My old standby is "Touch 'n Go Poker".

Lay out 5 equal spaces on the runway. The first is 10, second Jack, third Queen, then King and Ace.
Pilots get five touch and goes to make the best hand. You get the "card" from the space where the plane actually first touches the ground.

It's harder than you might think, so if you have a few newer pilots you can allow go arounds and re-starts. And of course, the smaller the spaces the harder it is.
Dennis-
Old 04-20-2005, 06:54 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My favorite is the triple Limbo......once under, then over, then under again.....wow what excitement!

Jerry[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 04-20-2005, 06:58 PM
Deadeye

I copied this and saved it my hard drive a year or more ago. Credits go to Freddie Rice.

There are some great ideas here, copied and pasted:

Fun Fly Events
BALLOON BUST 2
Tie a thirty foot length of toilet paper to a helium party balloon and release it. Give a contestant two minutes to cut as many pieces as possible. Harder than it looks...
Graham Hicks
"OH, CRAP!"
This one has been done in many different ways but here's a little variation. We call it "Oh, Crap!" With the command "Go!" and on the clock, the contestant rolls a pair of dice once to get his "number." He/she then must fire up the model, taxi fifty feet, take off, do one loop and one roll, land, taxi back, shut down and then roll the dice again until his number comes up. The crap shooting "levels the field" a bit, so that the less proficient flyers have a chanceagainst the hot doggers.
Graham Hicks
LIMBO
Use a thirty foot crepe paper ribbon strung between two bamboo fishing poles...you know the rest. Double points for doing it inverted. (no points for hitting the poles...bf)
Graham Hicks
BLACKJACK
Lay out (12) 20' squares on the runway in a 2 X 6 matrix lenghtwise. Number the squares on the right side 0, 2, 4, 6, 8, & 10; the ones on the left 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, & 0. In a series of landings, the pilot attempts to come as close to 21 as possible, based on the wheelstrike point of each landing. Pilot may elect to stop with a score of LESS than 21, but going over 21 disqualifies him.
Vince Gutschalk
SUDDEN DEATH
Pilot takes off and circles in pattern until an unknown time period passes. Time starts at an audible signal, and pilot must land as soon as possible. Landing must be on runway. Low time wins.
Vince Gutschalk
TWO MINUTE TOUCH 'N' GO
Time starts at takeoff. Pilot performs as many touch and go maneuvers as possible in two minutes.
Vince Gutschalk
SHORTEST TAKEOFF
Pilot tries to takeoff in the shortest possible distance.
Vince Gutschalk
HANDS OFF aka "COJONES OF STEEL"
Pilot has one minute from takeoff to trim for "hands-free" flight. At the end to the first minute, the TX is laid on a table. Longest E.T. before having to grab TX wins.
Vince Gutschalk
LOOPER
Most loops in one minute. Timed from takeoff.
Vince Gutschalk
BEADS ON A STRING
Most rolls in one straight pass.
Vince Gutschalk
BLIND FLIGHT
Time starts at takeoff; ends at engine stop. Pilot ESTIMATES elapse of one minute. Closest time to actual wins. Requires two timers.
Vince Gutschalk
CLIMB 'N' GLIDE
Pilot is given 30 seconds after takeoff to climb high as possible. At 30 seconds, the engine is stopped. Throttle is advanced to prove dead engine. Landing must be on runway. High time wins.
Vince Gutschalk
SCROOGE(and LOOPING SCROOGE)
Pilot fuels EMPTY tank from 15cc syringe. Longest time in air wins. (Add 10 seconds to time for each loop performed.)
Vince Gutschalk
MUSICAL AIRPLANES
Fill the sky with old airplanes. A horn is blown, and all aircraft must land, Last plane down is eliminated. Continue till all but one plane is eliminated. (these Coloradans know how to "trim the fleet"...bf)
Vince Gutschalk
LIMBO
Planes fly under crepe paper streamer, cuts disqualify. Streamer is lowered 1' after each round until only one plane qualifies.
Vince Gutschalk
SPINDOWN
Pilot has one minute from takeoff to climb to altitude and begin to spin. Must land on runway. Greatest number of spins wins.
Vince Gutschalk
FAST AND SLOW
Plane flies a straight course twice. First pass is for all out speed. (Diving plane is allowed.) Second pass is flown slowly as possible, maintaining reasonable altitude and course. Largest difference in the two times wins.
Vince Gutschalk
LEMANS START
Pilots line up across runway from planes. At signal pilots race to planes, start up, take off and fly a specified number of laps. (The foot race may be made more interesting by having the pilots carry an egg in a spoon, or some other idiocy...)
Vince Gutschalk
GEORGIA AIR SHOW
Time begins. Pilot starts engine, eats a soda cracker, whistles audibly, then takes off and begins looping aircraft. He must loop till he has eaten another cracker and whistled audibly again, then lands. Low time wins.
Vince Gutschalk
TAXI RACE
Aircraft race a specified number of laps on ground. Low time wins...
Vince gutschalk
FAITHFUL INDIAN GUIDE
Pilot taxis around obstacle course while blindfolded, obeying commands from caller. Low time wins....
Vince Gutschalk
JUICY LOOP
A styro cup is attached to the top of the plane at the CG (Important!!! CHECK the CG). A measured amount of water is placed in the cup. Pilot takes off, flies a loop, lands... Most amount of water remaining wins... Can also be done with 25 beans instead of liquid...
Vince Gutschalk
DICE ROLL
Six maneuvers are chosen & numbered 1 - 6. The pilot rolls one die to choose a maneuver, the rolls it again to choose the number of times the maneuver must be flown. Time begins at first roll & stops upon touchdown.
Vince Gutschalk
WILLIAM TELL
An arrow is affixed to the wing of the plane. A large balloon is placed on the runway. At the "GO" command, the pilot begins to taxi and attempts to break the balloon with the arrow. Low time wins. Disqualified if prop breaks balloon...
Vince Gutschalk
RENO SHUFFLE
First you roll a die as many times as you wish. Take off and perform a number of loops equal to the last number rolled. Land. Now, roll the last number rolled THE SAME NUMBER OF TIMES YOU FIRST ROLLED THE DIE!! Sneaky, huh?? Low time wins....
Vince Gutschalk
SLALOM
Place 5 balloons on the runway. Taxi thru them, weaving in & out. Taxi back the same way. Break a balloon and get a five second penalty. Low time wins.
Vince Gutschalk
ETA!
Draw times from a hat. Flyer removes watch and takes off. Estimate time and land... Closest to actual time drawn wins.
Vince Gutschalk
KAMAKAZI BUST!
Pilot takes off and calls for helium balloon to be released from runway center, and also starting stopwatch. Break the balloon before it reaches the stratosphere.... Low time wins.
Vince Gutschalk
DEAD-STICK LANDING
Mark a spot on the runway. Pilot takes off, gains altitude and kills engine... Land and roll to the spot. Closest to target wins.
Vince Gutschalk
YOUR GUESS
Spike a series of paper or plastic plates to the field upside down with 16 or 20 penny nails. Have a number written on the bottom of each plate. Give each flyer three attempts at landing on a plate, touch and goes count. To make the event easier, a short distance could be added from center of the plate so that a touchdown within that distance would count as a hit. Each flyer tries for one hit. The numbers on the plates are duplicated and put into a hat. At the end of the flying, a number is drawn from the hat and the one who hit that plate wins. Of course, in the case of two flyers choosing the same plate and winning to boot, you can have a fly-off.
David Sult (CIA - Central Iowa Aeromodelers)
AERIAL GOLF
A variation of the "Egg Drop", used by the Dallas Skyblazers, where they use the styro cups to hold the golf balls, but put a tin can in a hole near the edge of the runway and use golf clubs (mostly a putter) to see how many strokes it takes to get your golf ball (previously dropped from your plane) into the hole. This takes both flying and putting skill! Time runs from takeoff to final putt. Low stroke count wins. In the event of a tie use the lowest time of tied contestants to determine winner. (PS: Don't use this at the golf course!)
Jack Plonien (Dallas Skyblazers)
LIMBO LUNACY
Set limbo streamer at 6', Most passes under limbo in one minute, cut streamer or hit pole and time stops.
Tom Rhodes
DIXIE DEATH
Shortest time to take off, do 3 each rolls, loops, and spins (in any order), then do a touch and go then do 3 each rolls, loops, and spins (in any order), then land. Stop watch starts when plane leaves ground and stops at touchdown.
Tom Rhodes
DEAD STICK SPOT LANDING
Place balloon marker on field and person who dead sticks closes to marker without touching it wins. Touching balloon disqualifies.
Tom Rhodes
TEAM EGG DROP
A variation of the target egg drop. Instead of trying to hit a target, your partner has an old frying pan with which he tries to catch the egg. Splatters the egg when it hits and makes a neat metallic sound when the egg hits. Don't wear your best flying shirt for this one if you're the one with the pan. Enjoy! (this should be called "EGG DROP FOR DUMMIES!!...bf)
Debi Nemec
DEAD-STICK LOOPS
Climb 35 sec. from take off, kill engine, advance throttle after 5 sec. to prove engine off and make max. number of loops before landing. Fall-offs count for 1/2 a loop. Score one additional loop for stopping within a 20' x 20' area on the runway. Squeezing in that last loop before landing separates the men from the boys. (Or eradicates a good ship....BF)
Pete Gayner - Romeo Area R/C Club Michigan
MAIL RUN
Pilot must taxi to spot on field where helper directs him to spot #1. Once on spot business card is attached to plane (rubber band). Take off, pass upwind and down wind markers and land. Taxi to spot #2 where helper removes card 1 and attaches card 2. Take off, fly around markers an deliver mail back to spot #1 where you will receive card 3 to deliver back to spot #2. Time to pick up an deliver X pieces of mail wins. Time starts when plane starts to roll and stops when last piece of mail is delivered.
Red Scholefield - Flying Gators
"DRAG" RACE
In Memphis, they've invented a sort of "Drag" Race that's proven to be real fun, and provides plenty of laughs for all...
First, purchase a cheap wig, a chenille cotton pull-over woman's robe, and a really large pair of women's panties and bra - the larger the better! (see...this is the 'drag' part of the drag race...get it?).
Paint a circle or square about 6 feet across on the runway.
Each contestant must place his aircraft inside the circle. At the start signal, the pilot (or helper, if desired) must start his plane, then take off, perform a loop, and land; then the aircraft must return to the circle, and the pilot must don one article of the women's clothes.
Then repeat until all the clothes, wig included, are being worn by the pilot. Finally, the pilot must take off, loop, and return to the circle again to stop the clock. Lowest time wins...
Note that you do not have to taxi to the circle, but can manually place the aircraft in the circle if desired. But, no clothes can be put on until the aircraft is within the bounds of the circle. This usually winds up in making the pilot run at top speed to his aircraft and put it into the circle - all while wearing a pair pf panties and a bra that are 'WAY to big for him! It's a riot that is guaranteed to make everyone die laughing!
Freddie Rice
Whitehaven Tale-Draggers
Memphis, TN

Old 04-20-2005, 08:47 PM
laker500
My Feedback: (2)

I heard some friends talking about this one. You put an open topped 55 gallon barrel in the middle of the field. Place some old foam cushions in the bottom for obvious reasons. Using an old plane, motor and radio fly to altitude and try to dive into the barrel. The person with the most of his plane in the barrel wins. You could allow go arounds and touch and goes but I dont think it would matter!?LOL!?. It would be fun to watch I'm sure but I dont think I would wish to compete.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:55 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

The two that are the most fun IMHO.

#1 is the water ballon drop. It's also very easy to set up and and very cheap.

#2 I have heard called the Redneck Wreck. It's a timed event. Start with the plane at idle on the runway. You must take off do 3 rolls/ 3 loops / 3 decending snaps and land. The winner has the fastest time from take off till the wheel touch on landing.

David
Old 04-21-2005, 09:26 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: C Earnest

Hi all RCU'ers,

I have been tasked to come up with suggestions for some fun-fly events. What is/are your one or two favorites? Also, where might I find a resource/s for the same? Thanks in advance to all for your input. As always, time is of the essence. In this case, late planning on someone else's part DOES constitute an emergency on my part! :-)

Charles Earnest, N7ATY

Go to AMA Competition section, http://www.modelaircraft.org/compreg.asp, click on Special Events and then to Competition Fun Fly, event #705.

You will find many subjects that can be tailored for your individual needs and requirements.

Enjoy.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:30 PM
s. wallace
My Feedback: (24)

daveopam wrote: I have heard called the Redneck Wreck. It's a timed event. Start with the plane at idle on the runway. You must take off do 3 rolls/ 3 loops / 3 decending snaps and land. The winner has the fastest time from take off till the wheel touch on landing.

Yep...That one is a blast, I always included it in our club fun flys. I think it's more commonly known
as the "Dixie Death".

Another fun event is "Roops" - a timed event once airborne & pilot indicates he's ready-

60 seconds to do as many roops as possible (a roop is a roll followed by a loop). A good way
to see who runs their engines a bit too lean.

Scott
Old 04-21-2005, 10:21 PM
RCJake-rcu
My Feedback: (7)

One that I used to use was this. The pilot would climb as high as he wanted, then yelled now and would go to idle. The stop watch would then start and the pilot would touch down as close to 2 minutes as he could and as close to a spot on the runway as he could. The stop watch would stop when the plane's main wheel touched. Oh! To break up the pilot's counting, he had to do a roll and loop while at idle.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:12 PM
YNOT

New issue of Fly R/C has a artical about this.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:56 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: laker500

I heard some friends talking about this one. You put an open topped 55 gallon barrel in the middle of the field. Place some old foam cushions in the bottom for obvious reasons. Using an old plane, motor and radio fly to altitude and try to dive into the barrel. The person with the most of his plane in the barrel wins. You could allow go arounds and touch and goes but I dont think it would matter!?LOL!?. It would be fun to watch I'm sure but I dont think I would wish to compete.
We call that game "Sharpshooter"

Place the drum out in the middle of the field. Get the barrel "bullseye" rings painted around it with chalk that you'd use on a football or baseball field. We usually paint 4 or 5 rings around the barrel with the largest ring being about 40' in diameter. The "bullseye" is worth 50, and each ring out from that is worth 10 points less. The outer ring being worth only 10 points and then the next one worth 20 and so on-- and the barrel is worth 50.

No spot landings allowed. You gotta DIVE it in from straight up. Or someone will get smart and realize that it's almost impossible to hit the barrel. He'll just spot land and get on the ring worth 40 points-then he wins.

Get out your Zagi or your most worn out beater. No go arounds-- it's a "1 shot per pilot" game.

Winner usually gets an engine or a kit- but it's a $10-20 entry fee for that one. And ya gotta have enough guys participating to justify the engine/kit giveaway.

It's just a great way to splatter an old plane/engine combo- and maybe get a new one.