Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

FREQUENCY FLAGS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 10:17 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FREQUENCY FLAGS?

Frequency control at our public field is a row of numbered pieces of pipe mounted vertically that you place a flag in to let others know you have the frequency in use. Unfortunately people will use just about anything as a flag from a nice picture with their plane, AMA#, name and cell phone to the other end of the spectrum, a screw driver or broken prop.

I suggested that our club set up a table on the weekend and make up free flags for whoever wants one with no strings attached as a way to promote better frequency control at the field. I have been asked to come up with a templete that we can use to print flags at the field since another members has a laptop/printer/ digital camera that he will bring and another has the laminating equipment.

So since I am lazy and thought I'd see what others might be doing I'm posting here for some ideas for the flags.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:57 AM
gregg f
My Feedback: (20)

Default RE: FREQUENCY FLAGS?

Great idea Richard.
At my age I have to get very close to see those props and screwdrivers!
Old 04-26-2005, 05:57 AM
ben flyn

You could take pictures of screwdrivers and broken props to put on the flags.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:03 AM
BasinBum

ORIGINAL: ben flyn

You could take pictures of screwdrivers and broken props to put on the flags.
Now that's funny!
Old 04-26-2005, 06:21 AM
Bruno Stachel
My Feedback: (4)

At the field I fly at, we have long metal stakes (over 3' long) with square metal plates (approx. 3x3 inches) welded to them. The plates are painted yellow with the channel numbers painted black (2 inches high). We have a sturdy wooden stand in the pit area that we keep them on. (Two 4x4's with holes drilled in them to insert the stakes.) When you go to the field, you go to the stand and find the stake with your channel number. Then you push the stake into the ground, in the pits, near your plane(s). If you don't find your stake, you don't turn on your transmitter until you find the person using it, and work out an arrangement to share the channel.

We have an impound rack for transmitters not in use. (Some prefer to lock their transmitter in the trunk of their car. And deliberately show the other channel user that they have done so.)

We also have a plexi-glass sign with all the channel numbers listed along the left and right edges. You clip a clothes pin, with your name on it, to the channel number you're using. That helps us find each other in the pits - having a name to call out. But not everyone uses this. Most rely on the metal stakes.

Old 04-26-2005, 08:08 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

We supply each member with a wallet size card. They put this in the board to designate that they have the channel.
I think if you did something simular, it would work out and you will be able to see who is a member and who is not.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:20 AM
FOD MAN

/
Old 04-26-2005, 10:28 AM
Clark L

Great idea BB. A flag with the persons picture, name, and AMA number (if available) would make it a simple task to track him down. It's much easier walking the pits asking for someone by name rather than yelling out "Who's the number two pencil thats been on fifteen for the last two hours!"
Old 04-26-2005, 10:30 AM
kiswa

Our setup is a board with plexiglass pockets for each channel (with the channel number on the pocket front). When you come out to fly, you put your AMA card (or a copy of it) into the pocket for your channel. That way, if someone is using the same channel, you can see who it is (name on the AMA card) and you can work out a sharing setup. We also have an impount board nearby where transmitter that conflict are required to be hung until the channel is open to them.

I think it works pretty well.

But as to your flag request: why not have your template setup to include a picture of the members plane (they're taking the pictures while they make the flags right?) and then have member name and AMA number on the flag (at the least). And maybe you could make it a little fundraiser where they get one for free and can buy multiple flags (one for each plane they have), or something like that. Just a thought.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:35 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I think I'll hit the clearance table at Victoria's Sectret and pick up a couple pair of lacy underwear to use as flags. That should get their attention.[X(]

Also, its a guarantee that they would be put back and not taken home, since the guy would have to explain the underwear to his wife[>:]

However, the old clothes pin and metal tag has worked well with us over the years.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:34 PM
DaveB

Our club uses small plastic pieces engraved with the channel number and glued to a clothes pin. One pin for every channel. When the frequency is available the pin is attached to a board in the Pits. When a flier takes a pin, no one else can use the frequency. It's simple and easy to manage.

DaveB
Old 04-26-2005, 02:29 PM
Bruno Stachel

They actually work fine. You just plant your stake (actually we call them pins) near you planes and field equipment in the pit area. I haven't seen anyone trip over one, in the 4 years I've been in the club. You're more likely to trip over your plane. I usually have two planes with me. I place my field equipment on one side of them, and my channel pin (stake) on the other, slightly behind. Never gets in my way.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:59 PM
Bob101

We use something totally different but I've seen clubs use a board similar to your pipes where they provide clothes pins to the members (who write their name on it or print them with a label maker) and you pin your AMA card or club card up.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:02 PM
Bob101

ORIGINAL: DaveB

Our club uses small plastic pieces engraved with the channel number and glued to a clothes pin. One pin for every channel. When the frequency is available the pin is attached to a board in the Pits. When a flier takes a pin, no one else can use the frequency. It's simple and easy to manage.

DaveB
We do the same and have them replace the numbered pin with one with their name written on it in case it disappears at the end of the day or they keep it too long you can find who pretty quick. Everyone keeps a pin on their transmitter at all times - either their named one when it's in the impound shelf (also helps you locate the right 9c out of 13 on a busy day - or someone leaves it at the end of the day) or you have the bright colored freq. pin.

We glue the little kids ice cream spoons onto the back and paint them a bright color and apply vinyl decals for the numbers so you can see them far away.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:33 PM
BasinBum

I'm glad I started this thread because I always like to see how the rest of the world lives but I'm still looking for input as to what info or design to use for our flag templet. Let me give you guys a little more insight to our field which based on a lot of the responses is far far differant than what most are accustomed to.

It's a public park/flying field and there is no authority present to run things, it just runs itself. Anything like a pin or engraved plastic tag that is ment to stay at the field would soon disapear. The only reason the flag stand stays is it is welded and cemented into the ground. So people having there own flags is the only way it seems it can work and we want to encourage people to use more than a broken prop.

So far I want to put:
Name
Picture of the pilot (they usually have more than one plane)
AMA# (although many don't have AMA since it is not required)
Cell Phone number so if they forget to take it down you can call them.

Anyone who wants to design a flag and post it here feel free or, if there is any other info you think we need speak up.
Thanks!
Old 04-26-2005, 05:04 PM
*Crash*Johnson*
My Feedback: (7)

I took my AMA card and scanned it into my PC, Photoshopped the image to include the text of my address and phone number
1) to cover me by artice 6 (i think) of the AMA guidelines
2) to recover a lost / stolen plane a little easier.
I printed the final product out and sprayed adhesive onto the back and stuck it inside the fuse. Took me 10 minutes to do. Long story longer....

The guys at the club could do this or hell, even photocopy their AMA cards for their flag. To try to make it more creative, have a contest about it for your next fly in and people will get creative!

[edited for spelling errors.]
Old 04-26-2005, 08:13 PM
DBCherry

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay BB. Here's the simplest one I could come up with.

Do you have any design criteria? Size, layout, Stars and Bars?
Dennis-
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72730.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	263619  
Old 04-26-2005, 08:15 PM
DBCherry

Sorry, needs a border.

Name:	Xv63043.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	263620  
Old 04-26-2005, 08:30 PM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something like this?

Scott

Name:	Xu62867.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	263629  
Old 04-26-2005, 08:46 PM
ben flyn

DB did you get the picture of the guy at the post office?
Old 04-27-2005, 01:39 AM
BasinBum

Thanks guys, now that's what I'm talkin about. We had some discussion at the club meeting tonight of whether or not to put the channel number on since many people fly on more than one frequency.

Ben is sure on a roll, he must have found his comedy gene.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:00 AM
DBCherry

DB did you get the picture of the guy at the post office?
Ss-s-s-shh! I'm in hiding.

BB,
What's the name of the field? Could substitute that.
Dennis-
Old 04-27-2005, 08:04 AM
submikester
My Feedback: (6)

Just to help BB out here's a pic of part of our freq control system at the basin.

Notice the disparity in flags...

Name:	If10485.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	279.6 KB
ID:	263756  
Old 04-27-2005, 09:47 AM
BasinBum

I've seen the piece of paper on channel 60 before. I have to find that guy to see what kind of POS plane he entrusts to a flag like that.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:02 AM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

I agree in that parallel BB and with this homoginized flag production. Like said before, name, picture, AMA, Cell and channels would be great. Take a look at my GSS flag next time we meet. It has a clip on it. I find it useful on windy days because it really locks onto the pipe flag holder, and when I am done and go get it, it clips onto my radio strap.
This is such a great idea and the need is there. No doubt in my mind. If it saves one plane or another bad accident then it would be worth it, IMO!

JOe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.