Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Need to Generate New Club Members?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Need to Generate New Club Members?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 11:15 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Need to Generate New Club Members?

For several years our club has been trying to boost membership. We've done mall shows and Boy Scout presentations and the other typical things to promote the club, all with limited success.

But I think we finally hit on something.

This Spring we started a new class with the local School District's "Adult Night School Courses" titled "Introduction to Radio Controlled Airplanes"

Last night was our first class. We had 6 people sign up - 2 adults, and 4 students (Ages 10 thru 14). The school district does all of the advertising and we charged $25 for Adults and $5 for students with the stipulation that 16yrs and under needed to be accompanied by an adult. The school keeps a small percentage, and we (The Club) use the rest as their first year's Club Dues

Since we started Late (We originally wanted to do this over the winter) We decided that the Club would supply a trainer ARF, and an Engine and radio which we will keep as a Club Trainer.

The class is scheduled for 4 nights (Mondays from 7-9pm). After the 4 nights, when the plane is done, we will meet at our field (Which just happens to be located just north of the High School) and they will be taught how to fly.

Our first class was a big success. Everyone, young and old alike seemed to have a really good time. The class is being taught by several of our club members, so that if one of us can't make it, the others can take over.

Next Autumn, we plan on doing it again but this time, everyone will be required to purchase their own radio, engine and KIT which we will build over the winter.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:20 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Need to Generate New Club Members?

Minn,
Now that is a great idea. Keep us posted on how it goes.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:28 PM
DBCherry

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike,
Happy to hear that your class seems to be successful. Funny thing is, I'd thought about aomething similar over the past few years (off and on). Trying to set up a "Night Life" course as they're referred to around here, but thought it would have to be something more intensive, like aerodynamics.

I may have to speak with our club about trying something similar, AND less complicated. I like "An Intrduction to RC Airplanes" a lot.
Dennis-
Old 05-03-2005, 01:16 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're lucky. Our local school district whouldn't hear of such a thing. We tried but the director of the school board wouldn't meet us or allow any use of school property for anything but school activities.
We just held a fun fly. We advertised that there would be buddy box flying for those who wanted it. The Seniorita was busy until the batteries gave up. Our best turnout was CAP cadets. We are working with the local CAP squadron. Someone gave them 3 RC models and we'll teach them how to fly. Got two new members.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:48 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thats cool Mike.

I used that approach when I had a full scale flight school. I did it through the university continuing Ed program and always had 20+ students. Great way to get people involved.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:24 PM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Mike: We did kind of a reverse situation, about 25years ago. One of our club members was a high school teacher, woodshop and machine-shop. The school offered a night school one night/week for the entire school year. Cost was $10.00/semester.

One day this teacher told the guys at a club meeting that only five people had signed up for night school, and unless 11 registered, there would be no classes. So, six club members signed up just to save the teacher's job. It turned out to be just great. We had full use of all of the wood working machines as well as the full machine shop. Nothing became too difficult to make or manufacture. Soon, several more club members joined, and it wasn't long until all we did there was build model airplanes.

This went on for at least six years - every Monday night. By the end, almost the whole club joined in the program. We didn't recruit any new members by doing this, but we sure had a lot of fun doing things together. Everybody sure looked forward to those Monday evenings, and what it did for the club as a whole you can't imagine.

By the way - this teacher is now a DVP for the AMA, and has been for at least six years. He will vouch for this story.

If your local high school has a similar night school program, get your club members to join, and have some real fun together. We know that it works - we've been there and done that.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:39 PM
MinnFlyer

Funny you should mention that Jim, I was thinking of doing the very same thing

BTW, I got a phone call today - We had another Father and Son team join our class
Old 05-04-2005, 08:16 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike, are you instructing the students to build or fly?
That sounds good and I wanted to understand your goals.
May look at something like that for our school district
Old 05-05-2005, 09:16 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm sending a copy of the thread to our club president. He is working on a simular program with our schools. We are glad to hear about your success.

Scott
Old 05-10-2005, 10:09 AM
MinnFlyer

Miles, We are assembling an ARF. Throughout the processm we're going over construction and basic building techniques. We had our second class last night and by next week, we should have it RTF, so we are going to bring along a simulator and give them some stick time. By the following week, we should be at the field.

Next winter, we'll be holding another class where the students will build their own plane from a kit.