Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Met my first know-it-all!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 10:21 AM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Met my first know-it-all!

Was out at the Deer Grove field on Sunday, and finally met my first know-it-all type. Stereotypical stickler for rules (not that I'm against safety, this guy just somehow singled me out as a newbie, while ignoring safety violations of his club buddies), and then he walks up to me while I'm flying and starts handing out unsolicited advice. Then my student shows up and this person starts giving more unsolicited advice! I asked him to reverse the pattern so my student could land with a headwind, and he gave me a hard time. Where do these people come from? And why don't they go back there?[:'(]
Old 05-11-2005, 10:32 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Met my first know-it-all!

flycfii,
Unfortunately these people are like ants at a picnic. They just always seem to show up. How to deal with them depends on the club you're at. You'll just need to find out what he does in the club. If he's just another member then listen to him once, say thank you for your opinion, and then move on. As long as you're following the club safety rules you are in the right. If he is an officer of the club then it's going to have to be handled a little bit more delicately. Talk to the club president if need be.

Other than that, not much you can do. Like I said, these types always seem to show up.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:41 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We have a few of those. He has taken it upon himself to watch everything I do for almost 30 years now. He thinks he knows all and one day act like my best friend, the next is sticking the knife in my back. Who needs members like that. Just tollerate it, ignore it and have fun. Its all any of us can do.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:01 AM
Rv7garage

Since it is a public-use field, and I don't have to belong to the club to use it, I am not going to tolerate it at all! Next time this guy decides to be a nuicance, I'm gonna stick it right in his face!
Old 05-11-2005, 11:21 AM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are 3 analogies I like to hold for these types:

1> The pimple - a minor annoyance, the know-it-all who has a comment about everything if you are willing to listen. If you turn your back or act disinterested they conveniently go away.

2> The hemorrhoid - a general and persistent pain in the butt, but for the most part, still only an annoyance. It won't effect your temper or your concentration, and for the most part, you can tune them out with a little effort. If they are especially annoying on a particular day, you can simply tell them to pipe down and usually the issue is taken care of peacefully.

3> The flaming A-Hole - this type is persistent, arrogant, and knows everything. They are extremely consistent as well so they do the same thing every time they are present. These people live for the rules and to piss everyone off. They are usually very old as well, and some of them don't even fly!! They have every rule memorized to the tee and are very quick to point out exactly how and why you were violating what. They especially like to make up rules or stretch existing rules just so they have something to badger people over. Of course, they love their buddies so no matter what mistakes they make, there is never a comment. Unfortunately, there is no other way to get rid of this type of extreme PITA except by getting in their face and telling them in a very loud voice specifically to shut the &^$% up.

There is one guy at my field that just won't quit. The minute I see him pull up I get an attitude. Fortunately, I have ripped him enough times that when I am there he more or less just shuts up and minds his own business. If he even starts to walk my way I give him stink eye and turns around!

I am not a mean guy, but I really have no use whatsoever for the #3's in the world.
DP

PS: I have flown at that field (I used to live in Long Grove) .. I think I know who you are talking about!! One guy there gave me all kinds of grief when I showed up with a big Carden 2 summers ago!)

Old 05-11-2005, 11:27 AM
Rv7garage

desertpig- I hear ya. It seems like the only downside to this hobby/sport is that it tends to attract people of all kinds, instead of only the ones who think like me! (Satire) I guess its a small lesson in life, but i still hate those #3's so much!
Old 05-11-2005, 11:30 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Oh yeah, I know the type exactly. We have one at our field. He won't bother me anymore because I fixed him but good. I took a 12-roll package of toilet paper and duct taped the wings and tail section from a crashed plane I had on the package. Next flying session I took it and set it on the flight line, and just waited for him to show up. When he showed up and asked (as I knew he would) what that was I told him it was a new plane "for perfect a**holes to fly", and then held out a tranmitter and asked if he was ready to fly!!! He doesn't bother me anymore.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:48 AM
crownvic

Desertpig I dont understand why the old guys are always the problem and the young fellows are the heros the clubs that I belong to have very nice old and young people and even the middle age guys aint bad. You no the average age of people in this hobby is about 55 so of course you will find more old ***** holes than young ones

Lonnie
Old 05-11-2005, 11:57 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: flycfii

Since it is a public-use field, and I don't have to belong to the club to use it, I am not going to tolerate it at all! Next time this guy decides to be a nuicance, I'm gonna stick it right in his face!

That won't really get you anywhere, but it will lose you credibility with others. I can see explaining it nicely to him, but if you get too far in his face, you will make it worse, but there are times when you really need to get in the guys face, I have been there, and the whimps usually backtrack really fast when you do it. Just make sure the time is right.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:01 PM
Rv7garage

No worries, flyboy- Machiavelli aint got nothin' on me!

Seriously, though- I would never make anything physical out of it- I will just let this (and any other) individual know, under no uncertain terms, what he can do with his unwelcome attention. And I might even be nice.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:07 PM
Rv7garage

Crownvic- you are right, and the majority of people that I meet at the field are nice.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:42 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was 20, forty year olds were a bunch of grumpy old men. When I was 40, sixty year olds were grumpy old men, I'm 50 now, I think 70 year olds are grumpy old men. There are probably a few 20-30 year olds out there who think the same of me.

It's a generational thing.

For the last 8 years I have been the only member of my R/C club so I've gotten kind of spoiled. One pilot/ 10 acres of concrete to fly from. I move back to a "real" club in 2 years, the human interaction will take some getting used to... There will be a lot of grumpiness going on then...LOL!!

Don

ORIGINAL: crownvic

Desertpig I dont understand why the old guys are always the problem and the young fellows are the heros the clubs that I belong to have very nice old and young people and even the middle age guys aint bad. You no the average age of people in this hobby is about 55 so of course you will find more old ***** holes than young ones

Lonnie
Old 05-11-2005, 12:46 PM
famousdave

ORIGINAL: crownvic

Lonnie

Crownvic- I am not singling out any age group, I'm certainly no kid myself, but definitely under the mean age for R/C if its 55. There are #3s in every walk of life and at every age, unfortunately, for my experience in R/C it seems like the really old guys are the majority of the problem.

I was brought up to strongly believe in two things - 1, respect your elders, and 2, mind your own business.
If #2 is compromised, I will compromise #1

There are of course, many older folks at our field who are very cool and great to share stories with! One of the nicest guys I know is 73 and he acts like 23! Most everyone I fly with is very cool and we all have fun.

Its the very few #3's (young or old) who kill it for everyone.
DP
Old 05-11-2005, 12:47 PM
famousdave

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Oh yeah, I know the type exactly. We have one at our field. He won't bother me anymore because I fixed him but good. I took a 12-roll package of toilet paper and duct taped the wings and tail section from a crashed plane I had on the package. Next flying session I took it and set it on the flight line, and just waited for him to show up. When he showed up and asked (as I knew he would) what that was I told him it was a new plane "for perfect a**holes to fly", and then held out a tranmitter and asked if he was ready to fly!!! He doesn't bother me anymore.
THAT is hillarious!!! I might just have to build me one of those!!!

DP
Old 05-11-2005, 12:47 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Its not just in RC clubs, no matter what you are involved in, there is always one. At work, church, or the golf coarse.

I just ignore them. Like flying on a windy day, sure the wind agitates me and I must concentrate more on my flying, but I learn to tune it out and still enjoy my flight.

I do the same thing with these bunions. I "tune them out". It pisses them off but since they have a low attention span, they soon give up on me to find some other poor schlep who will antagonize them.

Scott
Old 05-11-2005, 01:19 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

They are everywhere, in the last month, I got in trouble at two different fields for different things, one for parking side ways, where there is literally hundreds of feet to park

Another for basically having a plane too big, having to fly an approach to the runway from almost a >45 degree angle to the runway.. (I didnt really get in trouble for these, but was singled out as the one to talk to about it)

Life goes on. But it sure makes one think about flying elsewhere.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:37 PM
Rv7garage

JohnVH- very true. Its like some people are just the type who are always trying to pick a fight- its probably the only way they know of to get attention. Man I feel sorry for their families...
Old 05-11-2005, 07:35 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We control line fliers have a humorous saying, which seems appropriate here, "There are more a**holes flying RC than there are people flying control line." I have never heard an RC flier dispute the truth of this. Now that I think about it, control line has been growing in numbers over the past several years. Has the number of RC flying a**holes increased proportionately?

Jim
Old 05-11-2005, 07:49 PM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

Ahh yes, #3's LOL
I wasted a lot of my energy on the biggest #3 ever. No one dealt with this guy at all over the years till I showed up. I thought to myself, this guy is club made! Well let me tell you, I laid into this guy after remaining calm for countless events. I was so happy with myself for dealing with him. It has been almost one year since our tango and we still don't speak. We do not acknowledge each other at all. I see many new guys come and I remain quiet (very hard to do) but I hope they learn quick. I also think that our tango made him realize that his "ways" do affect people young or old etc 'cause his "ways" have changed but we still don't talk. The other week I was flying and I heard a new guy talking in the background. Oh yes, another #3 I said to myself. I made eye contact with him and just smiled. Later I walked over and introduced myself, I am the president of our club anyways, I was out flying the other day and guess what, another new guy, another #3. When will it end? It won't, and as long as I allow myself to be bothered by it, I will not get what everyone else does, enjoyment. Today I was at the field and my tango buddy arrived. He has a few new friends now. I drank my water alone! They all laughed and had a great time and I just wanted to join in but I'm too proud. I tell you, sure wish I had of dealt with him in a different way!
So many #3's

Enjoy the hobby!
Old 05-11-2005, 08:13 PM
*JCB*

oh god....the dang know-it-alls!!

given i'm still a noob to it all, BUT noobs get their fair share of the know-it-all crowd. I was breakin in a motor the other day and some guy comes up and starts telling me what to do, what not to do, how many four stars (the plane i had with me) he's had over the years, how to set them up, what defelctions the control surfaces should have for landing/takeoff/flight. THEN he starts giving my plane the once over, turnin over the prop, a tug on the tail feathers. WHAT ARE YOU DOING????!!!? he proceeds to give me more advice on tuning the engine, break in procedures blah blah blah....GO AWAY! I CAN READ THE G.D. DIRECTIONS, AND IF I WANTED YOUR HELP I WOULD HAVE ASKED FOR IT!! but i guess the know-it-alls come with the hobby.

my favorite is when one know-it-all starts talkin trash about another know-it-all, then it gets fun!
Old 05-11-2005, 09:10 PM
FOD MAN

/
Old 05-11-2005, 10:26 PM
Live Wire

Of all the people in the world we get the best of the bunch in this hobby and it is best to not get to involved or you could have the whole club on his or their side, and you are the one that hits the road. 105 miles one way[&o] don't think I will be flying much any more a new bunch of people and an old friend
Old 05-11-2005, 11:38 PM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Oh ya, we have a special one at our new club that I will call Joe! Now John VH knows this #3 for sure and yup he is a know it all, been in the hobby about 5 years now don't you know???? He complained that the runway was to small and wanted it bigger as he has big planes, don't fly them as he doesn't know how and oh BTW the runway is a manicured 60'X400'. He even took a trip down to California and paid someone at some school $500 to teach him how to land, yup it was money wasted as he still hasn't been able to hit the runway but he sure as hell will tell you how it's done. Oh I could go on forever about this #3 but will leave it at that but yes you will get them no matter where you go. Hey John, you want him back up there at skagit?????[sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif]
Old 05-12-2005, 05:47 AM
Kaos Rulz

I'm the one at our field that does know it all!

The problem is trying to remember anything at any given time.

What I don't like to see is when they come up to you and talk your ear off while you're flying. Especially if your attempting to learn a new maneuver, or setting up to land. When this happens, I tell them to hold that thought until I finish my flight and then we'll discuss YOUR problem.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:01 AM
NitroWoman

People that think they know it all really annoy us people that really do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.