Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

cap gun + warbird = realistic. Possible?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

cap gun + warbird = realistic. Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 09:21 PM
sparow89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cap gun + warbird = realistic. Possible?

I just had a random thought and decided to ask. If I were to make an automatic machine gun that used those caps in cap guns that you played with when you were young, would AMA permit it? It wouldn't shoot a projectial or anything. Just smoke and a cool sound.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:30 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: cap gun + warbird = realistic. Possible?

Reading the regs I think you would find it to be OK if you stayed within the parameters you described. But an easier method could be to install blinking lights at the gun ports and use a servo operated play back device with the sounds you want. I'd avoid a boom box, tho
Old 05-14-2005, 09:41 PM
sparow89

That would be easier, but I still want the smoke. Even though they dont put off a lot. It would be fun.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:07 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

sparow89,
The problem with "smoke" and "heat" from the caps is the possibility of damaging the covering of the plane to the point it becomes unflyable, or even igniting the balsa that makes the planes frame. I've sat here thinking about it and even if it were safer I can't come up with a way that you are going to strike the cap so it's set off. I wouldn't think that a servo can move fast enough with enough force to set off a cap. And even if it could, how are you going to "hold" the cap in a position to be struck. Or advance to the next cap on the string.

Just my 02ΒΆ worth
Old 05-14-2005, 10:14 PM
AgCat1982

Just a thought on one point. You could use the servo to pull back the "hammer" which advances the cap the same way a cap gun does it, and a different one to quick release it the way one pulls a trigger, or have it automatically release after pulled back far enough.

Could work with some small amount of design and, possibly, your own lathe.

Old 05-15-2005, 11:56 AM
sparow89

I was thinking about using the plastic strip caps, not the paper ones. they aren't relaiable enough. I don't think it would be to hard to make a small electric motor turn a mechinism that triggers the cap. Also I don't think it would be difficult to fire proof the plane around the mechinism.