Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

05 Joe Nall / What Do You Think??

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

05 Joe Nall / What Do You Think??

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 07:54 AM
rsrogers
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Joe Nall / What Do You Think??

I dont know if it was just me & the folks that went with me to the Nall this year but did it seem to anyone else to be a little bit of a dud compared to years before??

Our little group has been going for several years now & though I think this year was by far the largest in attendance we noticed the pits had the fewest airplanes we have ever seen and the vendor isle wasnt as full as it usualy is and there just seemed to be a different "air" about the place.

I dont think I'm getting bored with the Nall but it could be. Did anyone else who has been on a regular basis feel it wasnt the same???
Old 05-15-2005, 08:54 PM
vicman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 05 Joe Nall / What Do You Think??

I am on your side here. This was my 4th trip. I think the flying skill level was somewhat higher but the whole package was a little empty from previous years. What vendor aisle[X(]! Last year I blew over $200 down there came home with a bunch of stuff. This year I went up and down 4 times just to be sure my eyes weren't missing something, and only spent $10.50[&:] Yes sir I was quite disappointed in that area. I also missed seeing Mac Hodges and his demo along with Matt Chapman on Saturday. I will still go back next year tho.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:22 PM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been 9 of the last 10 years and I think it was the smallest crowd in a long, long, long time. Chip, Mac, Dave Patrick and a lot of others were "conspiciously" missing. I really don't know that it turned out better because of it. A lot more flying by "regular folks". Seemed to be a lot more organized--but fewer celebraties missing. Curtis Youngblood, Jason Knoll, and "Key-Kay" made it all worth while. I'll be back next year--"Good Lord will'in"
Old 05-16-2005, 07:04 AM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

I had a ball anyway, the crowd and motorhomes were there but the planes just were not, and as for the 3 or four celebraties missing we also picked up a few like, Jason Knoll, Mark Leseburg Jr, Youngblood, etc, and the weather could have been better, the wind was blowing 40 hells Friday, and Saturday,, but that is my take, I will try to never miss a Nall but this one was not quite as good as last years, and RSROGERS I didn't know you would be there do I would have gotten up and met, but maybe I can come up to Clyde and fly one weekend,
Old 05-16-2005, 07:33 AM
rsrogers

Come on up jg we would love to have you!

I'll probably be back to the Nall again next year as thats the only place I get to get away from it all for a few days. The big Oak next to the ice cream tent is my little haven for 3 days. What time I'm not walking around you can find me there dozing off to the sound of arplanes
Old 05-16-2005, 09:04 AM
zx32tt
My Feedback: (9)

It's been 4 yrs since my last attendence, and I thought this years event was outstanding. Yes, I think some of the big dogs were missing, but it still was a great event. The full scale air show was breath taking, as well as the noon time shows. The only thing that marred the event was the fact that criminal elements have seen this event as a place of opportunity for easy theft.
Z
Old 05-16-2005, 09:31 AM
goatboy

anyone have any pics to share? I have never been to joe nall but thought of going in the future.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:20 AM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's been 4 yrs since my last attendence, and I thought this years event was outstanding. Yes, I think some of the big dogs were missing, but it still was a great event. The full scale air show was breath taking, as well as the noon time shows. The only thing that marred the event was the fact that criminal elements have seen this event as a place of opportunity for easy theft.
I don't think the thieves were as bad as last year-- It was some of my flying buddies that caught the guy. They said he was a pitiful case. could not even run fast to get away. Banned from the site for life. To me that would be worse punishment than a few days in the big house and probation--which is all he will probably get.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:40 AM
mulligan

ORIGINAL: rsrogers

The big Oak next to the ice cream tent is my little haven for 3 days.
Weren't those frozen snicker ice cream bars great!
Old 05-16-2005, 11:41 AM
mulligan

ORIGINAL: goatboy

anyone have any pics to share? I have never been to joe nall but thought of going in the future.
Look at the main Joe Nall thread- this ain't it- check the sticky post at the top of the forum. Many pics with many, many more to come.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:30 PM
rsrogers

I'm an ice cream fanatic so I think all of them were good!!!
Old 05-16-2005, 07:50 PM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been to several of the 'Nalls' as well. I was thinking the same about there not being quite as many planes as usual. One thing I missed was seeing everyone cut loose. 1 or 2 people usually will start getting low on the flight line and next thing you knew there would be a bunch of planes 3ding and putting on a good show Before anyone goes nuts I know they did it for safety reasons and to keep the runway clear for takeoffs and landings. I like watching the jets scream by, the warbirds doing low fast passes and the 3ders doing their thing!!!!
Old 05-16-2005, 08:10 PM
JAS
My Feedback: (2)

Here's some pics of Mark Leseberg Jr. with his electric Extra 260.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83373.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	272469   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39243.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	272470   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bh65116.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	272471   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ng10045.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	272472  
Old 05-16-2005, 08:15 PM
JAS

It wasn't that windy....I think this "little" flag is about 20 feet long?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63132.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	272474  
Old 05-17-2005, 06:18 AM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

Yeh Jason the wind was about 15-20 the whole weekend,, and how did your Shulman Aviation booth do,,,,,,
Old 05-17-2005, 10:48 AM
mulligan

ORIGINAL: JAS

It wasn't that windy....I think this "little" flag is about 20 feet long?
Was it the wind that caused that aborted take-off??

Old 05-17-2005, 04:03 PM
JAS

Shulman Aviation did well at the Nall. We would like to thank all who have supported us so far. Looks like we'll go back again...LOL.

The "aborted" take-off was my attempt to gain as much speed on the ground to do the stump-the-chump (STC) snap and a half on take-off. Needless to say that the speed that I attained led to the wheels shaking (over drilled for the axle) to the point that the wheels were locking and twisting the gear that it pulled the nose down. 1 prop and a few squirts of thin CA and she was ready to go again. The next take-off for STC was only about 3 feet with the speed gained in the air and a completed, although over-rotated, snap and a half.
Old 05-18-2005, 02:53 AM
spitlover1

I thought it was a great Nall again
Old 05-18-2005, 02:58 AM
dragoonpvw
My Feedback: (7)

Jason,
I thought you you put it in just so Sadler could come back with his smart mouth. One full prop and a half snapped, just like he asked. I know Bob doesn't think too quick but that was a good return. The second flight was a good one though.
I thought this year was great, it was easier to fly on Friday than it was last year but Wednesday was busy already and Thursday was crazy. We will have to see how the Warbird event goes at the end of the year, I may switch to that if it takes off as next years Nall will be a zoo if it keeps growing.
good Luck
Paul
Old 05-18-2005, 10:52 AM
mulligan

ORIGINAL: dragoonpvw
We will have to see how the Warbird event goes at the end of the year, I may switch to that if it takes off as next years Nall will be a zoo if it keeps growing.
good Luck
Paul
Yeah, but TWO 500+ mile trips a year- I can't do it. I'll wait and see how the warbird event fairs without me before I pick Joe Nall or warbird event.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:31 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: AJF--2

I don't think the thieves were as bad as last year-- It was some of my flying buddies that caught the guy. They said he was a pitiful case. could not even run fast to get away. Banned from the site for life. To me that would be worse punishment than a few days in the big house and probation--which is all he will probably get.

From what I heard, he was about to get a free ambulance ride. I have zero tolerance for thieves, whatever a**-whipping he should have gotten would have been less than he deserved, and would stand as a clear warning to all others like him. For the most part, I found you could leave all your stuff laying out and not worry at all whether or not it would be there when you got back. This was my first trip to "The Nall", and it certainly won't be my last. Helluva good time.

I was too nervous to try flying with all the other planes whizzing and TORQUE-ROLLING over the runway, and the breeze was a bit stiff; I just went out about 6:15 each morning I was there and flew to my heart's content for an hour, didn't have to stand in line, either.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:47 AM
jjharris

This was my first trip to "The Nall". I had a couple of friends with me, one of whom had been to several others. We all had a great time and the guy that had been before didn't say anything negative about it. I did think vendor row was somewhat of a disappointment though. I did manage to spend over one hundred American dollars still, though. If I can work it, I will be back next time.

Big Jim, P51 Bob and John
Dixie Aeromasters, Macon, GA
Old 05-20-2005, 04:05 PM
tpes

Goatbuy,
Try www.rcgroup.com. Your fingers will get tired just clicking to look at more pictures.
Old 05-22-2005, 04:26 PM
mbuck515

Jason,

See what happens when no one tells you to do a long smooth straight perfect take off, you end like me at Top Gun with an "aborted" take off

Good luck at this year and kick ass at the world finals
Mitch