Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Money Orders

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 06:03 PM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Money Orders

Anyone ever deal with International Canadian Postal Money Orders? Seems as though cashing one of these in the US is starting to be a real pain in the *****. What gives?
Old 05-17-2005, 08:58 PM
Hughes500E

Default RE: Money Orders

Well, no news is good news!
Old 05-18-2005, 01:05 AM
CP140

I bought a set of JIS screwdrivers from a gentleman in the US on RCU here. I offered him the options of personal cheque, bank draft/certified cheque or money order...he chose a money order. He did not at any time mention having any difficulty with it. I don't know whether he had any trouble or not, and this was about a year ago, so perhaps something has changed or I didn't get any feedback. ?!?!?

I think the value of the money order might cause a problem... if you're talking $20-30 dollars most banks etc won't have a problem... if it's for several hundred dollars, then people start getting a little uptight!

I'm also assuming that the money order is in $US... if it's in $CDN, I could see some banks etc getting up tight.... I used to fly into northern Scotland on a (relatively) frequent basis and some of the banks at home got irritated at me if I showed up with Scottish pound notes(YES, they do exist!) instead of Bank of England pound notes.

Old 05-18-2005, 09:47 AM
Hughes500E

It's strange, I have sent many postal money orders to the states. For items on here as well as Ebay, never a problem. Something must be going on.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:36 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How hard can cashing a check be? Take it to your bank and deposit it. Done. Are you trying to just cash it at someplace you don't have an account? That is hard with any check any more.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:28 AM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

I think you need a new bank. I deposit MO's from Canada, China, Philippines and Indonesia with no issues. I have also converted paper currency back and forth. It takes some time for checks to clear, but my bank (Wells Fargo) never gives me a hassle or charge for the conversion.

DP
Old 05-18-2005, 06:22 PM
Hughes500E

Sure appreciate the input. I have never had an issue until recently, upsetting!
Old 05-19-2005, 03:38 AM
bobo_54501
My Feedback: (19)

I got a money order from old Canada ..I took it to my bank where I have my accounts and then sat there forever and a sunday while they had to call a number on the back of the check to verifie it .I enjoyed the dirty looks I got as people tried to get from behind me and into the next line and the way some of them stared at me like the bank was waiting for the cops to get there ..On the check its self it said they HAD to call so it wasnt my bank .I also tried to ship a larger (( Not huge )) package there ..All sorts of problems there ..Nothing personal my friends to the north .. But im done with it ..No more Canada ..
Old 05-19-2005, 11:44 AM
Hughes500E

Seems kind of weird that there is so many issues coming from the US towards Canada!
Old 05-19-2005, 05:23 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Good old nafta! Its a one way contract. Clinton hosed us well on it. I have to bid against canadian firms in everything I do, but I can not bid a job in canada. The US gov't just gave them a contract for 30% more than we bid it because they thought we were too busy to finish all of them. Sure am glad they like to send more of our tax money out of the country than leaving it in. We had a lot more work for them last year than we do right now, and we finished it.

Sorry for the rant.