Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

language at the field

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 09:49 PM
Live Wire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: language at the field

You would not believe Deacon and Elders from the !!!!!!!!! But Yes who has the say ! Yes I pop loose but it is once in a great while
Edit
Sorry was
Old 06-02-2005, 09:52 PM
ben flyn

BB.... What did he say?
Old 06-02-2005, 09:52 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Trent,
Using foul language and saying something that is "inherently likely to provoke an immediate violent reaction" can be two very differant things. Repeatedly using the F word when talking about your airplane for example may be offensive to someone but if they become physical and use that as their excuse they would likely be the only one violating any laws. If you are directing the foul language at an individual than the statute you cited may come into play but I don't think that is what this thread is about.

What have we learned from this thread so far:

1) Some people use foul language at the field.
2) Some people are offended by it.
3) Many don't mind as long as women or children are not present.
4) You should ask someone to tone down their language if it offends you.
5) If you tell (as opposed to ask) someone to tone it down you will most likely get the opposite response.
6) Zagnut likes to smoke cigarettes while browsing the Horizon Hobby website.

Seems fairly simple to me.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:57 PM
BasinBum

Ben,
He said that the Deacon and some church elders that he knows use foul language that would suprise you. He will use a cuss word on occasion (like when he crashes into a tent full of people) but not usually.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:58 PM
Live Wire

Hi BEN
Just about that time again
Old 06-02-2005, 09:58 PM
AgCat1982

If having a desire to see people show a little respect at the proper times means you must be a Deacon or Elder, then we are in more trouble than some of you realize.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:00 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

LOL at BB...
Old 06-02-2005, 10:01 PM
Live Wire

BB
I can not believe you and what you can make out of my post and be right on!!
Old 06-02-2005, 10:05 PM
ben flyn

BB LOL!
Maybe you should come to Sterling and put Larry on your lap with your hand in his back and do his writing for him! You are AMAZING!!!!!

Sorry Larry! Just kidding!!!!
Old 06-02-2005, 10:12 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

Basin Bum, I like the way you summarized it!
Old 06-02-2005, 10:17 PM
Live Wire

Great I love it makes me feel at HOME, Just like the good old days
Edit Who has more fun than a true RC Fan
Old 06-02-2005, 10:22 PM
ben flyn

Larry I'm gald (SO GALD) you have a sense of humor![8D][X(]
Old 06-02-2005, 10:47 PM
Live Wire

I am in bed buy 8 and I can not figure out wht happenedLater ben
Old 06-02-2005, 11:36 PM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

415. Any of the following persons shall be punished by imprisonment
in the county jail for a period of not more than 90 days, a fine of
not more than four hundred dollars ($400), or both such imprisonment
and fine:
(1) Any person who unlawfully fights in a public place or
challenges another person in a public place to fight.
(2) Any person who maliciously and willfully disturbs another
person by loud and unreasonable noise.
(3) Any person who uses offensive words in a public place which
are inherently likely to provoke an immediate violent reaction.

Just a little food for thought - from the California Penal Code.

Oh does that ever sound familiar! I hated rolling on 415's as you sure din't know what to expect, right Trent?
Now my take on this whole thing is this, why does a person even need descriptive adjectives? If one is unable to communicate their thoughts using decent language then why even open their mouths? Yes I use to cuss a lot especially when in the Army but you know I found out that I can get my point across just as well using plain everyday words, ok flame suit is on!
Old 06-03-2005, 11:24 AM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

An old english instructor of mine said " Foul language is a weak mind attempting to express itself forcefully. " That has stuck with me throughout the years and I try to be mind full of not only what I say but how I say it.

BB: You are just too f*&^%%n funny. Your post ( #7 ) in the Sepulveda Basin thread has to be one of the best if not the best post on this site.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:43 AM
randall1959
My Feedback: (11)

This isn't really on topic but I'd still like to share it here. I came home on leave from basic training in the Navy. One night we were sitting at the dinner table and I asked my mom to pass the Fn salt. All I remember seeing is this HUGE hand coming toward my nose at near supersonic speed and then the lights went out momentarily. [X(] When I came to my senses my dad was standing over me telling me to never use that word again in front of my mother. When I informed him that he used that word regularly he replied "It's MY house". Kinda hard to argue with that kind of logic.
So having said that, I remind myself when at the field that it's not really MY field. It belongs to the club and I have a duty to respect the feelings of others. If I don't I'm free to go elsewhere.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:51 AM
BasinBum

Thanks, I'm here all week tell your friends..........

Actually my best work was in [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1459952/anchors_1459952/mpage_1/key_saw%252Csomething%252Cfield%252Ctoday/anchor/tm.htm#1459952]THIS[/link]thread.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:10 PM
Bruno Stachel
My Feedback: (4)

Randall1959,

I had the same experience, except I called my mom a liar at the dinner table. We were just joking around. Mom was sitting to my right and Dad to the left. Mom said something silly like, "I saw turtles flying today". I looked her way and said, "Liar!" I didn't see it comming. All I saw where stars, then the ceiling! Ouch![sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 06-03-2005, 05:57 PM
ben flyn

ORIGINAL: BasinBum

Thanks, I'm here all week tell your friends..........

Actually my best work was in [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1459952/anchors_1459952/mpage_1/key_saw%252Csomething%252Cfield%252Ctoday/anchor/tm.htm#1459952]THIS[/link]thread.
YOU ARE RIGHT! That was funny!!!!!!!!
Old 06-03-2005, 10:22 PM
AirPatrol
My Feedback: (1)

Hello,
Im bored and i was reading through the site. I stumbled across this thread and was reading many people's views on the ORIGINAL topic. I am 13, not the youngest one at the feild but one of them. Speaking for myself and being in Middle school, myself and my peirs are all mature enough to hear this type of language. I think since this thread is about kids hearing this "profanity" , I think you need a youngin' view. I know i can handly hearing this type of language, especially when someone's plane goes down. Someone's 95" Yak went down. Thousands of dollars invested and i did hear a "OH S*@&" pop out. Of course you're gonna hear that. As for younger ones, if you dont want them hearing it then lock them in a room and close them off from the modern day world. Radio, TV, real life situations, its gonna be there. It can't be stopped. I agree with the pessimists of the topic but unfortuantly, no one can stop the radio and TV from putting there stuff on the air. Some of the guys in this thread sound like the" Mommy mommy, he just said a naughty word" type of guys. people now a days are maturing way faster becuase kids are being educated about things a lot earlier. ya, the F word being used in every sentence is unexceptable but otherwise, i think of it as all part of the english language. There isn't a law against it so i think people being mature about it and thinking about it as expressing your feelings is the only thing to do. Me being a kid and expriencing a young teens life, im being exposed to a lot of stuff. If u don't want your kids going to the feild later in there life becuase u dont want them to learn anything bad, they are just going to run into bad things later in life (middle school age). Just tell them to ignore it if it is a problem becuase no matter what they will be saying it a lil bit down the road.

thats my 5 cents
Old 06-03-2005, 10:41 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

ORIGINAL: GrnBrt

415. Any of the following persons shall be punished by imprisonment
in the county jail for a period of not more than 90 days, a fine of
not more than four hundred dollars ($400), or both such imprisonment
and fine:
(1) Any person who unlawfully fights in a public place or
challenges another person in a public place to fight.
(2) Any person who maliciously and willfully disturbs another
person by loud and unreasonable noise.
(3) Any person who uses offensive words in a public place which
are inherently likely to provoke an immediate violent reaction.

Just a little food for thought - from the California Penal Code.

Oh does that ever sound familiar! I hated rolling on 415's as you sure din't know what to expect, right Trent?
Now my take on this whole thing is this, why does a person even need descriptive adjectives? If one is unable to communicate their thoughts using decent language then why even open their mouths? Yes I use to cuss a lot especially when in the Army but you know I found out that I can get my point across just as well using plain everyday words, ok flame suit is on!
For those that are wondering, Art and I both worked as Deputy Sheriffs in Kern County - but we didn't "meet" until RCOnline. We teamed up on an early version of "pay it forward" involving a Trainer Art had, a radio and engine I had, and a young man named Radley.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:39 PM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Wow Trent talk about going back a bit and the memories. Now Radley from what I can tell turned out pretty good and became a good flier but all the went to hell when he met, shall I even say it??? the opposite sex![X(][X(]
Cal-14 is 10-10!
Old 06-04-2005, 04:03 AM
AgCat1982

Here you go, guys! A thirteen year old agrees with you one hundred percent! It's great! He is really wise, I mean, if you don't want your kids to hear this stuff then lock them up in a room forever! Otherwise, bring it on and hold back nothing! It is an amazing time in which we live. The kids recommending to the adults what is or is not good for them! We should all listen and learn from the wise while we can. Decency and respect? Forget it! These really are such silly ideas and they have no place in our society any longer.

I see now just how ridiculous my thinking has been! Please forgive me for being the odd ball.

I can hardly wait for the future!
Old 06-04-2005, 08:25 AM
BasinBum

Agcats,
You make it sound like an all or nothing situation. The kid (who displayed a fairly coherant post especially for his age) just stated the way things are from his perspective. I'll give in on the respect portion of your posts and that in many situations at the field, such as when women and children are around, that using foul language is disrepectful to your fellow flyers with families present. But, when you go on about decency and how things are differant than in the good old days you lose me and sound like an old fart. Kids thinking they know more than their parents is not a new concept and wishing for the good old days is a sure sign of getting old.

Decency is a very personal thing that means differant things to large groups of people and imposing your version of decency is one of the most indecent things in my opinion. Complaing about language in the media or anything of a prurient nature is a very American puritanical notion which the Europeans laugh at us for. It's perfectly exceptable to cheer for violence as in boxing or football yet an expression of love or the showing of a natural body is considered harmful to our youth. Swear words and lewd conversation aren't going to corrupt young people yet violence and desensitizing video games are given as presents during the holidays.

People tend to mostly remember the good things about their youth and block out the bad leading for a yearning for the good old days. Me, I like my new computer radio and being able to discuss these topics on the Internet. You can go watch I love Lucy on your B&W TV if it makes you happy.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:31 PM
randall1959
My Feedback: (11)

When I was in boot camp, our company commander asked if there was anyone who had never smoked or drank or cussed. A few hands went up and his reply was "You will".
For the last twenty two years I have been working in a factory. Usually when someone is hired off the street you won't hear much cussing out of them, but it tends to pick up after that. Sometimes I'd swear I could tell you how long someone has worked there by the amount of Fn in their language [X(] We're talking about middle aged people here and not kids.
The kids pick up what they learn from us. There isn't any other way it can happen. Cussing has been around since ancient days. People say sometimes that they long for the good old days, but there have been times in history when the amount of vulgar grammar has far exceded what we use today even. The Victorian era changed all that. That was really the time in society where rules of ettiquette and language were refined and strongly enforced.
It's my oppinion that we are merely regressing back to pre victorian morals and attitudes. If you get angry everytime you hear a curse word in public, I'm afraid it's either let it go over your head or prepare to be angry a lot for a very long time.