Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

hearing protection - child size - not only for RC use...

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

hearing protection - child size - not only for RC use...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 02:02 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hearing protection - child size - not only for RC use...

Hey Folks....

There is a wealth of knowledge out here.... seems like a good place for an official "daddy" question. Some of you folks into motor sports, rifles, shooting and such might be good sources.

My daughter (5) enjoys going to the speedway with me on occation (sprints, latemodels, etc). In general, it is LOUD ..... which for a child is generally not good, and she does not like it 'that' loud. (not that its good for me either, but thats another post .... )

Last season "we" tried using the standard foamie ear plugs, and also some u-frame foamie hearing protectors that I prefer when pylon racing. They work ok, but they tend to be too-large for a smaller child's ear, and the frame type and ear muffs were just plain too big to fit well. Plus, being a kid, the ear plugs end up coming in and out fairly often, which ads to the 'experience'. Those foamies coming in and out too often, ends up just getting dirt and stuff down in the ear too.

I seek a good alternative. Ear muffs might be a better solution, but the smallest one's I have found were more for the 7-8-9 year old size head. Other foamie plugs, that fit better are also a consideration.

Does anyone know of a source for either a decent set of 'child' size ear muffs, or a company that makes child/youth size foamie inserts ??

I am looking for something that will be comfortable for her to wear, and also fairly easy to deal with.

Bonus here, is once found, it can also be used around my engine-test-bench and some of the planes too. Never hurts to get them started off right

Any suggestions...... ????

Bob Brassell
Old 06-07-2005, 02:39 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: hearing protection - child size - not only for RC use...

Bob, my favorite shooting supply place is Midway. Great web site, lots of stuff, and quick shipping. They're at www.midwayusa.com . I'm sure they have some good choices for you and your little one.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:00 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

I keep a pair of these things http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=619900 near the engine test stand, and on my head while running engines. I never used to do this until I started breaking in a K&B 3.5 FIRE. The first time I ran it (with header but no pipe) my ears were ringing for hours. They're very light, fairly effective, and can be worn with the band on top of the head or hanging down. Since they are not covering the ear, I find them more comfortable than muffs.

Edit: almost forgot, there's another rather loud activity I participate in that requires plugs when playing indoors. I'll let you figure that one out.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:39 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Try this?

http://amos.shop.com/amos/cc/pcd/902...7731/ccsyn/260
Old 06-07-2005, 04:22 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I cut the foam jobs long ways so they are a little thinner. Also don't shove them in all the way till they touch the grey part! My son has got it down to how far in the hole he likes them. He also likes the muffs, I told him to pretend he was a full scale pilot. He sits there and talks thru the whole race sometimes. People look at us funny when he yells "Dead Stick!" and acts like he is pulling back on the stick.[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 06-08-2005, 10:51 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Check at any local gun show that is in your area.

They will usually have at least one ear doctor making custom ear plugs. Usually run around $30.00. They put some cotton in the ear canal, then inject the putty (latex maybe?). You sit there for about 1/2 an hour and voila, better protection rating than the over the counter muffs, etc.

You can also get them with the electronic sensor activation circuitry, but those run a few hundred.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:36 PM
bob27s

Thanks for the ideas.

I'm trying to avoid earplugs if possible.

Nothing really high-tech is required. Anything in a 15-20 db reduction is fine.

Some of the ear muffs suggested are what we saw at the gun/sports shop.

Still looking around.

Bob
Old 06-09-2005, 09:59 AM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Google to the rescue...... http://www.websoft-solutions.net/kid...pltjunermf.htm

Since the head grows to 80% of the adult size in the first year of life a small adult or child's size ear muffs should do the trick. There probably isn't a whole lot of differance between a 5 year old and 8 year old head, on average.

Did I mention I grew up in Cleveland?
Old 06-09-2005, 10:22 AM
bob27s

Thanks BB.......

Cleveland native huh? You will be please to know that winter officially ended here 10 days ago

Bob