Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Has RCM folded?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 01:56 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Has RCM folded?

ORIGINAL: N1EDM

Does anyone else have any favorite covers? That part of the thread got pretty interesting for a while.

It's made me go back and thumb through some of those old back issues (hey, that's why we keep them (except for the covers)), isn't it?

Most of the articles are now irrelavent, but some of them are still pretty good to re-hash. Don't overlook your stash of old magazines...

Bob
Any cover with Laddie Mikalski's (sp) twin daughters on the cover...I remember the one where they are in the pool...hubba hubba.

I hate to see RCM go under, I watched Laddie's daughters grow up on the covers.

Don
Old 09-27-2005, 06:08 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Give me a date (to look up) and I'll see if I have anything in that era....

Bob
Old 09-27-2005, 06:15 PM
hattend

No way I could provide a date. It would have to have been a decade or more. I think it was when the North Star or Laker was the featured construction article.

BTW: his name is Laddie Mikulasko...not the butchered version I posted.

Don
Old 09-27-2005, 06:36 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

She was dressed in a white swimsuit?

Jerry
Old 09-27-2005, 06:39 PM
hattend

I think so... Can't be sure

Don
Old 09-27-2005, 07:07 PM
N1EDM

I did a little research on the Internet and on the RCM website. There was an article called the AquaBird by Laddie on September 1992. I wonder if that could be the issue.

Does anyone else have that issue and a scanner? I don't have that one in my collection. All I have is July for that year.

Bob
Old 09-27-2005, 07:13 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

[b]Latest on RCM:

I called today, they have sold the magazine itself, and don't know if it will come back as RCM, under a different name, or even if publication will resume.

RCM (the original RCM) is keeping the book publication and plans service going.

Bill.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:19 PM
hattend

Just about all of Laddie's planes were RCM construction articles before they were kitted by Balsa USA. His daughter's were featured on all the covers that featured his planes.

I remember when he said his daughters were "stepping down" as models because they were getting married. I think the one in the pool in the swim suit was the final one. Broke my heart to hear they were off the market, man <sniff>

Don
Old 09-27-2005, 07:23 PM
hattend

ORIGINAL: William Robison

[b]Latest on RCM:

I called today, they have sold the magazine itself, and don't know if it will come back as RCM, under a different name, or even if publication will resume.

RCM (the original RCM) is keeping the book publication and plans service going.

Bill.
Well, darn! I guess we'll never see the construction article on that LearFan that was teased a few issues ago.

Seeing RCM fold is almost as bad as hearing that Carl Goldberg had passed...the RC staples of my life are disappearing.... I'm feeling old again <sigh>

Don
Old 09-27-2005, 07:28 PM
N1EDM

You can see Laddies two daughters on the cover of the April 2002 RCM..... That should be right on the website...

Bob
Old 09-27-2005, 07:35 PM
William Robison

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

[b]The last of LM's daughters I know of was well after they had married, it was the issue with his "Canadian Bug" article, and it was probably the April '02 issue that Bob mentioned.

Bill.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:11 PM
Strykaas

Well, darn! I guess we'll never see the construction article on that LearFan that was teased a few issues ago.
Has anybody any information on this learfan 2100 ? I only saw a picture of it and yes it was teasing !!

http://www.lionheartcreations.com/Le...2100_page.html
Old 09-28-2005, 06:31 PM
lyotchik
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had really been wanting some of the old plans and decided to go ahead, take a chance and try to order them anyway. The order went in two days ago. Today (wednesday, 28 Sep) I received the following message from RCM.

We currently sold the RCM Magagine, the information should be posted on
our website in the next two weeks.
Our plans and books department is still in business.
If you have any further
questions please feel free to contact me.

I'll post again when they come in.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:20 PM
dr_wogz

Curious to know who it was sold to. I can see MAN snatchin it up, to 'ensure' they have little competition.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:40 PM
Boogey Man

I sent RCM money for a subscription in July and have not seen or heard from them. The two times that I've called, I've gotten two different stories as what was going on. Thieves are normally good liars. Oh well learned a lesson.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:19 PM
tailskid

Almostready2fly,

Sorry to hear about your situation.....give them a chance - call'em and ask what they are going to do.

Jerry
Old 09-29-2005, 06:50 PM
Roquewj
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: tailskid

Almostready2fly,

Sorry to hear about your situation.....give them a chance - call'em and ask what they are going to do.

Jerry
Jerry, sorry, I don't get it.

Give them a chance? Who is giving us, the subscribers, any chance? Not even a formal explanation. Not even on their webpage.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:02 PM
tailskid

I'm giving them a chance.....and I have a lot more riding on it than a two year subscription

Jerry
Old 09-29-2005, 08:11 PM
sledge_78
My Feedback: (24)

Jerry,

I feel cheated and lied to. I called them 3 times since June for my issues I subscribed to in May. Each time I got a different story and how I should be patient and wait for my issues to arrive. Never once did they mention their problem. I believe we will never have our funds returned or even acknowledge that they are out of business and you subscribers are out of luck. If they were honorable they would not have accepted my money in the first place. Heck, you can even still subscribe on their web page today. How reputable is that?

Sledge_78
Old 09-30-2005, 09:12 AM
tailskid

I could not agree more with you Sledge_78. They did NOT and are still NOT being up front - for what reason I don't know. They, for some reason, can't be up front.

None the less, (I guess I'm an optimist) think all will work out in the end - for the better.

Jerry
Old 09-30-2005, 11:46 AM
Capgains
My Feedback: (4)

I ordered a subscription in early August. I can see where they debited my account, now this? I called this morning to see what was going on, guess what? Nobody is answering the phone. Yet if you go their web page you can sure order up, and pay for a subscription. This is wrong, I don't care how hush hush and secretive a business deal it is. If they don't have a product to sell, or know the future of their business, they shouldn't keep keep taking money!!!!! It is fraudulent to do so.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:51 PM
pbunn
My Feedback: (1)

I hate to see them called thieves. When you fold, the creditors take over, and the bankruptcy judge decides who gets what. I don't think the staff can do much about it. They were probably the last to know what was going to happen. They are out of work.

It was a great magazine - it just died a natural death. The market for builders is gone.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:01 PM
bruce88123

I'm just glad that there are still some good kits and plan services available to work with. I don't care for the ARF's myself. If someone else does that's fine, but not for me.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:10 PM
Strykaas

The market for builders is gone.
that sucks !

And one more thing that makes me hate those cheap labor countries ...
Old 09-30-2005, 05:44 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

ORIGINAL: Capgains

I ordered a subscription in early August. I can see where they debited my account, now this? I called this morning to see what was going on, guess what? Nobody is answering the phone. Yet if you go their web page you can sure order up, and pay for a subscription. This is wrong, I don't care how hush hush and secretive a business deal it is. If they don't have a product to sell, or know the future of their business, they shouldn't keep keep taking money!!!!! It is fraudulent to do so.
Oooh... that is 'bout as bad as the Enron execs. They knew they were in deep doodoo, yet they said nothing, took you money and ran. Guys... sounds to me like time for a Class Action.

I too felt bad about the passing of a industry icon, but the ex-RCM staff couldn't have handled the downturn in a worse way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.