Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Has RCM folded?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 12:13 AM
Grampaw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Has RCM folded?

Hey Red, I remember the incident wih AMA and Dewey you referred to. AMA was looking for a way to get their monthly Newsletter, (Grid Leaks?) out to it's members. I guess AMA was having money problems, as the membership was increasing. Dewey ran an article one month on how RCM, Man and Flying Models offered to publish the AMA Newsletter on a rotational basis each month, free of charge too. AMA must have had bigger ideas in mind, and turned them down, to hook up with another model magazine out west somewhere (can't remember name). Next thing we knew that magazine began to grow, thanks I'm sure to a good list of potential subscribers from AMA's membershhip list. It was a real shot in the arm for a failing magazine. Dewey probably saw the handwriting on the wall, and that's when he severed all ties, personal and business with the AMA. That magazine later disappeared and the AMA began putting out "Model Aviation" with all AMA members getting a copy each month, paid for with part of their yearly dues. RCM never again gave the AMA any Free Space in the magazine, a practice that went way back as Dewey wanted to help the AMA get their messages out to the modelers. RCM never again ran so much as a blurb for anything AMA was involved in. Dewey, an AMA Life Member, even dropped his long association with AMA. Time marches on and today we all know what a strong influence AMA has become on the modeling industry as a whole, and it seems we are seeing one of the greatest special interest
publications slowly fade away. I was just getting into RC when the first issue of RCM hit the stands. I learned a bunch along the way from it, and now, I just wish I had saved my issues! Grampaw
Old 07-18-2009, 12:44 AM
Riddle4U

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting, and not being anything but an AMA member...I encourage all who have not done so to become a member, and also recieve one of the nicest remaining model magazines! The AMA certainly does support our interests in government, and within the modelling industry as a whole! The included liability insurance isn't a bad thing either; it is only supplemental as I understand. It also includes much more than just R/C which I think is great (free flight of all kinds, control-line, e.t.c.).
Old 07-18-2009, 04:57 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Riddle4U

Interesting, and not being anything but an AMA member...I encourage all who have not done so to become a member, and also recieve one of the nicest remaining model magazines! The AMA certainly does support our interests in government, and within the modelling industry as a whole! The included liability insurance isn't a bad thing either; it is only supplemental as I understand. It also includes much more than just R/C which I think is great (free flight of all kinds, control-line, e.t.c.).
Oh Please!

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 07-18-2009, 05:40 AM
Riddle4U

Not sure what stickbuilder is objecting to, anyone else have an idea? Stickbuilder, if your going to post something like that, have the courage to make whatever statement you disagree with. Does this have something to do with your having a column in RC Report? I don't know...spill it out, I can take it. Otherwise save the hit and run commentary.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:22 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Grampaw,

I don't think it was Dewey's flap with the AMA that did in RCM as much as it was the ineptness of Pat Crews who took over the magazine management at Dewey's untimely death. It was only through the efforts of Dick Kidd that it stayed in business as long as it did. His passing was the passing of RCM IMHO. Pat could care less about RC, she was more interested in the other Magazine that came out of the same offices, a magazine dedicated to tropical fish, can't recall the name. Something like "Aquarium" maybe.

On the other-hand, RCM was a big supporter of Sport Flyers of America, giving them free space to promote their program in competition with the AMA. Pat Crews hated the AMA, left over from Dewey days, I guess. She worked closely with Elliott Jannss, SFA principle, it plotting against the AMA. I know this from working in the RCM booth at several Toledo shows. When this became obvioius to AMA members it could have had some impact on the magazines circulation.

ORIGINAL: Grampaw

Hey Red, I remember the incident wih AMA and Dewey you referred to. AMA was looking for a way to get their monthly Newsletter, (Grid Leaks?) out to it's members. I guess AMA was having money problems, as the membership was increasing. Dewey ran an article one month on how RCM, Man and Flying Models offered to publish the AMA Newsletter on a rotational basis each month, free of charge too. AMA must have had bigger ideas in mind, and turned them down, to hook up with another model magazine out west somewhere (can't remember name). Next thing we knew that magazine began to grow, thanks I'm sure to a good list of potential subscribers from AMA's membershhip list. It was a real shot in the arm for a failing magazine. Dewey probably saw the handwriting on the wall, and that's when he severed all ties, personal and business with the AMA. That magazine later disappeared and the AMA began putting out ''Model Aviation'' with all AMA members getting a copy each month, paid for with part of their yearly dues. RCM never again gave the AMA any Free Space in the magazine, a practice that went way back as Dewey wanted to help the AMA get their messages out to the modelers. RCM never again ran so much as a blurb for anything AMA was involved in. Dewey, an AMA Life Member, even dropped his long association with AMA. Time marches on and today we all know what a strong influence AMA has become on the modeling industry as a whole, and it seems we are seeing one of the greatest special interest
publications slowly fade away. I was just getting into RC when the first issue of RCM hit the stands. I learned a bunch along the way from it, and now, I just wish I had saved my issues! Grampaw
Old 07-18-2009, 06:35 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned

Not sure what stickbuilder is objecting to, anyone else have an idea? Stickbuilder, if your going to post something like that, have the courage to make whatever statement you disagree with. Does this have something to do with your having a column in RC Report? I don't know...spill it out, I can take it. Otherwise save the hit and run commentary.
Stickbuilder has pretty well spelled it out in a number of posts on the AMA forum starting with this one.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=8527442
Old 07-18-2009, 10:45 AM
GSNut
My Feedback: (8)

I remember RCM as the go to magazine as all the advertizers had to submit their products for the
Tested, Approved and Recommened RCM Seal. Which alot of RC'ers and Manufacturers put their faith into, as I did.

Now the only place you can find the truth is here at RC Universe. It's too bad that the advertisers have control of the Magazines. Including M.A. so it's Buyer Beware as it is all about the $$$.$$ even at the A.M.A!

Figure it out if you don't have a subscription base you can't sell the ads. If you can't sell ads then you are out of business. MONEY RULES "Frengie rules of Acquisition"

BTW:

Grid Leaks never was of the AMA...(they only wish it was)

It was the brain child of PAUL F. RUNGE (Ace RC) and was first published
In November of 1957. It was a bi-monthly publication, and was the LIFE-BLOOD of all electronic experimenters attempting to fly radio Control airplanes at that time.

http://www.gridleaks.roguebay.com/

Doug
Old 07-18-2009, 11:00 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned

ORIGINAL: GSNut
BTW: Grid Leaks never was the brain child of the AMA...(they only wish it was)
Who ever said that Grid Leaks was the brain child of the AMA? Just curious.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:25 PM
GSNut
My Feedback: (8)

Check your own post #1501 in Grampaw's Quote..... (Grid Leaks ?)

I took that as a question due to the question mark (?) of course I have been wrong before!

So What ?

Cheers Red, Have a nice day!

Doug
Old 07-18-2009, 12:41 PM
Stickbuilder

My comment has nothing whatsoever to do with any column (mine or anyone elses) in any other magazine. My comment has to do with what you had to say concerning the AMA's magazine. The contents got so bad that I finally asked to stop receiving it. We found out about 3 months ago that one can contact the AMA and they will stop mailing the magazine to you. Saves a trip to the trash can.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 07-18-2009, 12:58 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

ORIGINAL: GSNut

Check your own post #1501 in Grampaw's Quote..... (Grid Leaks ?)

I took that as a question due to the question mark (?) of course I have been wrong before!

So What ?

Cheers Red, Have a nice day!

Doug
In the interest of history:

1. Grid Leaks was never associated in any way with the AMA.

2. AMA newsletter was published for some time in a magazine known as American Modeler.

'American Modeler'

'American Modeller' was originally 'Air Trails', but it underwent a re-design in late 1955 and emerged as a scale modelling magazine. It covered a wide range of subjects - including cars, trains and aircraft. The contents comprised feature articles and plan drawings. Initially monthly, a change to bi-monthly publication occurred in early 1963, but reverted back to monthly at the start of 1967. It evolved into the monthly 'American Aircraft Modeler', which included flying model aircraft but ceased publication in March 1975. It then became resurrected as 'RC Sportsman', a tabloid/newsprint publication which continued monthly until May 1978. Eventually, The Academy of Model Aeronautics, which had its newsletter published in 'American Modeler', started it's own publication: Model Aviation. 'American Modeler' normally comprised 66 pages in each issue.

Model Aviation has been published in one form or another since 1936. I have a copy of it in .pdf format if anyone is interested. It gives you some insight into what modeling was 70 years ago.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55172.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	1239073  
Old 07-18-2009, 02:52 PM
Riddle4U

Stickbuilder, I don't have any gripe with you..I just would have appreciated a more thoughtful response than your first. I have been an AMA member for almost every year since 1969. I realize some may have been involved since the invention of the airplane. I am not a big fan of foamies and the toy crap either, so we have similar disappointments with the entire hobby as it stands now. I somewhat accept though that times have changed and it is hard to get young people involved in model aviation at all anymore. When I was 16 and flying my new Hobie Hawk at what later became our club field, there were a lot of grumpy old men that rarely flew..constantly criticized the young (twentys or so) guys doing aerobatics with their sweet sticks, e.t.c. They did more complaining than flying. I think MA is really relatively good (better than MAN). I know you seem to not like MA for some reason, and throw it in the trash, apparently. Just realize that is your opinion. I like the varied interest group format, and they are the only mag that covers all of model aviation and not just profile electric stunt toys. I don't do control-line combat or indoor rubber free-flight..but I enjoy reading and learning about other interests. That is healthy! I still am not sure what you find so disaggreable about the publication other than you hate having it included in your membership and/or paying for it. I think it is fine for you to be able to opt out. The membership fee has not even gone up as fast as inflation from what I can discern. Maybe each of us can think of ways the magazine could suit our own personal interests more, but it is a wide-targeted format for all AMA members and not just R/C Scale, or Sailplane for instance (which would be my personal interests).
Best regards
Old 07-18-2009, 08:19 PM
Stickbuilder

Stickbuilder, I don't have any gripe with you..I just would have appreciated a more thoughtful response than your first. I have been an AMA member for almost every year since 1969. I realize some may have been involved since the invention of the airplane. I am not a big fan of foamies and the toy crap either, so we have similar disappointments with the entire hobby as it stands now. I somewhat accept though that times have changed and it is hard to get young people involved in model aviation at all anymore. When I was 16 and flying my new Hobie Hawk at what later became our club field, there were a lot of grumpy old men that rarely flew..constantly criticized the young (twentys or so) guys doing aerobatics with their sweet sticks, e.t.c. They did more complaining than flying. I think MA is really relatively good (better than MAN). I know you seem to not like MA for some reason, and throw it in the trash, apparently. Just realize that is your opinion. I like the varied interest group format, and they are the only mag that covers all of model aviation and not just profile electric stunt toys. I don't do control-line combat or indoor rubber free-flight..but I enjoy reading and learning about other interests. That is healthy! I still am not sure what you find so disaggreable about the publication other than you hate having it included in your membership and/or paying for it. I think it is fine for you to be able to opt out. The membership fee has not even gone up as fast as inflation from what I can discern. Maybe each of us can think of ways the magazine could suit our own personal interests more, but it is a wide-targeted format for all AMA members and not just R/C Scale, or Sailplane for instance (which would be my personal interests).
Best regards
This has already been covered and recovered in other threads until I'm reasonably sure that everyone is tired of hearing about it. I don't mind paying for it, I just did not want to receive it. Never was a question of money.

Bill, AMA 4720
Bottom Feeder #1
Old 07-18-2009, 10:10 PM
Riddle4U

This has already been covered and recovered in other threads until I'm reasonably sure that everyone is tired of hearing about it. I don't mind paying for it, I just did not want to receive it. Never was a question of money.
Stickbuilder, I have been a member of RCU for two years and you for four. I have 550 posts and you have nearly 7000. It seems you can tire people to death with your opinions and then decide when you think conversation stops. You say "..I'm reasonably sure that everyone is tired of hearing about it". Apparently you can post your lights out, and then decide when you think someone's post is "tiring". I think I spend too much time on RCU instead of building or flying. Maybe some self-examination is in order for you? This has been a pretty light-hearted thread until recently. I try to keep it positive, and criticize in a constructive manor when appropriate for the most part.

Now does anyone have a nice RCM cover we haven't seen?
Old 07-18-2009, 11:14 PM
iron eagel

How about a nice summer theme...
Hopefully N1EDM has not beat me to the draw on this one.

Edit to add:
look at some of the articles listed in this copy...
We lost one fine publication !!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68065.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	1239568  
Old 07-19-2009, 12:00 AM
Riddle4U

Thanks Iron Eagle. Great to get back to our group reminiscence. I just caught up on this whole MA hubbub from Red's link above today. Gawd, I didn't know how peacefull it is in here! I just had no idea of what talk goes on in other parts of RCU. No wonder Stick says it was a worn issue I brought up. I Don't spend too much time on these other threads I guess. I had no idea people were spending so much time on some issues.
I just pulled out a couple RCM's from storage, wish I had kept more! It was a great publication for sure at one time. I wonder if somehow between all of us, we could at least resurrect a "virtual RCM", at least consisting of as many magazines we can come up with, and reproducing them in some manner? I don't know what copyright law extends to defunct businesses? The library of congress has all sorts of everything, why couldn't someone produce a compendium ( I hope that is the correct word) of RCM's for posterity. There is just so much great material historically, in there, that should NOT be lost to future modelers. Some of it is still contemporarily useful, and other stuff is neat history. Just a thought. The covers we like! The content even more importantly shouldn't be lost forever!

I should add that having read the above link related to MA, that I at least now get some of the controversies. For me, I just get the mag and I for one enjoy reading it nearly cover to cover (yea, my problem, I know). I do respect Sticks' opinions, though I disagree, having read through a portion of that above linked thread. I hope I can reference MA in my future ramblings though, on appropriate occasion? I didn't realize it was so controversial? I am flying models tomorrow...so got to do a preflight on the plane now. Happy landings, all
Old 07-19-2009, 05:47 AM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks Iron Eagel, that was one that I hadn't seen... good one!! Is that mag for sale???

RIddle, you just had a germ of an idea. What if someone could take RCM, issue by issue, and pull out all the pertinent articles and columns that would still read good today. I don't mean the articles that were only pertinent when the issue was published (i.e., kit reviews of out-of-production planes, etc.), but the technical columns, etc.

Just a thought...

Bob
Old 07-19-2009, 06:16 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned

ORIGINAL: N1EDM

RIddle, you just had a germ of an idea. What if someone could take RCM, issue by issue, and pull out all the pertinent articles and columns that would still read good today. I don't mean the articles that were only pertinent when the issue was published (i.e., kit reviews of out-of-production planes, etc.), but the technical columns, etc.

Just a thought...

Bob
And a good idea. Maybe some are not aware of it but Model Aviation has a searchable archive covering MA Magazines from 1975 through 2000 and will probably be expanding that to cover more years.

I note also that there are a number of back issues of RC Modeler for sale on e-Bay. Somewhat pricey at around $12/copy including shipping.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:56 PM
N1EDM

Hi Red,

I second your suggestion about searching the MA archives. I use it all the time. A lot of good stuff there.

I've also been able to 'score' some vintage RCM out on eBay but I kinda draw the line at $12 an issue.. but every once in a while a nice deal pops up.

Bob
Old 07-19-2009, 08:46 PM
Riddle4U

Bob, Red, I think we should establish a register with someone that would volunteer. When people post here let's ask if they would volunteer a run down on what year and months of RCM they own. I just went to my storage area, and found maybe fifteen over '95, '96, 97', 98' one 04' and I got the '76 with Robert Conrad when I ordered the Samurai plans from that issue (there is a little Baa Baa Blacksheep bit in that favorite issue). I would actually just like to get the issues scanned and available non-profit (cost of material duplication). If there are any legal issues, let's look into it. I don't see a major problem, but we should be reasonably careful. I think when or if we get a good solid representation of at least one year's scanned (including everything on each page), someone can burn a CD of it all. Just starting a register of what issues we have in hand would be an interesting start?
Old 07-19-2009, 11:56 PM
ctdahle

I think it would be wonderful if the magazine was scanned and became available on cd rom, but you guys need to besure that the copyright holder approves. It's not just a matter of getting permission from whoever owns the rights to the magazine itself. Probably the authors have some rights as well. Because many of the articles that appear in the magazine were written before the rise of computers, each author may have some rights that didn't even exist when the article was originally published, rights not addressed in the original contracts.

My knowledge of intellectual property law would barely fill a thimble, but it seems to me that the best way this could be handled would be as a project of the AMA museum. Collection, preservation and dissemination of the information in the old issues for non-profit, educational purposes could fit within the eleemosynary role of the AMA.

If historic issues of modeling publications are in the museum's collection, then preserving them by digitizing them would be a worthwhile project, and once digitized, the issues could then be made available to students and researchers trying to recover and record the story of the development of Das Ugly Stik, for example.

That's actually a project that might encourage me to give an extra donation to the AMA. Imagine if they could make old issues of Air Trials, Model Builder, AAM, et c. available to historians of the hobby.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:02 AM
Stickbuilder

Stickbuilder, I have been a member of RCU for two years and you for four. I have 550 posts and you have nearly 7000. It seems you can tire people to death with your opinions and then decide when you think conversation stops. You say ''..I'm reasonably sure that everyone is tired of hearing about it''. Apparently you can post your lights out, and then decide when you think someone's post is ''tiring''. I think I spend too much time on RCU instead of building or flying. Maybe some self-examination is in order for you? This has been a pretty light-hearted thread until recently. I try to keep it positive, and criticize in a constructive manor when appropriate for the most part.

Now does anyone have a nice RCM cover we haven't seen?
And how many of your 550 were dedicated to helping and/or answering questions that other members asked? Since you are so bent on how many posts have made and by whom, maybe you would like to do a little more research before making a blanket statement such as you made. Check, and you will find many responses from me in the beginners, ARF, Scale, Kit building, Questions and Answers, Tips and techniques and last, but not least the Golden Age, Vintage and Antique forums.

I don't make posts and then ask for the thread to be closed. That normally occurs when the thread gets into a whizzing contest. When something that I don't agree with is posted, I have no compunction against calling it out. When something noteworthy is posted, I am just as quick to give my agreement. Can you say the same?

What, if anything do you give back to the hobby?

The reason that I made the comment about everybody being tired of this topic, is that there were several threads that ran their course on this topic, and everyone was happy when they were either shut down by the Moderators, or just ran out of steam.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 07-20-2009, 05:24 AM
Riddle4U

You know, I think your AMA museum idea is pretty good! I was just kind of thinking a low key thing (non-profit, share it around informally). As I said, I thought since this is The RCM thread here, it would be the best way to at least gather up as many examples of each issue and try to see what total resource we have between us. Someone would just kind of "check off" each issue as it was accounted for amongst us all. We could do that pretty quick and have it available (the searchable archive is also not beyond reach). Longer term it would be great if AMA had more services available, and products of archival/historical nature (like the National Air & Space museum does). Thanks ctdahle! You bring up good information or thoughts on legalities too. I think in very small scale (just, say us here), it isn't much problem to informally throw something together (paricularly with a defunct publication).

I am just recently bummed that I can't even get the nice little bound AMA Competition Rulebook booklet. It is a nice handy size (or was)...now you either print your own 8.5 x 11 or have them send you loose 3 hole of same size. I personally don't like to have to read online, and frankly would rather read anything paper bound (easier on my eyes too), that I can physically flip through..just me. A rulebook is something that may often be reffered to at outdoor or other events, and it just makes sense to at least have a handy little size like they used to. Oh well...all "progress" isn't good.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:39 PM
N1EDM

It'd take a while but I'll bet that betwee the three of us we have almost all the RCM issues... I'd LOVE to find Volume 1, Issue 1 :-)

Making the magazine available for free would be great but even if that wasn't workable (Copyrights, etc.), I'd bet that there would be an customer base for reprints, albeit relatively small. Then, when folks started talking this up at their local Field the customer base might grow. I'd never expect it to be back where it was in its heyday (pre-Internet and before it became just another advertisement rag) but I'd bet that it would be solid.

I wonder who owns the rights????

Bob
Old 07-20-2009, 05:15 PM
Live Wire

I will bet I have a few of them

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.