Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 70 of 75 FirstFirst ... 20606869707172 ... LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,750 of 1858

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Has RCM folded?

Wouldn't it be nice to have a complete set of RCM's on DVD's
    To the current owner of the copywrite (is it the people who run the RCM Plans service?)
    if those of us interested were to copy say 12 copies and send the files to you, would you
    be interested. As a reward for doing the copying the copier would get a free(plus handling costs) set.
    The owner would then have a complete set of digital copies to sell as complete sets, year sets or single copies.
    I did a test and to copy 100 pages takes about 1.5 hrs
    Flame guards on!!!!!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'd love to have all my old RCM issues. Unfortunately I had to leave them behind when I moved out of my dad's houseand was never able to go back and get them. Would especially like the Dec. 1988 issue as I really want to build the Spacewalker.
    Tarasdad
    Club Saito #680; Saito FA91 (2), FA80; Fox .50, .25, .19; Apprentice; Tiger 60, Sup. Chipmunk; Spirit

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Tarasdad, I have multiple copies of many of the issues. If you're still interested in that issue,let me know and i'll check to see if I have that one and I'll send it to you. Mike.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well after being away from r/c for over 15 years I am just coming back so I thought I would subscribe to a few mags and get back into the current happenings... but when I started looking around for my favorite magazines I came upon this thread I can't believe RCM is gone...it's just hard to believe if I had to pick which mags would be around for the next fifty years I would have picked them. Anyways I just finished reading through this whole thread (took a while) and I have to say I am really gonna miss those covers... along with the articles.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, considering that this started in July 2005 and hung on for so long, I think that it's a testament to the type of magazine that RCM used to be. A concensus on this thread is that a magazine like RCM would (for want of a better word) fly again, but perhaps to a more selective readership. RC Report left us in early 2010, as well.

Modelers consider many other magazines today as beomg not much more than a 'catalog' - full of product reviews and shallow on technical content. Some folks consider the reviews as meaningless nowadays and call them an "Everything's Perfect Review" because they can find no fault, or merely minimize it.

We all miss the informative articles from the Core writers that the magazine had.

I wonder if any of the regulars would like to chime in here and give their reactions. We keep hoping that someone with magazine know-how will pick up the gauntlet and try to recreate the magazine once again.

What would your opinion be of something like that? And, welcome back to the hobby.

Bob
    Club Saito #61 Cub Brotherhood #107
    Spitfire Brotherhood #143
    Kadet Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am all for it and would subscribe in a minute. I hope it does happen. Like you said, most magazines now are just catalogs and should be free.

Richard/Club Saito #635

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This weekend I cleaned out a closet that had all my magazines stored and have been reading through the old RCMs and it has really helped me getting re-energized in the hobby. I also have a few years of recent Fly RC and MAN. Fly RC seemed about gliders and electrics and MAN is now one big buyers guide. RCM seemed to have a variety, a mix, of different material that the current mags just cannot seem to incorporate.
    If you love your plane, set it free, if it doesn\'\'t return, you should have checked the battery.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am constantly going back to my old RCM's. That library gets active use all the time. Quite often, someone online will reference an article and more often than not, I have that article and can go to it to read about something. Then, for the fun of it, I'll keep thumbing through the issue to see what was current and what was news at the time of the writing. They had a really exceptional score of writers there.

I get a lot of education from some of those mags - I'm not going to let 'em go, but I am starting to work on a 'spare' stash that I might be able to sell someday.

Bob
    Kadet Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

N1EDM & scottrc, Consider yourselves fortunate to still have all that valuable info right there at your fingertips... so far I have only been able to dig up one issue sept.94'... not sure where they all went []

I have also been reading in this thread quite a bit and also think it would be really great if someone took and started up a mag like RCM was or even restarted RCM!, well I can always dream right....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

We keep hoping that someone in a position to do so is reading this thread and finding out what modelers really want.... I think that this would bury the other magazines.

Bob
    Kadet Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It sure would.
    What ever happened to them doing something online?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Paul,

I don't believe that RCM was ever going to do anything on line. I wonder if you are thinking about RC Report??

Bob
    Kadet Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bob,
    Your right it was RC report, my mistake.
    They didn't last too long, which surprised me.
    The problem is we need a good quality magazine that isn't a catalog, or sugarcoats its reviews.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My ultimate Christmas/birthday/anniversary/insertoccasionhere gift - a complete set of RCM bound editions.
    Tarasdad
    Club Saito #680; Saito FA91 (2), FA80; Fox .50, .25, .19; Apprentice; Tiger 60, Sup. Chipmunk; Spirit

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah, and a copy of the Annual Index for every year, too!! Good thought to have, Tarasdad....

Bob
    Kadet Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It's my opinion that the British publications are far better then the dumb downed American publications. The articles are better and seem to be written for a more intelligent audience as well. Or at least written at what use to be a high school level, not the grade school level as the American publications. I'd love to hear what others think as well for I'd like to know if I'm the only one who feels this way.
    Jim...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Tarasdad

My ultimate Christmas/birthday/anniversary/insertoccasionhere gift - a complete set of RCM bound editions.
    My Ultimate wish is for a complete set RCM editions in DVD format. Less storage space and easy to search.

Les

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'd like to see Volume 1, Issue 1, Les. Those first issues would be very interesting to peruse.

As for the British publications, I have to agree but their cost, at least for the ones that I have seen, is extraordinary. What prices have you seen?

Bob
    Kadet Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

In order to have a magazine like RCM used to be you need to have authors that design and build things. Only the Chinese are doing that now.
    What are the magazines going to publish now besides reviews?
    dirty old men need love too.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: N1EDM

... I have to agree but their cost, at least for the ones that I have seen, is extraordinary. What prices have you seen?

Bob
    They're generally in the $10 range. I do agree that they are expensive. But I judge price based on number of articles that I want to read before I purchase any magazine. In the American publications, the prices are generally in the $7 range, but when you factor in that there's generally at most, one article that I would like to read, that makes the price very expensive base on $s per article price. But in the British publications, there's sometimes three or four articles that I want to read, so that brings down the price per article (can you guess that I'm an engineer bases on the way my mind works ;-). So that brings down the price when you consider that I'll get an hour or two of enjoyable reading from a British publication were as I generally get about 20 minutes from an American publication. It's all in how you judge value.
    Jim...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: JimInCA

... I have to agree but their cost, at least for the ones that I have seen, is extraordinary. What prices have you seen?

Bob
    ... It's all in how you judge value.
    Jim...

These forums are free and I am often entertianed for hours by them. That's how I judge value. Entertainment divided by cost equals value: E/$ = V = Infinity

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: spaceworm

ORIGINAL: JimInCA

Bob
    ... It's all in how you judge value.
    Jim...

These forums are free and I am often entertianed for hours by them. That's how I judge value. Entertainment divided by cost equals value: E/$ = V = Infinity
    The forums are not free. The costs are simply paid for by the advertisers. The magazines would be all ads/Classified under a similar cost structure.
    3-D is for Monster Movies

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: bruce88123

The forums are not free. The costs are simply paid for by the advertisers. The magazines would be all ads/Classified under a similar cost structure.
    [/quote]

They are free to me, unlike the magazines that are really all "ads/Classified" anyway! [8D]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think that we're getting away form the purpose of this thread. I wonder if it would be possible to run a magazine with no ads??

Bob
    Kadet Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think that we're getting away form the purpose of this thread. I wonder if it would be possible to run a magazine with no ads??

Bob
    Who would pay the staff and production costs? Whether print or Internet, they all have associated expenses. I think the subscription costs would be prohibitive without ads/sponsors.
    3-D is for Monster Movies

Page 70 of 75 FirstFirst ... 20606869707172 ... LastLast