Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Has RCM folded?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 09:51 AM
catboater
My Feedback: (51)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has RCM folded?

Anyone know what's going on over at RCM? I've received 2 issues of Model Aviation since the last issue of RCM I got. The March/April issue they sent out was pretty slim so it looks like advertisers are not renewing thier ads.
It's too bad. I really enjoy Clarence Lee's colum.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:00 AM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Has RCM folded?

their website shows a june issue up there.

www.rcmmagazine.com
Old 07-02-2005, 10:02 AM
Phlip

I don't subscribe, but it looks healthy on their website.[link=http://www.rcmmagazine.com/e/env/0001bIUf25v20eIVfA2H4y0/index.html?link=/index.html]http://www.rcmmagazine.com/e/env/0001bIUf25v20eIVfA2H4y0/index.html?link=/index.html[/link]
Old 07-02-2005, 01:13 PM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have both the May and June issues - not July yet. And, yes - the sure seem smaller than they used to be.

Paul
Old 07-02-2005, 01:39 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

RCM seems to have reduced the number of pages. I heard that Jim Pearson (technical editor) will be leaving by the end of the year. As far as I know he was the only one on the staff with any modelingg knowledge. Also heard that they sold off Aquarium Magazine that they also published. Competition for advertisers is brutal. Survival in today's environment may be more than Pat Crews can pull off. Then again she may just be tired of the whole thing and wants out.
Old 07-02-2005, 03:06 PM
Ed

They won't be getting my subscription money again.

> Jim
Old 07-02-2005, 03:07 PM
Joe Ortiz
My Feedback: (75)

Sad, RCM is the reason I'm into RC, been reading it since the early 80's, and your right about the magazine being slim, maybe it's due to the South Beach Internet Diet
Old 07-03-2005, 08:12 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

I have been a subscriber for over 17 years. My renewal always comes up in November, with the January issue of the following year.

When I called to inquire about my missing June issue, I was informed that my subscription had expired with the May issue. The lady was "quite sure" this was accurate. Its not, but I knew arguing would be futile. She did say that, as an acknowledgement of my long-time subscriptions, etc., etc., ad nauseum, she would send me a June issue issue along with a renewal slip.

I got the renewal notice, but no June issue...

I too have noticed the magazine getting thinner and thinner, with a commensurate reduction in editorial content. That is, more ads and less information.

Think I'll move on. RCM was the last hold-out among my modeling magazine subscriptions. The AMA mag doesn't count, since one is mandated to receive that as a part of being a member. But, you know what? Model Aviation (the AMA magazine) has improved tremendously over the past few years. I actually read it cover to cover now.

So long, RCM. It was a nice run, but I'm sick and tired of looking at park flyer ads.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:58 AM
IronCross

A few years ago I would have panicked if one of my RC mag subscription was running out.. RCM was at the top of my list for mags.. Now, I don't even plan on renewing it.. The content is no longer there.. Too bad, the end of an era..
Old 07-03-2005, 02:03 PM
BigSkyRCFlyer
My Feedback: (36)

Count me in, also been a long time subscriber for 15+ years or more, I too have noticed the "weak" issues, and problems with missing months. So Long RCM, maybe I'll be back at a later date and pick one up off the news stand from time to time.........
Old 07-03-2005, 02:46 PM
Hircflyer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I started RCM when I started flying RC way back in 1970...............................but I have iqnored the last three renewal notices for all the reasons stated above...............I guess Don's passing has signaled the end of a great era.

Sad!
Old 07-03-2005, 04:26 PM
Prop Nut
My Feedback: (3)

There is still RC Report!

Ok, flame away. (But I do like RC Report, they seem honest)
Old 07-03-2005, 04:36 PM
Joe Ortiz
My Feedback: (75)

What ever happens, I hope the plans service don't go away.

Joe
Old 07-04-2005, 12:57 AM
AgCat1982

I guess that's my luck. I finally subscribed more than a month ago and still no mag. I hope to get it, my self.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:23 PM
planenut1965

Well i have never been a reguler subscriber to the magazine but i do pick one up sometimes at the LHS and read it. but i hate to see a good thing go bad. I get the Model Aviation from AMA every mo and i do injoy a lot of the things thay write about in it.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:19 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

I subscribed for a while... the positive reviews of some of the worst models (Vmar, etc) sent me packing never to return. It is sad to see them having to stoop so low just to snag advertisers, but that is life in the rag business. You can't get advertisers unless you rave about their products. Bash them once and they won't ever be back. I remember reading RCM when I was a kid in the 70's. Back then the Bridi Kaos and Durty Birdy were the rage and I always dreamed of the day I could afford one (I was 12 years old then..) now I'm flying 100+ airplanes with 2 or more cylinder gasoline engines and 10 channel PCM radios... times have changed that is for sure... I usually go for the "wonder years" on many subjects, but in this case, magazines are more or less dead, you can get most everything on line if you have a broadband conneciton and a good computer.... and as far as the progress of our hobby - I'll take today's electronics, engines and airframes over anything that was flown even 5 years ago! !

DP

Old 07-04-2005, 11:15 PM
dr_wogz

yeah, I sub'd too, to RCM. For me, it was really the last hold-out for what I concidered 'the hobby'.

But with the trend, I too am a little tired of all ARFs & Park flyers all the mags now seem to feature (excusively), and the rave reviews that accompany them. The content has been slowly sliding for years, but it still had more words than pictures, for a reasonable price.

I think the instant gratification, and the quick lust of today's 'on demand' society, coupled with the other two big mags (MAN & FLYRC) have forced it's downsizing...

It's a pitty, as I used to be a faithful RC mag guy. Now it's whatever catches my fancy at the magazine shop... RCU seems to be my only RC input, as it is varied, and I find what I want (and stay out of the electric, ARF, and 3D forums!)
Old 07-05-2005, 08:59 AM
LSP972

<<...(and stay out of the electric, ARF, and 3D forums!)..>>

Except for the ARFs, which I enjoy between kit builds, I'm with you 100%. I am fed up with having these little electric toys shoved down my throat, so to speak. Almost every other page of most of these mags has an ad with some individual posing next to a hovering foamie whatever.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:06 AM
IronCross

Glad to hear someone else say that... I subscribed to RC Flyer when it came out thinking it was for glow etc... Seems like half of it is for parkflyers etc... Dropped that one now too... I know the web is giving the mags a run for it but how can thery expect to survive by cuting size and using content a lot of us aren't interested in... Beats me..
Old 07-05-2005, 10:04 AM
Prop Nut

Just an opposing view point, but what if they are catering to the majority of thier readers, what if there are actually (GASP) alot of people that buy and fly parkfliers. I prefer gas engines over park fliers but it is my personal choice. Most LHS's have gone RC car and Parkflyer because that is where the money is for them. Maybe, just maybe that is also where the money is for the RC mags. Remember, they are businesses.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:52 AM
rc crewser

Heck no they have not folded! They are having some internal restructuring and production and printing matters are slowing things up. Be ready for big news and big things from RCM in the near future.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:10 PM
Prop Nut

Sounds like an RCM Ad agent.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:22 PM
LSP972

You're probably correct, prop nut; about the popularity factor, that is. I didn't mean to imply that they're pushing toy electric crap because of some deep conspiracy...

And you're also right about sales; my LHS is selling the heck out of these things. But he isn't allowing his stock on real airplanes & engines to dwindle, either.

I'm just tired of looking at those things, and I'm wondering where all the "how-to" pieces went. We all know you won't ever get a totally unbiased review of anything in a publication that relies on ad revenue. But RCM used to have some really neat articles written by modelers sharing their ideas. So did MAN, back in the 90s.

Anyway... I think I'll take a break from the "glossies" for a while; except for the AMA rag, of course.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:49 PM
Prop Nut

I really enjoy RC Report. They are fair and (I think) honest in thier reviews, as a matter of fact I can think of a couple of reviews that really blasted the manufacturer of a couple of ARFs.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:39 PM
Roby

I'm actually a little surprised that RCM lasted as long as it did

I used to work part time in a LHS and of course I got to see all
the magazines etc. There were perhaps a few good articles from month
to month but not nearly enough to make it worth the price.

It's a little sad but within a few months no one will even miss it.
In a year or two no one will remember it.

That's the way it goes
Roby

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.