Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

What ever happened to the Competitive Fun Fly Airplanes?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

What ever happened to the Competitive Fun Fly Airplanes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 08:09 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

What is the record for the most touch and goes on the clock...?
Old 06-10-2014, 05:31 AM
toprudder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by combatpigg
What is the record for the most touch and goes on the clock...?

I don't know what the record was, but back in the early 80s I did 31 in 3 minutes at one fun-fly with a Martha, a little less than one every 6 seconds. This was not looping, this was flying a figure 8 pattern because of the "turn at least 180 degrees" rule at that particular contest. I'm sure the modern wing-n-stick planes could do this a lot faster, but most of the competitive fun-flys I watched them fly in allowed looping T&Gs, so it is more of an apples-oranges comparison. The best person to ask this question (since he probably holds the record) would be Jerry Smith of Kentucky.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:37 AM
toprudder

Originally Posted by JohnRCox46
You posted about having a Yard Dart kit back in 2003. I'm trying to build one and I'd like to know what the fin and rudder look like. I would appreciate any info you can give me.
If you are talking about me, I did have a Yard-Dart at one time, but don't anymore. I did a quick google search and did not come up with anything immediately. Don't have any photos of it, either. :-(
Old 06-10-2014, 07:37 AM
combatpigg

Originally Posted by toprudder
I don't know what the record was, but back in the early 80s I did 31 in 3 minutes at one fun-fly with a Martha, a little less than one every 6 seconds. This was not looping, this was flying a figure 8 pattern.
That's some frantic, fearless figure 8 flying..!
The loop and bump style of touch and go is also impressive. I think those 2 different styles of touch and goes could have coexisted in the rules as separate events
Old 06-11-2014, 04:56 AM
toprudder

Originally Posted by combatpigg
That's some frantic, fearless figure 8 flying..!
The loop and bump style of touch and go is also impressive. I think those 2 different styles of touch and goes could have coexisted in the rules as separate events
Actually, the 31 that I did were not frantic at all. The trick is to not let the adrenaline take over. Except for the initial takeoff, I don't think I got much over about 1/3 throttle, I just kept it slow and tight. At one local fun-fly, I flew an old 3 channel Kadet and won T&G with it, doing pretty much the same thing.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:14 PM
combatpigg

The best flying plane at a local float plane fly in was a competition style fun flyer rigged with floats. It was too windy for most of the others to fly and this guy / plane was pretty much the whole show that day. He stained the plane's wood and covered it in transparent iron on..so it was also the coolest looking plane out there.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:57 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by toprudder
I don't know what the record was, but back in the early 80s I did 31 in 3 minutes at one fun-fly with a Martha, a little less than one every 6 seconds. This was not looping, this was flying a figure 8 pattern because of the "turn at least 180 degrees" rule at that particular contest. I'm sure the modern wing-n-stick planes could do this a lot faster, but most of the competitive fun-flys I watched them fly in allowed looping T&Gs, so it is more of an apples-oranges comparison. The best person to ask this question (since he probably holds the record) would be Jerry Smith of Kentucky.
Way back when: IN 1997, I did the drive to Alaska. I was in the Anchorage area for several weeks. The Anchorage RC Club financed Jerry Smith to come up there and show them some of the Competition Fun Fly stuff that was in style back then. I will never forget that standing back some 15 ft. behind him, I watched Jerry do a task of loop style Touch and Go. The model was small with a small screamer engine. Jerry was barely Antenna distance from the model. He went into a Loop and Touch & Go program that was absolutely unbelievable. I could only see a couple verticals, 1 going up and 1 going down. Jerry's loops were not more than I say 5 ft. vertical and maybe 3 ft in the horizontal. UNREAL. His body shaded out almost everything.
I often wonder if he is still in the business.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:36 AM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

I have an original Coal Hauler in the works, a Webra .32GT with mousse pipe to power it. Nothing like a Fun Fly plane, lots of fun & adrenaline!