Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Added Charges to PayPal

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 07:13 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Added Charges to PayPal

What is with all the members in the Marketplace adding an addition fee to use PayPal. This is against PayPal rules and I beleive it is unethical. If you want use PayPal, you should have to pay you fees as everyone else does.
PayPal specificly forbids this practice in section"V" of the "Payment policy":

"No Surcharges. Under Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express regulations and the laws of several states, including California, merchants may not charge a fee to the buyer for accepting credit card payments (often called a "surcharge"). You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as payment. This restriction does not prevent you from imposing a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge (in other words, the handling fee for transactions paid through PayPal may not be higher than the handling fee for transactions paid through other payment methods). "
Old 08-02-2005, 07:37 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Added Charges to PayPal

ORIGINAL: TLH101

What is with all the members in the Marketplace adding an addition fee to use PayPal. This is against PayPal rules and I beleive it is unethical.
Yup, it is. This is why I do not do business with people who charge such a fee, or those who use the Western Union BidPay service. Fees such as this should be paid by the seller, not the buyer. It's part of the cost of doing business. The more buyers go along with such misbehaviour, the more common it will be.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:19 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

If the seller says he will ONLY take Paypal I agree that he should be paying the fee..However if a seller gives another option like a MO or Cashiers Check and the buyer says he wants to use Papal then thats his choice and he should pay the extra cost IMO
Old 08-02-2005, 08:42 PM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand Joe's thinking, but the problem I have is that sellers, by using paypal have agreed to abide by paypal's policies. If they don't like the policy they can make the decision to not use the service. By not using the service they may loose some business, so they have to weigh the advantages. Lots of sellers in the RC business operate on a slim profit margin so there is a bit of a dilemma for the seller.

As a buyer we also have options. If we do not like the fact that a seller adds a surcharge we can choose to not do business with them. The other option is to report them to paypal.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:16 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

The "Deputy" has hit on the point I was trying to make. I am sure too, that many of the people who are chargeing the extra fee do not even realize thet it is against P/P policy.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:20 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah Johnson

If the seller says he will ONLY take Paypal I agree that he should be paying the fee..However if a seller gives another option like a MO or Cashiers Check and the buyer says he wants to use Papal then thats his choice and he should pay the extra cost IMO
Personally, I think these are even worse choices. I absolutely will NOT send a money order or cashier's check to a stranger. I don't care how good the deal is. Paypal offers protection for both parties, and for casual sellers, and all buyers, it's free.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:20 PM
FOD MAN

well said deputy.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94153.gif
Views:	10
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	304888  
Old 08-02-2005, 09:35 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: depfife

I understand Joe's thinking, but the problem I have is that sellers, by using paypal have agreed to abide by paypal's policies. If they don't like the policy they can make the decision to not use the service. By not using the service they may loose some business, so they have to weigh the advantages. Lots of sellers in the RC business operate on a slim profit margin so there is a bit of a dilemma for the seller.

As a buyer we also have options. If we do not like the fact that a seller adds a surcharge we can choose to not do business with them. The other option is to report them to paypal.
Good point!
Old 08-02-2005, 09:49 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Ok, they can just raise the selling price to include the paypal charges. Problem solved.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:07 PM
Jim Thomerson

My daughter gave me $40 PayPal dollars for Father's Day. I have been trying to spend it on my favorite auction site. I've been adding $40 to my usual bid for things and still haven't been successful. One seller had something I wanted, and I would probably have bid successfully; however, he did not take PayPal[]